Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:51:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Miner Partner  (Read 3888 times)
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 23, 2011, 11:54:15 PM

We may soon be offering a service along the lines of this. We being a coworker and I who have recently (1+month) begun building rack/cage based GPU rigs of our own. We are located in central California.

To overcome the trust issues/concerns what do you all think about us covering a percentage of the FMV of a GPU entrusted to us prior to delivery of a GPU? Say for example if we were to pay the provider of the GPU 50% of FMV of the card prior to shipment and payment be considered prepayment of expected BTC rewards. When the GPU works off the prepayment the provider begins receiving percentage/share/whatever based rewards.

Is something like this of interest to anyone?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anonymous

March 24, 2011, 12:06:12 AM

We may soon be offering a service along the lines of this. We being a coworker and I who have recently (1+month) begun building rack/cage based GPU rigs of our own. We are located in central California.

To overcome the trust issues/concerns what do you all think about us covering a percentage of the FMV of a GPU entrusted to us prior to delivery of a GPU? Say for example if we were to pay the provider of the GPU 50% of FMV of the card prior to shipment and payment be considered prepayment of expected BTC rewards. When the GPU works off the prepayment the provider begins receiving percentage/share/whatever based rewards.

I feel like stealing your business plan. If your idea works, you could amass enough GPUs in one location to potentially start the largest pool in the network.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2011, 12:06:57 AM

Could work but you're going to need more than that for some people. You could get ripped off too. I could see you sending the 50% and never getting the card.
Or someone else sends you the card and only gets the 50% basically you getting a really good deal.

I'd personally want more to go by before I sent cash or cards.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Anonymous

March 24, 2011, 12:09:02 AM

Trust wouldn't be an issue once business gets going.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2011, 12:13:57 AM

Trust wouldn't be an issue once business gets going.

Yeah I agree, I had it more aimed at the guy with a post count of 1 and I'm talking about in the beginning.

moneyandtech.com
trentzb

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 12:20:57 AM

Yeah I agree, I had it more aimed at the guy with a post count of 1 

..and a registration date of today. Been lurking a while, I finally decided to get more involved.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2011, 12:30:52 AM

Yeah I agree, I had it more aimed at the guy with a post count of 1 

..and a registration date of today. Been lurking a while, I finally decided to get more involved.

I did the same. Not trying to call you out, obviously good sense to make sure who you're sending money to though lol I wouldn't expect you to just send me some cash either  Grin

moneyandtech.com
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 02:27:51 AM

I think it's a really good idea. Although it's probably not the kind of thing you reveal this early, because like Atlas said, it may get stolen. You could also have your own 5970's and charge for a share of the mining. I think someone had mentioned mining contracts before, but this could be a month to month thing where someone pays like $10 or 10btc a month to reap 5% of everything mined by that card. Or a time share thing, where you pay day to day and get what's mined that day.
trentzb

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 06:29:18 AM

I think it's a really good idea. Although it's probably not the kind of thing you reveal this early, because like Atlas said, it may get stolen.

Well that would just motivate us to provide an increasingly better service. Although I would not consider it stealing, rather I would encourage it.

Thanks for the feedback guys, this was one of a handful of ideas we have been tossing around.
Anonymous

March 24, 2011, 08:21:00 AM

I think it's a really good idea. Although it's probably not the kind of thing you reveal this early, because like Atlas said, it may get stolen.

Well that would just motivate us to provide an increasingly better service. Although I would not consider it stealing, rather I would encourage it.

Thanks for the feedback guys, this was one of a handful of ideas we have been tossing around.

Isnt elecricity expensive in california ?

What sort of ongoing costs do you have ?
trentzb

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 03:25:52 PM

I have my kids pedaling bicycle generators.  Smiley

We are at $0.095 for electricity and no other costs. If space (garage) and/or bandwidth becomes an issue we have physical access to a local data center that we have used in the past and at very reasonable rates.

We built a little rack/cage system for densely mounting many cards in a compact space so I don't see space as an issue whether garage or data center. Currently working through a cooling design to accommodate large quantity of GPUs but I think this will be done within a week or so.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: