Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 05:13:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: clDevicesNum returned error, no GPUs usable  (Read 7623 times)
Desplat13 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 05:23:23 PM

Hello,

I am trying to get setup mining altcoin. I did it very easily on my mac using macminer, so I thought the windows setup would be simple as well. Turns out I am wrong, but perhaps that is because of my unfamiliarity with the OS.

Warning: Newbie here.

Setup: Windows 7 32-bit, monitor attached to AMD X1600 (NOT used for mining). AMD Radeon HD 7950 attached to PC1X slot via adapter.

I have downloaded and installed the latest catalyst center for my card, as well as the latest AMD APP SDK.

When I try to start CGMiner, it says "clDevicesNum returned error, no GPUs usable."

What should I try to do to trouble shoot this? What other information should I give about what is going on?

Thanks!
hostmaster

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 05:24:50 PM

make sure reboot after installed drivers and remove them with their uninstall tool and reboot again!
Desplat13 (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 06:24:38 PM

Thank you Hostmaster,

Yes, I did that. Several times actually. I keep tinkering, trying to find older editions of the SDK, etc, uninstalling, reinstalling, but none of it seems to work.

I actually don't think I have the graphics card working correctly at all yet, as when I try to open catalyst center after installing it, it says "AMD Catalyst Control Center cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using AMD Catalyst Control Center."

However I am not sure how to check on this in windows. It does not show up under "Devices and Printers" but then again none of the graphics cards do.

Also, do I have to use a dummy plug for the card? I am unsure, searching the web. There seem to be different views on whether that is required or not. Might that be the reason my card seems to be inactive?

I downloaded GPU Caps Viewer, and it says "No Graphics Driver Detected!"

So I am probably missing something on the initial setup of my card? Then again, how can there be no graphics driver detected if I am able to use my monitor at all?

Thanks for the help!
Starscream

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 06:25:02 PM

Does Windows detect your 7950 (device manager)?
Desplat13 (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 06:36:08 PM

When I check in the device manager, both of my graphics cards have a yellow triangle (!) by them. When I click on the HD 7950, it says "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

So it is definitely not setup properly. If I try to install the driver by having windows look for it directly from that dialogue window, it says all drivers are up to date, but still says windows cannot load them.

Should I add I am using CGMiner 3.6.6 because read that was the latest that could be used for altcoin mining. When I start that, I get the error, when I open a batch file with the correct info on a pool I am already set up with, it opens for a second and then closes immediately.
Starscream

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 06:44:52 PM

Well, you obviously have driver issue... I'm not sure you can have both cards running considering the x1600 is really quite old.
Desplat13 (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 06:52:53 PM

OK, so I updated the driver for the X1600, since that is what my monitor is plugged into, restarted and that is working correctly now.

But I do not have the proper adapter to plug my monitor into the HD 7950. But I think my motherboard has some graphics built in that I can plug into. Should I try that? Or do you think I have to get the adapter, and just use the HD 7950 exclusively for both my monitor and mining?
Starscream

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 07:07:12 PM

OK, so I updated the driver for the X1600, since that is what my monitor is plugged into, restarted and that is working correctly now.

But I do not have the proper adapter to plug my monitor into the HD 7950. But I think my motherboard has some graphics built in that I can plug into. Should I try that? Or do you think I have to get the adapter, and just use the HD 7950 exclusively for both my monitor and mining?
The 7950 has both DVI-I and HDMI connection, and if you got neither that it means your monitor is quite old. What is this computer used for ?
Desplat13 (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 07:24:43 PM

My Monitor only has a VGA connection. It is an old eMachine monitor, I picked it up at goodwill. I can get the adaptor, they are cheap, just wondering if this will solve the problem?

The computer will be used exclusively for mining once set up. I got the computer super cheap, and then of course spent much more on the graphics card. I was able to get it all set up so easily on my mac, so I thought I'd foray into this area.
Starscream

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 07:52:11 PM

My Monitor only has a VGA connection. It is an old eMachine monitor, I picked it up at goodwill. I can get the adaptor, they are cheap, just wondering if this will solve the problem?

The computer will be used exclusively for mining once set up. I got the computer super cheap, and then of course spent much more on the graphics card. I was able to get it all set up so easily on my mac, so I thought I'd foray into this area.
Since it's gonna serve only for mining you could always keep it headless (without a monitor) and just control it from your main computer using a software, something like Remote Adminstrator or TeamViewer.

Setup one of the softwares I listed (TeamViewer is free), then unplug the old video card and log to the machine remotely and install the drivers for the 7950.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: