Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:36:50 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: High inflationary coins  (Read 618 times)
Jomppe (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 11:38:57 PM

Hello,

What are your thoughts on the coin(s) that have unlimited money supply? Discuss!!!
matthona

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Bitcointalk.org

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 11:42:18 PM

a lot depends on how many new coins are added... if it is a small amount, in an attempt to offset the normal attrition rate that any cryptocoin will have, then I don't see a problem... of course if the coin is adding 20% yearly forever then that would be a problem

▄▌
                         ▄▀
     █▌    ▄▄▄         ▄██ █
    ██   ▀▄██████▄▄▄▄████ ▐█
    ▀██▄▄███████▌███████  █
    ▐████████████████████▄▄█▄
    ▀███████████████▀▀▀██████▄
     █ ██████████▀      ▀█████
    ▐▀  ▀███████  ▄█████████████████▄▄▄
    █▄██▄▄▀█▀█▀▄███████████████▄▀▀   ▄▀
   ████████▄▄▄████▀▀▀██████████▀   ▄▀
  ▄███▀▀██████▀██▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀████▀   ▄▀
 ▄████▄▄▄██▄▄▄       ▄▄   ▄███▀▀▀
▀▄▄ ▀▀█▌█████     ▄▀    ▄███▀
   ▀█▄▄▄█▄▄█▄▀▀▀▀▀▄███▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀
███
▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄
   ▄█▀              ▀█▄
  ▐█       ▄▄▄▄▄      █▌
  █▌       ▀▀███      ▐█
 ▐█        ▄█ ██       █▌
  █▌     ▄█▀          ▐█
  ▐█   ▄█▀            █▌
   ▀█▄█▀            ▄█▀
     ▀██▄▄      ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CRASH

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄
   ▄█▀              ▀█▄
  ▐█    ██▄▄██▄▄██    █▌
  █▌    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▐█
 ▐█      ████████      █▌
  █▌     ████████     ▐█
  ▐█     ████████     █▌
   ▀█▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄█▀
     ▀██▄▄      ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
TOWER

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄
     ▄█▀     ▄██▄     ▀█▄
    ▐█       ▀██▀       █▌
    █▌   ▄▄  ▄██▄  ▄▄   ▐█
   ▐█   ██████████████   █▌
    █▌   ▀▀  ▀██▀  ▀▀   ▐█
    ▐█       ▄██▄       █▌
     ▀█▄     ▀██▀     ▄█▀
       ▀██▄▄      ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DOUBLE
▀▀▀
███
▄▄▄

▄▌
                         ▄▀
     █▌    ▄▄▄         ▄██ █
    ██   ▀▄██████▄▄▄▄████ ▐█
    ▀██▄▄███████▌███████  █
   ▀█▄▄▄█▄▄█▄▀▀▀▀▀▄███▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PyroClasTix

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 11:50:54 PM

I don't mind it as long as the amount isn't ridiculous. A lot of coins do get "lost" sometimes without anyone claiming them or sent to a dead wallet, so some new coins to replace those coins aren't so bad.
Jomppe (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 11:53:26 PM

Which coin you would rather have? A coin with limited mintage or a coin with unlimited mintage and why?
PyroClasTix

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 02:05:44 AM

Which coin you would rather have? A coin with limited mintage or a coin with unlimited mintage and why?
Limited for value, mostly.
matthona

Activity: 350

Bitcointalk.org

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:04:00 PM

you could just as easily ask "which would you rather have? A coin that will eventually disappear through attrition, or one that will always be around?"
and I think you would get a different answer... but it is in essence the same question.. and sure it will take a REALLY REALLY long time for the attrition rates to completely wipe out a coin.. but that is the eventual end of any coin with a set minting amount

▄▌
                         ▄▀
     █▌    ▄▄▄         ▄██ █
    ██   ▀▄██████▄▄▄▄████ ▐█
    ▀██▄▄███████▌███████  █
   ▀█▄▄▄█▄▄█▄▀▀▀▀▀▄███▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀
███
▄▄▄

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄
   ▄█▀              ▀█▄
  ▐█       ▄▄▄▄▄      █▌
  █▌       ▀▀███      ▐█
 ▐█        ▄█ ██       █▌
  █▌     ▄█▀          ▐█
  ▐█   ▄█▀            █▌
   ▀█▄█▀            ▄█▀
     ▀██▄▄      ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CRASH

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄
   ▄█▀              ▀█▄
  ▐█    ██▄▄██▄▄██    █▌
  █▌    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▐█
 ▐█      ████████      █▌
  █▌     ████████     ▐█
  ▐█     ████████     █▌
   ▀█▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄█▀
     ▀██▄▄      ▄▄██▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
TOWER

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
       ▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄
     ▄█▀     ▄██▄     ▀█▄
    ▐█       ▀██▀       █▌
    █▌   ▄▄  ▄██▄  ▄▄   ▐█
   ▐█   ██████████████   █▌
    █▌   ▀▀  ▀██▀  ▀▀   ▐█
    ▐█       ▄██▄       █▌
     ▀█▄     ▀██▀     ▄█▀
       ▀██▄▄      ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DOUBLE
▀▀▀
███
▄▄▄

▄▌
                         ▄▀
     █▌    ▄▄▄         ▄██ █
    ██   ▀▄██████▄▄▄▄████ ▐█
    ▀██▄▄███████▌███████  █
   ▀█▄▄▄█▄▄█▄▀▀▀▀▀▄███▀▀▀
          ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
anderl

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:20:21 PM

Hello,

What are your thoughts on the coin(s) that have unlimited money supply? Discuss!!!

Inaccurate subject line.  You mention high inflationary coins buy you want to discuss unlimited money supply.  THey are two different things.  Almost all coins are inflationary.  High inflation is the generation of more coins per block reward relative to some baseline.  BTC has about a 2% inflation rate after block 840 and after all 21 million coins are generated will have a 0% inflation rate because money supply is fixed.

When you compare other coins to it some have higher or lower rates.  Compare the reward per block to total money supply.

Unlimited money supply coins should be measure by their reward per block compared to total money supply in circulation.  If the reward is fixed or halves over time then the coins have a slowing inflation rate or they are disinflation coins.  Still inflationary but the impact of the reward is less over time.

I prefer disinflationary coins.  You cannot predict the acceptance of a coin by the community.  To set an arbitrary fix amount or to say that you will create 1 coin per person on the planet is ludicrous.  There have been several economic papers discussing bitcoins impact on the economy.  Because of bitcoins model instead of getting raises each year to keep up with inflation worked would have to accept pay cuts each year to deal with the deflation after all the BTC are in circulation.  It's easier to give something to someone than take it away.

Unlimited money supply is a good thing as long as it is a stable and predictable metric that is not at the whim of a governing body that can be corrupted by lobbyists.  A disinflationary coin is a good thing.  As much as I hate DOGE and the stupid meme, I think the unlimited money supply change is a good step forward.  Just rebrand the coin.
Jomppe (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 08:59:42 AM

Let me clarify myself:

BitCoin's total money supply is 21 000 000 coins (the inflation is 0 or negative if we eliminate the lost coins).

WorldCoin has around 260 000 000 coins in total money supply and it is thus similar than bitcoin.

There are however coin(s) that has not limited the money supply and then the money supply basically grows and grows.
The "current" increase towards these maximum numbers I am not considering as inflation.

For the short term, perhaps this doesn't make any difference but if you are investing in a coin for long haul (like for few years), the unlimited money supply will eventually make your purchasing power dropping drastically.
Think about USD - it has lost over 95 % of its purchasing power withing almost 100 years. It means, if you have saved money all your life and today you die at the age of 100, the 100 USD bill you put under your carpet is now worth of only 5 USD in today's terms. However, if you had put acentury ago 100 USD in store to gold bullion, you would have 5 oz of gold (correct if I am wrong) which is today worth of 6000 USD.

I do not say the coins that have unlimited money supply are necessary bad but.... It comes to the cost of savers. I am sorry but if I had to choose a coin, I chose a coin that has limited money supply. Then I have to leave aside some coins and start comparing all the other coins with other feature. To me, however, the limited money supply is the premise # 1 to even consider a coin.

Ix

Activity: 218
Merit: 128

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:19:07 AM

It means, if you have saved money all your life and today you die at the age of 100, the 100 USD bill you put under your carpet is now worth of only 5 USD in today's terms.

If you had saved it at 3% compound interest, you'd have ~$2,000, or a wash.

However, if you had put acentury ago 100 USD in store to gold bullion, you would have 5 oz of gold (correct if I am wrong) which is today worth of 6000 USD.

That's not a very fair comparison considering the price of gold was fixed, then changed to a free float in the 70s. Prior to that, you would have only had gold worth $200 60-70 years later--you would have done much better with savings interest.

It comes to the cost of savers.

Does it though?
hostmaster

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 09:23:31 AM

Hello,

Inflation is actually good thing. but as long as kept %1-2 range
wizby

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:29:45 AM

So basically you want to build another ripple scam? Smiley
anderl

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 02:01:39 PM

Let me clarify myself:

BitCoin's total money supply is 21 000 000 coins (the inflation is 0 or negative if we eliminate the lost coins).

WorldCoin has around 260 000 000 coins in total money supply and it is thus similar than bitcoin.

There are however coin(s) that has not limited the money supply and then the money supply basically grows and grows.
The "current" increase towards these maximum numbers I am not considering as inflation.

For the short term, perhaps this doesn't make any difference but if you are investing in a coin for long haul (like for few years), the unlimited money supply will eventually make your purchasing power dropping drastically.
Think about USD - it has lost over 95 % of its purchasing power withing almost 100 years. It means, if you have saved money all your life and today you die at the age of 100, the 100 USD bill you put under your carpet is now worth of only 5 USD in today's terms. However, if you had put acentury ago 100 USD in store to gold bullion, you would have 5 oz of gold (correct if I am wrong) which is today worth of 6000 USD.

I do not say the coins that have unlimited money supply are necessary bad but.... It comes to the cost of savers. I am sorry but if I had to choose a coin, I chose a coin that has limited money supply. Then I have to leave aside some coins and start comparing all the other coins with other feature. To me, however, the limited money supply is the premise # 1 to even consider a coin.

Ok, but just to be clear so that we are not miscommunicating and for the good of others entering the conversation.  Inflation is defined in economics as general increase in prices and fall in the purchasing value of money.  The cause and velocity of the increase in consumer prices and fall in purchasing value of money is irrelevant.

You have to consider any "current" increase in money supply as a cause for inflation, but they are.  You need to understand that you perceive inflation through your investment time which may not be equal to another persons investment time.

Let me give you an example.  I build a coin with your criteria.  A fixed money supply of 1 trillion coins.  The reward will be 50 coins per block every 5 minutes.  THis means that the reward will stop in 9,512,938 years.

Now, by your reasoning you should agree with this coin as acceptable because it is fixed and rewards savers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: