Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 06:28:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For the life of me I can't understand why people used Gox to begin with  (Read 635 times)
solid12345 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 02:21:52 PM

I can understand being tied up in the beginning when there were few exchanges and their reputation wasn't sullied yet...but to keep paying as much as $100-$150 MORE per Bitcoin versus all other exchanges when all their problems have been known for at least 2 years now, what were people smoking? Gox's effects on the market wouldn't have been so bad if people hadn't propped it up into the giant entity it had become in the first place.
joshv06

Activity: 991
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 02:24:14 PM

You just made your account a month ago.

Mt. Gox used to be the best. It was all we used back when we could use Dwolla and Mt. Gox.

What's with all these new people coming in?

Another example:

"Why don't people just buy on Gox and sell on other exchanges!"

D A I L Y -  C R Y P T O  -  G I V E W A Y S
▬▬ ●●     Your source for daily free giveaways !    ●● ▬▬
DISCORD    -    TWITTER    -    WEBSITE
solid12345 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 02:43:38 PM

Bitstamp has been around since 2011, BTC-E and CampBX since 2011 as well just to name a few. No one woke up one day and realized Gox's problems, there was plenty of time to get out and go somewhere else but people kept buying.

If you want your Bitcoin to be worth anything in the future you better expect new blood.

pinkmonkey

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 02:45:22 PM

You just made your account a month ago.

Mt. Gox used to be the best. It was all we used back when we could use Dwolla and Mt. Gox.

Another example:

new people not allowed or what?
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 02:46:42 PM

Yeah, I am getting really sick of that one.

It's the same lack of deep comprehension of counterparty risk that blocks a lot of people from understanding the gold market.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 02:47:49 PM

They used it because they were trying to make a quick buck arbitraging.

Which is partially why I have very little pity for them, whining that they can't get their money out now.

90% of the people I know (and have read in articles) who have money stuck there, were trying to play the system.  And those people, in my opinion, are why Bitcoin's price has been so volatile.  Therefore in my opinion, those people were doing a disservice to Bitcoin and its reputation, and its growth.  So part of me is quite happy that they've been clipped at the wings.  

I am not sure why, but people who try to play the system, at the expense of the system over and over just to make a couple bucks, remind me of bottom feeders.  

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 02:48:38 PM

Bitstamp has been around since 2011, BTC-E and CampBX since 2011 as well just to name a few. No one woke up one day and realized Gox's problems, there was plenty of time to get out and go somewhere else but people kept buying.

If you want your Bitcoin to be worth anything in the future you better expect new blood.

Well said! This place can be hard on new guys. OTOH, there's some really interesting people here.

On topic, I never used Gox cuz I got involved in BTC about the time they started unravelling. I am a new guy, and I saw this coming a while back.

There is one upside though. When it all shakes out, bitcoin should rocket up a ways again. Ok, two. I'm pretty sure that even if they get it sorted, Gox is done.
joshv06

Activity: 991

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 02:56:17 PM

Nothing wrong with new people. But a bit of research would be nice. Especially all the buy on gox and sell on another exchange new people.

D A I L Y -  C R Y P T O  -  G I V E W A Y S
▬▬ ●●     Your source for daily free giveaways !    ●● ▬▬
DISCORD    -    TWITTER    -    WEBSITE
BitCoinsLOL

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 02:59:49 PM

New people are always welcome to join the cause. When I started I just read posts and learned a lot about BTCs function and community. There are some really bright people on this site and you will learn so much. Glad to have you aboard enjoy.

I never thought my life could be. Anything but catastrophe. But suddenly I begin to see. A "BIT" of good luck for me. Cause I've got a golden ticket!
solid12345 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 03:15:22 PM

Nothing wrong with new people. But a bit of research would be nice. Especially all the buy on gox and sell on another exchange new people.

I don't think one has to "research" to have the common sense to know you should NEVER store huge sums of wealth on an exchange long-term, no matter how trustworthy you think they are until we see some legal and notarized insurance in place. It is an exchange, not a bank. I have sympathy for people who may be out a few bitcoins but come on, people who had hundreds and even thousands of bitcoins stored there? That is insane.

Anyway thank you to all others on this thread who are welcoming  Smiley
rikkejohn

Activity: 644

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 04:07:23 PM

Gox was more expensive, but not at the bottom of a crash. I had bitcoin there just for that reason. Sell at a high, buy at the low, which is the essence of bitcoin trading.

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
rikkejohn

Activity: 644

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 04:10:40 PM

They used it because they were trying to make a quick buck arbitraging.

Which is partially why I have very little pity for them, whining that they can't get their money out now.

90% of the people I know (and have read in articles) who have money stuck there, were trying to play the system.  And those people, in my opinion, are why Bitcoin's price has been so volatile.  Therefore in my opinion, those people were doing a disservice to Bitcoin and its reputation, and its growth.  So part of me is quite happy that they've been clipped at the wings.  

I am not sure why, but people who try to play the system, at the expense of the system over and over just to make a couple bucks, remind me of bottom feeders.  

-B-

That is pretty stupid reply if you don't mind me saying. Bitcoin is utterly manipulated by big players, and has been ever since I bought into it.

If you find some moral purpose to it in its current state then I pity you.

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: