Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:20:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When will the twitter insanity end?  (Read 123 times)
cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 06:29:08 PM

Twitter is one of my favorite places to spend time at lately. Given that reddit is just complete nonsense of 15 year olds posting memes and so on, I've bookmarked my favorite twitters and read them from time to time, sometimes interesting conversations happen in the replies.

The problem: Lately twitter is becoming FILLED with massive amounts of scammers posing as a famous person trying to trick noobs by posing as them. See this:

https://www.coindesk.com/researchers-discover-huge-crypto-scam-botnet-on-twitter/

The team notably found a single network of over 15,000 bots in a three-tiered structure that spread the fake cryptocurrency giveaway, and further evolved as time passed in order to avoid detection.

The Duo team described how the botnet works in a paper to be presented at the 2018 Black Hat cybersecurity event on Wednesday.

Typically, they write, bots first create a spoofed (or copycat) account for a genuine cryptocurrency-related account that would copy the name and profile picture of the legitimate account.

To spread the fake giveaway scam, the bots would reply to tweets posted by the legitimate account, containing a link to entice Twitter users to the scam.

Adding to the complexity, many spoof accounts followed what the researchers termed "hub accounts" and suspect are followed "in an effort to appear legitimate".

The botnet also employed "amplification bots" – other fake accounts that are used to give "likes" to scam tweets to "to artificially inflate the tweet's popularity [and] make the cryptocurrency scam appear legitimate."

I can't no longer bother with twitter anymore as well. I don't see an easy to fix this. Most crypto related places are becoming infested with scammers trying to steal your BTC.

It has gone full circle for me and now this forum feels cleaner than most other places out there, at least the developers section etc.
panjay

Activity: 1079
Merit: 352

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 06:40:31 PM

Yes that was suck. Almost big twitter crypto related account get crypto scam bot who will reply on every tweet they make, usually their (bot) tweet will start with "big news" kinda vibe. It's annoying to just scroll some bot post to search meaningful conversation between crypto people on twitter.

Twitter doesn't do much to make thing right, I mean the scammer always making the bot when the account got suspended and they going smarter day by day, from just copying the nickname and profile picture to using a verified account (the blue checkmark thingy). It needs to stop.

some people using another crypto related platform though like, invested.
Michail9090

Activity: 560
Merit: 100

Change Your Worlds Build a New Era!

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 07:07:27 PM

Twitter is bogged down in cryptography, a system of bots that make money on bounty is only growing.

Orionix        |│        The Future of Gaming Comission Free Games And Items Exchange
[   YOUTUBE   ]      [ AIRDROP ]      [    DISCORD    ]
WHITEPAPER                       TWITTER                       TELEGRAM                       ANN THREAD
mikyadel

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

Arabic Translator

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 07:55:29 PM

this kind of behavior won't ever end as long people fell into it !
using twitter bots is not a new thing , they have already been used to manipulate public opinion and push political agenda, i know that in cyrpto space bots are growing every single day , but people are so greedy that make them dump and hurry to anyone claiming it has a special airdrop or so .

Msworld83
Copper Member

Activity: 448
Merit: 0

StableDex | Decentralized, Secure & Cost Effective

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2018, 08:00:35 PM

Only if the twitter put in place a security measure that will detent similar user names or profile picture and other measure to screen when register.
5ensei

Activity: 728
Merit: 103

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 08:09:40 PM

I only follow a select number of users. Some crypto that I have a vested interest in, and also a couple of trusted news channels. For others that offer amazing airdrop coins if you send them 1 ETH token, I will not waste my time on. Scams on twitter are quite noticeable as they all ask the same thing

Telegram ❒◀           █▆▅▃▂    GoWithMi - Mapping the World on Blockchain    ▂▃▅▆█        Whitepaper❒◀
             Twitter❒◀               The world's first complete decentralized location-based services infrastructure            Facebook❒◀
StGermain

Activity: 224
Merit: 14

QuickX ICO

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 08:19:39 PM

Twitter is one of my favorite places to spend time at lately. Given that reddit is just complete nonsense of 15 year olds posting memes and so on, I've bookmarked my favorite twitters and read them from time to time, sometimes interesting conversations happen in the replies.

True, it is almost impossible to trust twitter without checking the information in other sources. The large numbers of impersonators are creating a disgusting environment and that may end up with twitter being a synonym of fake.

asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 08:23:42 PM

sorry, i'm not very into twitter, but why can't you simple follow the few real trustworthy crypto's account?

i mean...there are a lot of fake account: don't follow them.. what am i missing?
gabrielkings

Activity: 98
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2018, 08:24:42 PM

It is rea9annoying seeing things like that happen on twitter. So many people lost their conscience that they are just after people's btc and ethereum. This is happening because of the policy involved in twitter verification badge and people who end up falling for these scams are newbies who pursue airdrops so much.
drmasa

Activity: 270
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2018, 08:29:26 PM

I dont see problem there, I make lists for everything, and of course list of crypto based twitter acc who I want to follow. And just go on list and look at the tweets and not wasting my time on thinking what is what!
cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 01:22:13 PM

Yes that was suck. Almost big twitter crypto related account get crypto scam bot who will reply on every tweet they make, usually their (bot) tweet will start with "big news" kinda vibe. It's annoying to just scroll some bot post to search meaningful conversation between crypto people on twitter.

Twitter doesn't do much to make thing right, I mean the scammer always making the bot when the account got suspended and they going smarter day by day, from just copying the nickname and profile picture to using a verified account (the blue checkmark thingy). It needs to stop.

some people using another crypto related platform though like, invested.

Unfortunately, it is really not a trivial problem to solve. It involves many things, you can't just put a big ban on all of them, they will keep coming, you must figure a way out of automatically telling if they are going to spam or not. This is obviously very hard to estimate. I think we are going to keep seeing these bots/scammers spamming unless they increase the amount of moderators constantly checking out profiles and manually banhammering them. As of today, we don't have the technology to stop it.

Realize that not even phone verification is useful to stop someone creating 15.000 accounts. We have a similar problem here but in twitter is even worse, and in here we only have a captcha.

It is really nuts how literally seconds after someone famous makes a post the replies get filled with fake crypto giveaways. This is only targeted to the biggest noobs because everyone else would not fall for it.
Bttzed03
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1149

https://bitcoincleanup.com/

View Profile
August 12, 2018, 11:20:33 PM

Yeah it's a pain to see huge number of spammers and scammers on twitter and it gets tiring to report them all. It is only up to twitter to do something about this.
jefcasidy

Activity: 168
Merit: 2

The ProFish online marketplace & tournaments

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 02:19:59 PM

The problem: Lately twitter is becoming FILLED with massive amounts of scammers posing as a famous person trying to trick noobs by posing as them.

I believe Twitter knew about this issue before hand and that's why they introduced the account verification, for me if i see any post from an account that is not a verified account, I don't normally believe in that post, so always check for verified accounts.

════════⟹  Pro Fish  ⟸════════
The ProFish online marketplace & tournaments
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: