Bitcoin Forum
October 09, 2024, 03:25:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help the Bitcoin community by helping people to stop using MtGox  (Read 768 times)
God (OP)

Activity: 169
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:11:12 PM
Last edit: February 23, 2014, 11:36:08 PM by God

You probably know already that the bitcoin "crashes" caused by MtGox are not a problem with Bitcoin itself. The sooner people stop using MtGox, the better for Bitcoin and for us. We need people to stop using MtGox in order to be able to focus on the development of Bitcoin. Specifically, we need to stop new bitcoin users to get goxed because they read about bitcoin and see MtGox being mentioned as the biggest Bitcoin exchange in old articles.

I propose the following actions in order to accomplish this and by doing so, helping Bitcoin in the long term.
  • Email websites that still mentions MtGox as a working exchange. They should be told that MtGox no longer works and that thousands of people are out their money that is locked in their MtGox accounts.
  • New bitcoin users might read about MtGox in old news articles, google "mtgox" and end up creating an account there. I have created the site mtgoxsucks.org and am trying to make it appear in the search results next to mtgox so that at least new users get a chance to read about the problems before they lose their money.
  • I would like to get funding to advertise mtgoxsucks.org with Google AdWords. This should be a cheap way to reach lots of new bitcoiners before they get goxed.
  • In order to make mtgoxsucks.org rank better in Google, I need people to link to it from their sites, blogs or forum posts. I'm making more tools for this available soon.

Thanks for reading and please let me know your thoughts about this.

MakeBelieve

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:20:29 PM

I'm sure mtgox is going to be used by any of the serious Bitcoin users it will only be used by gamblers who like a 100% to lose their money.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:24:51 PM

Great job

I think it is important to mention that the CEO refused to say if the company is solvent in a interview to Wall Street Journal  (could not found on the site)
 http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2014/02/17/Mt-Gox-CEO-apologizes-for-bitcoin-withdrawal-freeze/UPI-99051392667941/#ixzz2uARVjdlq
Sheldor333

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:28:33 PM

As long as people have money there and withdrawals are disabled I don't see this working out. I bet most people would back away from MtGox but they can't.

God (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:30:01 PM

Great job

I think it is important to mention that the CEO refused to say if the company is solvent in a interview to Wall Street Journal  (could not found on the site)
 http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2014/02/17/Mt-Gox-CEO-apologizes-for-bitcoin-withdrawal-freeze/UPI-99051392667941/#ixzz2uARVjdlq

Thanks, I will do this. This is the kind of tips I need. There's so much to write and I want to post the most relevant information with proper sources linked.

bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:30:35 PM

As long as people have money there and withdrawals are disabled I don't see this working out. I bet most people would back away from MtGox but they can't.

As i understand, It is aimed at newbies who are are clueless
God (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:31:11 PM

Yes, for this reason my focus is to stop people from starting to use MtGox in the first place.

DooMAD
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 3188

Leave no FUD unchallenged

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 11:55:24 PM

Feel free to use this and this image if they're helpful in getting the message across.  

There's also a reddit topic here:  http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1xjhe1/time_to_boycott_gox/

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██
█████████▀██▀████████
████████▀
░░░░▀░░██████████
███████████▌░░▄▄▄░░░▀████████
███████
█████░░░███▌░░░█████████
███
████████░░░░░░░░░░▄█████████
█████████▀░░░▄████░░░░█████████
███
████▄▄░░░░▀▀▀░░░░▄████████
█████
███▌▄█░░▄▄▄▄█████████
▀████
██████▄██
██████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀
.BitcoinCleanUp.com.

.     Debunking Bitcoin's Energy Use     .
███████████████████████████████
███████▀█████████▀▀▀▀█▀████████
███████▌░▀▀████▀░░░░░░░▄███████
███████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████
███████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▄▄████████████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
...#EndTheFUD...
God (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 12:01:58 AM

Feel free to use this and this image if they're helpful in getting the message across.  

There's also a reddit topic here:  http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1xjhe1/time_to_boycott_gox/

Thanks, I will make a section for graphics/buttons/banners.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: