Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:12:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible FUD: "Leaked" Gox doc claims that 750,000 coins lost over several years  (Read 4175 times)
traderCJ (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 11:42:07 PM

http://two-bit-idiot.tumblr.com/post/77745633839/bitcoins-apocalyptic-moment-mt-gox-may-have-lost

Hard to believe that their auditing system would allow for any leakage, let alone THAT much leakage.  What say you?  I'm putting this in the FUD bin for now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Skoupi

Activity: 252

Skoupi the Great

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 11:43:01 PM

lost like how? Lost private keys?
Sorry i 'm to lazy to even click on a fud blog post...
seldon

Activity: 353

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 11:45:06 PM

complete BS.. there's hardly that many coins on all exchanges combined. 75,000 btc would be a plausible sum if you believed this, 10x this much is just bs
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 11:45:35 PM

complete BS.. there's hardly that many coins on all exchanges combined. 75,000 btc would be a plausible sum if you believed this, 10x this much is just bs
RTFA

This is some really smelly FUD, not even worthy of discussing it.
Dragonkiller

Activity: 378

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 11:48:27 PM

it's from the same guy that was first about the fortress fund  Undecided
Walsoraj

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Ultranode

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 11:50:52 PM

FUD until confirmed by proudhon.
uhoh

Activity: 742

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 11:57:43 PM

someones is trying to get some cheap goxcoins, and sadly its working.
yomofo

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 11:58:38 PM
Last edit: February 25, 2014, 12:09:26 AM by yomofo

the author of the article is a writer for coindesk.com

http://two-bit-idiot.tumblr.com/post/74293526629/big-news-your-favorite-two-bit-idiot-is-partnering

meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 11:59:03 PM

He says it's unverified and then goes on to write about it anyway.

Attention whore.
uhoh

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:01:26 AM

He says it's unverified and then goes on to write about it anyway.

Attention whore.

This.. pathetic
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:02:11 AM

hmm, at this point do we even need manufactured FUD to besmerch the reputation of MtGox? They've done a pretty bang up job of that on their own. 750,000 coins is possible, given that sums of several thousand were child's play when they opened the exchange in 2010. If it's not true, and coins are safe and sound... why have they not re-enabled withdrawals yet? Why no official announcement, "Hey everyone, we'd like to put some rumors to rest..."

Think about it...

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:03:03 AM

A year from now, when we have real professional licensed exchanges in major trade cities, this type of FUD will be rendered almost useless.
uhoh

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:05:51 AM

hmm, at this point do we even need manufactured FUD to besmerch the reputation of MtGox? They've done a pretty bang up job of that on their own. 750,000 coins is possible, given that sums of several thousand were child's play when they opened the exchange in 2010. If it's not true, and coins are safe and sound... why have they not re-enabled withdrawals yet? Why no official announcement, "Hey everyone, we'd like to put some rumors to rest..."

Think about it...

Think the opposite. If they've lost this many coins, then there is literally no way back. They would have said by now, why stall the inevitable?
kireinaha

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:09:34 AM

Think about it...

Think the opposite. If they've lost this many coins, then there is literally no way back. They would have said by now, why stall the inevitable?

Collect fees on people trading during the uncertainty while meanwhile, management moves behind the scenes to minimize damage to their personal assets and perhaps look for investors to bail them out. i suspect that this is what mark and his inner circle are doing now.

MoreFun
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1003

WePower.red

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:10:23 AM

Think about it...

Collect fees on people trading during the uncertainty while meanwhile, management moves behind the scenes to minimize damage to their personal assets and perhaps look for investors to bail them out. i suspect that this is what mark and his inner circle are doing now.

Who will invest in someone losing 750k coins?
kireinaha

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:15:11 AM

Think about it...

they don't necessarily need to cover all the lost coins to give the impression that it's business as usual. but the fact that they've been down for this long and recent actions strongly imply that something is seriously wrong with their accounting, perhaps to a greater degree than they originally believed.

i too doubt any investor would want to step in to provide emergency relief to mtgox, but that wouldn't prevent management from seeking out such a party. this would explain why they're remaining quiet with no further promised dates for updates. they could be trying to save the company, but until something goes through, they can't make any comments.

uhoh

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:17:52 AM

Think about it...

they don't necessarily need to cover all the lost coins to give the impression that it's business as usual. but the fact that they've been down for this long and recent actions strongly imply that something is seriously wrong with their accounting, perhaps to a greater degree than they originally believed.

i too doubt any investor would want to step in to provide emergency relief to mtgox, but that wouldn't prevent management from seeking out such a party. this would explain why they're remaining quiet with no further promised dates for updates. they could be trying to save the company, but until something goes through, they can't make any comments.

It's a good theory, I agree.

Despite this though, that article is pure steaming shit
Dragonkiller

Activity: 378

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:18:36 AM

Think about it...

only satoshi can help them now
uhoh

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:26:23 AM

Only have to look at BB to see that people are buying this rubbish. Unbelievable
CryptoMinter

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:27:01 AM

The cold storage has been wiped out due to a leak in the hot wallet.

What does this even mean?? The hot wallet was run on a water cooled server which was sitting above the cold storage paper wallets and the leak cause the ink to smudge making the keys unreadable? Come on. Even a fool compares assets to liabilities and would notice such a thing.

.. an otherwise reliable source...I trust the authenticity...If this is a hoax, ..I am fully blindsided by [it].  I fear, however, that it is not.

Believe me bro.

So tone neutral:

Apocolyptic,Crisis...  [MtGox] can go bankrupt at any moment, and certainly deserves to..., cause governments to react...harsly, ... this could be the end of Bitcoin... This is catastrophic, and I am sorry to share this... I fear

FUD
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: