Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 08:38:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Can a Macbook be recovered only having the computers serial number and box / proof or purchase?
Yes - 3 (13.6%)
Possible? - 1 (4.5%)
Aboslutely not - 18 (81.8%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a laptop / data be recovered with only serial number (BTC DATA)  (Read 1209 times)
Trance (OP)

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 03:44:33 PM

I have the Macbooks serial number and all information located on the box / receipt.

Only problem is that this computer was stolen in late 2010 and I filed a Police report at the time but recent information has brought this computer to my attention once again, but on a different level, I have some very expensive data on this laptop and will pay UPFRONT for its recovery!

I have tried out a few websites but all want the Serial number and info upfront, Is it possible for one to take my information and actually find my Macbook and take it for themselves?

Disregard the stupid defamation of character -- I don't care if anyone believes me, I only care about recovering my Macbook and its significant data!

Thanks in advance~

(Tipping BTC for good resources, post address below)

Some people are so poor ALL they have is money
TKeenan

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 03:51:49 PM

I have the Macbooks serial number and all information located on the box / receipt.

Only problem is that this computer was stolen in late 2010 and I filed a Police report at the time but recent information has brought this computer to my attention once again, but on a different level, I have some very expensive data on this laptop and will pay UPFRONT for its recovery!

The NSA has all this information.  Write a nice letter to them and explain you'd like you data back.  Be sure to include the serial number so it more easy for them to find.  But if you don't have that, just give them your cell phone number and they will have everything on a disk for you within an hour.  No worries!
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 03:54:09 PM

The NSA has all this information.  Write a nice letter to them and explain you'd like you data back.  Be sure to include the serial number so it more easy for them to find.  But if you don't have that, just give them your cell phone number and they will have everything on a disk for you within an hour.  No worries!

He's right. They should have the most recent image of your disk available instantly.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
Trance (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 03:56:07 PM

The NSA has all this information.  Write a nice letter to them and explain you'd like you data back.  Be sure to include the serial number so it more easy for them to find.  But if you don't have that, just give them your cell phone number and they will have everything on a disk for you within an hour.  No worries!

Yeah right.... If only the NSA was used for things like this.

Nobody wants to help because they are wondering why I'm searching FOUR years after the computer was stolen, now i'm considered a scam! Which makes no sense considering I only offered money to those willing to help with my recovery process~

I enjoyed your joke  Kiss

Rannasha

Activity: 728

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 04:07:53 PM

Unless you have access to the actual computer or its harddisk, you can't get the data back. Simple as that.

If you made backups of the harddisk at some point, you should look at those. But without backups, you're out of luck unless by some miracle you find the device back.
Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 06:01:17 PM

OP, are you trolling? If so, well done! If not, are you sure???  If someone took your laptop 4 years ago, do you think it will still contain your data?  Good luck either way.
YourFriendlyNig

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 06:19:33 PM

I have tried out a few websites but all want the Serial number and info upfront, Is it possible for one to take my information and actually find my Macbook and take it for themselves?

Disregard the stupid defamation of character -- I don't care if anyone believes me, I only care about recovering my Macbook and its significant data!

Thanks in advance~

(Tipping BTC for good resources, post address below)
Have you ever connected the Apple account to ANY OF THE APPS (e.g Mail, MobileMe(2010)/iCloud, etc.) on the old Macbook, i'm pretty sure If you give Apple support your Apple ID+serial No., they MIGHT be able to find it.

Also, If you've ever used Gmail on your old MB, this MIGHT help: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/45938?hl=en

Also, I've heard that Microsoft can have IP history logs for Hotmail, but i think you might have to call them.

Finally, why didn't you have a backup/cold storage?

Do you have a public address for the bitcoin wallet? Maybe you could see the transactions to make sure they are there?

Oh, and the Blockchain.info wallet in the sig Wink
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 06:44:45 PM

it would be too easy if everyone were able to recover any lost data from any device by its serial number only. no more lost pictures, emails, other docs due to hardware failures, theft or user mis-handles.
bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 06:45:54 PM

Have you tried logging in to iTunes to purchase a new album?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
Trance (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:23:22 PM

OP, are you trolling? If so, well done! If not, are you sure???  If someone took your laptop 4 years ago, do you think it will still contain your data?  Good luck either way.

Ive been told even it the drive was cleared that the data still sits within and that a forensics extraction could recover it**

governments do it all the time apparently, im waiting for responses from several individuals working on this recovery project for me, thanks for your input

Trance (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:23:57 PM

Have you tried logging in to iTunes to purchase a new album?

No i have not purchased anything through iTunes besides downloading apps onto my iPhone and other Apple devices~ why do you ask!?

m86

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:25:36 PM

If you happen to have the MAC address of the Wi-Fi card within the MacBook (any old router/firewall logs lying around? possibly a picture of the MAC on the unit's label?) .. there would at least be a chance. .. however slim that might be.

If it was logged by a wardriver using kismet, the client MAC *could* have ended up being logged into WiGLE's database. This would be a really really long shot, but it would be worth a look.
If you think it might still be in the general area, you could grab an ALFA and go wardriving yourself. (This is almost assured to be a complete waste of time).

.. but, even if you did manage to recover it, you would still be banking on the following
*the original hard drive remained (and is in working order)
*the thief didn't inadvertently discover your stash of internet monies
*the wallet was not overwritten or otherwise unrecoverable
Singlebyte

Activity: 854

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:18:28 AM

Since you questions has nothing to do with bitcoins, why don't you find a Mac forum to ask your question?  You'll probably get some more accurate answers.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 01:29:41 AM

Why are you using a MAC?

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 01:54:57 AM

Ive been told even it the drive was cleared that the data still sits within and that a forensics extraction could recover it**
This is not true and if anyone offered to try this for you do please make sure they are working on the basis of "no find no fee".

Overwritten data is not recoverable from any HDD made in the last 10 years. A lab with scanning electron microscopes tried it and achieved worse results than guessing, on a per-bit basis.
Joe_Bauers

Activity: 802
Merit: 1003

GCVMMWH

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 02:29:49 AM

This is not true and if anyone offered to try this for you do please make sure they are working on the basis of "no find no fee".

Overwritten data is not recoverable from any HDD made in the last 10 years. A lab with scanning electron microscopes tried it and achieved worse results than guessing, on a per-bit basis.

On top of that, even if FDR IS possible, it would highly depend on whether the laptop was used over the past 4 years. If used even on a limited basis, it is very likely that the original data has been overwritten numerous times by now.  Like I said OP, good luck, but it's not looking good.  Undecided
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 03:32:34 AM

The NSA has an image of the disk the last time it logged into the internet.

Email them on nsa.gov

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: