Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 08:20:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which of the following occupations is most inherently evil?
Lawyer - 3 (9.7%)
Marketer - 1 (3.2%)
Government soldier - 1 (3.2%)
Military recruiter - 1 (3.2%)
Factory line worker - 0 (0%)
Law enforcement official (police officer) - 1 (3.2%)
Lobbyist - 3 (9.7%)
Politician - 4 (12.9%)
Bank executive - 6 (19.4%)
Tax collector - 0 (0%)
Debt collector - 0 (0%)
Salesman (incl. cold calls, house visits) - 0 (0%)
Religious official - 3 (9.7%)
Pharma company exec. - 1 (3.2%)
Thief (pickpocket, scammer, blackhat) - 3 (9.7%)
Alcohol manufacturing exec. - 1 (3.2%)
Tobacco product exec. - 1 (3.2%)
Bum (panhandler, professional welfare jockey) - 1 (3.2%)
Non-profit executive - 1 (3.2%)
Other - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which of the following occupations is most inherently evil?  (Read 1417 times)
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 06:05:02 AM

Question obviously intended to be answered subjectively.
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 06:42:47 AM

although most of them are evil ...! but few of them tops that list..! btw any logical pattern you thought of before putting up the voting options, Lawyer is on the top in voting list is it because that is the first thing popped up in your mind while thinking about most inherently evil occupations, or any other reason. 

austins

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 07:04:18 AM

the Thief ,pickpocket and hacker.

Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 07:16:07 AM

although most of them are evil ...! but few of them tops that list..! btw any logical pattern you thought of before putting up the voting options, Lawyer is on the top in voting list is it because that is the first thing popped up in your mind while thinking about most inherently evil occupations, or any other reason. 
I was waiting for a coffee pot's water reservoir to fill and wondered if marketers (specifically, deceptive marketing tactics and non-obvious psychological manipulation) were "under-hated" compared to lawyers (which I really should have sub-categorized in the poll, but with limited option choices on forum, it'd turn into "which type of lawyer do you most hate?"). Cheesy Outside those top two, there is no logical order... I tried to categorize some a bit and put them closer together, but for no reason other than to maybe make it easier to choose.

Some occupations are thrown in only to fish for interesting perspectives. I was thinking about including Monsanto as its own category... Cheesy
Kaligulax

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 08:19:07 AM

Politician.
name of the movie "Hitler - The Rise of Evil" shows us that!!!
That is not opinion this is a fact. Smiley

1FxCUCAij9FT9fXQSqYHHMiaELhRTAhui6
TrailingComet

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 08:33:26 AM

Cigarette Company execs
Pharma Co Execs

hostmaster

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 08:36:09 AM

Pharma & Banks executive GREAT EVIL twins!
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 08:39:33 AM

Giraffe wrangler. Most evil. Ever.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 09:06:02 AM

I know you probably didn't mean for it to go in this direction, but I personally don't think it really matters which is the most "inherently evil occupation"; be it a lawyer, or a thieft, or whatever it may be, these occupations only exist because society as it is now either directly rewards them or makes them inevitable. So, I guess what I'm saying is: instead of hating on a particular group, look for ways to make them obsolete.
Nathonas

Activity: 280

Knowledge is Power

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 09:12:39 AM

You're missing a few options:

[] Rob Ford
[] Stephen Harper
[] Frappuccino-loving CEO
[] Thanks Obama

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
DubFX

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 09:13:00 AM

Pharma comp. and politicans
Sirrah

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 09:14:07 AM

Since this is meant to be answered subjectively then I would say that no "occupation" is inherently evil. Jobs are merely a means to an end, a tool perhaps that may be used according to an individual's morality and perceived based upon another individual's morality. No job is going to impede someone's decision to commit an immoral act, it is solely based upon the individual, not any other external factor.
Nathonas

Activity: 280

Knowledge is Power

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 09:16:51 AM

Since this is meant to be answered subjectively then I would say that no "occupation" is inherently evil. Jobs are merely a means to an end, a tool perhaps that may be used according to an individual's morality and perceived based upon another individual's morality. No job is going to impede someone's decision to commit an immoral act, it is solely based upon the individual, not any other external factor.

Yes but you have to agree some jobs attract a higher proportion of "evil" individuals. IE, jobs that involve making large amounts of money and power - politics and business. Once again, not suggesting that everyone or most of the people in these fields are "evil" and corrupt, but that you will have a higher chance of finding these kinds of individuals in these fields.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 09:17:47 AM

I was wondering if I was going to be the one to have to post this, I agree with you, it's the same logic that is used in blaming inanimate objects or a type of media for murder, just because someone does something that gets publicised a lot ( which is usually the cause for this kind of thinking ) doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with it, take Bitcoin for example, lots of media are claiming it's evil and it's only going to be used by terrorists and drug dealers, but do we listen to them? No, because we actually have knowledge on the subject and don't form prejudices against the people who use it, I also remember there being an article once about a small time banker who received bailout money and instead of running off with it like the rest of the CEO's did he actually gave it away to his employees because he knew the bank was going to collapse regardless.

Even when it comes to bankers and the military I refuse to get funnelled into this way of thinking where something inanimate or a title automatically equates somebody to being something.
Sirrah

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 09:30:46 AM

Yes but you have to agree some jobs attract a higher proportion of "evil" individuals. IE, jobs that involve making large amounts of money and power - politics and business. Once again, not suggesting that everyone or most of the people in these fields are "evil" and corrupt, but that you will have a higher chance of finding these kinds of individuals in these fields.

Not necessarily, there are many ways to refute such an argument, the simplest being that your perception of "evil" nature and what it consists of may differ from individuals (i.e truth is relative) and hence we cannot agree. Alternatively (and preferrably) I will argue (for the sake of argument/playing the devil's advocate) that being "evil" and having a desire for money and power are not at all related, and hence that those who aspire to positions that have the latter may or may not be evil. Statistically speaking there may an indication of such an occurance, but it could be simply pure chance unrelated to the "evilness" of a person. 
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 09:33:56 AM

Money is the root of all evil, right?
Sirrah

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 09:38:46 AM

I was wondering if I was going to be the one to have to post this, I agree with you, it's the same logic that is used in blaming inanimate objects or a type of media for murder, just because someone does something that gets publicised a lot ( which is usually the cause for this kind of thinking ) doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with it, take Bitcoin for example, lots of media are claiming it's evil and it's only going to be used by terrorists and drug dealers, but do we listen to them? No, because we actually have knowledge on the subject and don't form prejudices against the people who use it, I also remember there being an article once about a small time banker who received bailout money and instead of running off with it like the rest of the CEO's did he actually gave it away to his employees because he knew the bank was going to collapse regardless.

Even when it comes to bankers and the military I refuse to get funnelled into this way of thinking where something inanimate or a title automatically equates somebody to being something.

The primary example that comes to my mind is the concept of gun freedoms. I don't live in America (so I have not been so greatly exposed to the mindset/attitude to guns over there) but here in Australia guns have been banned for more than a decade. Guns are usually immediately associated with murder and violence, simply for the fact that many crimes are committed with them and that they are designed for the purposing of harming others. However, the gun itself is not the problem (it is a tool) it is the intent of the person using it to harm people. So in this regard I do not feel that guns are are inherently evil nor the people who have made them - many simply seeking wealth. This, however, may seem to contradict my view that guns should be outlawed, which is actually a different argument altogether based upon the merits and problems associated with a gun free country.
Automatic

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 09:43:04 AM

Thief, but, I don't agree with defining hackers and thieves.

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 10:51:20 AM

Thief, but, I don't agree with defining hackers and thieves.
"Unauthorized crackers" sounds too much like White people in Detroit.
Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 11:02:15 AM

Only one vote for politician :O

I am disappointed

They work really hard to ripp us off and this is the credit they get Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: