Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 01:47:39 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGox lost 750K Bitcoins?  (Read 10483 times)
rdnkjdi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:39:34 AM

Somebody please say it isn't so.

http://two-bit-idiot.tumblr.com/
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 12:47:21 AM

Somebody please say it isn't so.

http://two-bit-idiot.tumblr.com/

I heard about 4000BTC

but I must say I do not care about MtGox at all.
igroock

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:51:46 AM

More ways to scare the public...
h3rlihy

Activity: 356
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:58:21 AM

Mt gox is dead. Everyone should stop caring about what they get up to nowadays xD
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:59:30 AM

BS but based in real facts.
Blinken

Activity: 338
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:08:41 AM

LOL meter maxed out on this one. Crisis Strategy Draft. Right. No author, no date, no document link. Just a bunch of made up BS.

Bitcoin ♦♦♦ Trust in Mathematics, Not Bankers ♦♦♦
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:27:01 AM

LOL meter maxed out on this one. Crisis Strategy Draft. Right. No author, no date, no document link. Just a bunch of made up BS.

Not to mention that it's not even written in the language which would be used by someone preparing a "Crisis Strategy Draft".  It's just not how such documents are written and if it was a genuine MtGox internal document then I'd be more concerned than ever about the competence of those running MtGox.

I'd love to have $100 for ever time I've read about something which supposedly came from a MtGox insider over the past couple of weeks.

Additionally, the owner of the tumblr says nothing at all which establishes him as someone who would have access to credible information regarding MtGox. 

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
zipmaster

Activity: 85

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:33:22 AM

FUDDDDDDD

https://twitter.com/CharlieShrem/status/438111755093671936
jr3951

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:36:41 AM

Charlie Shrem is slowly becoming my hero
btc237ftw

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:37:01 AM

I said this on the exact same OP post on another thread:

I am afraid of clicking that link as I don't know that website. Everyone should be cautious what links they click on when you deal with Bitcoin related stuff.

Anyway, in regards to this... "news" - it seems that the market reacted to it DRAMATICALLY that's for sure. There are many questions to be asked...
I got one for now - how come the figure is a rounded number? is the OP rounding it for us? or the blogger? because if such a theft accrued... it feels pretty safe to say it wouldn't be such a rounded number.

So, those of you who clicked and saw it... what is the actual exact figure "leaked"?
There is a possibility that someone with deep pockets on Gox asked to "leak" this document to collect cheap coins... who knows...

Anyway, time will tell...

What do you think?

Please respond as I will not click that (to me) unknown link,

Thank you
Pierre

Activity: 207

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:39:36 AM

I don't see how anyone could possibly fuck it up that badly, even Gox. Losing hundreds of millions of dollars without noticing? I think not.
ArisKatsaris

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:41:44 AM

Here's a solution: MtGox should come out and state exactly how much bitcoins they have lost (hint, they just need to sum all the bitcoins in the accounts and compare them to how many bitcoins they actually have in their wallet), and promise to repair the losses from their own funds.

The longer MtGox doesn't communicate anything, the more such rumours seem believable.
repentance

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:59:38 AM

Here's a solution: MtGox should come out and state exactly how much bitcoins they have lost (hint, they just need to sum all the bitcoins in the accounts and compare them to how many bitcoins they actually have in their wallet), and promise to repair the losses from their own funds.

The longer MtGox doesn't communicate anything, the more such rumours seem believable.

You're assuming they even know how much they've lost, which might not be the case.  Small businesses often have terrible book-keeping practices and can leak funds all over the place without being aware of it.  You'd really want any statement about the amount of their losses to be independently verified by financial professionals (preferably forensic accountants).

Given how small the MtGox staff is, it would be rather pointless for someone to leak internal documents anonymously.  They might as well release the information with their own name attached as the source of the leak would be established quickly and I doubt any of the staff are so well paid that helping MtGox to cover up would benefit them greatly at this point.

The major problem with the continued silence on the part of MtGox is that all rumours are now being regarded as equally valid.  Some are probably much closer to the truth than others, but there's no real way to objectively assess their validity so people are reacting as though all of them are true or all of them are bullshit.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
btc237ftw

Activity: 157

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:05:28 AM

The major problem with the continued silence on the part of MtGox is that all rumours are now being regarded as equally valid.  Some are probably much closer to the truth than others, but there's no real way to objectively assess their validity so people are reacting as though all of them are true or all of them are bullshit.

Very smart thinking.
What do you think about the "roundness" of the number? 750K coins, why not 756,915 coins? or maybe it isn't rounded? (I didn't click the link),
repentance

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:13:16 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2014, 02:32:24 AM by repentance

The major problem with the continued silence on the part of MtGox is that all rumours are now being regarded as equally valid.  Some are probably much closer to the truth than others, but there's no real way to objectively assess their validity so people are reacting as though all of them are true or all of them are bullshit.

Very smart thinking.
What do you think about the "roundness" of the number? 750K coins, why not 756,915 coins? or maybe it isn't rounded? (I didn't click the link),

FWIW, the supposed "leaked document" has now been posted on scribd and includes an alleged statement of assets and liabilities.  It's somewhat curious that the BTC amounts given in that statement are not rounded but the USD amounts are (the claim against CoinLab is for 5 million plus some, not an exact 5 million).

Here's a link to the document.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/209050732/MtGox-Situation-Crisis-Strategy-Draft

I remain skeptical about its authenticity for many reasons, not least of all because it reads like something put together by a complete amateur.

Unconfirmed reports on reddit that MtGox has now disabled trading.

Can anyone else access Charlie Shrem's Twitter?  Just went to check whether he's said anything more since the document was put on scribd and his Twitter seems to be gone.

eXSn

Activity: 94

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:37:55 AM

The doc had me at Assets = Liabilities

Also heavy lols at the "Other Assets" page

/gg

btbrae

Activity: 680
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:45:18 AM

Unconfirmed reports on reddit that MtGox has now disabled trading.

Not unconfirmed anymore, many members including myself are seeing this message.
dopecoindude
Legendary

Activity: 1512

The Dude Of DopeCoin

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 02:47:39 AM

It is here folks. DopeCoinGOLD . The #1 Crypto-Weed Coin.
beegatewood

Activity: 297
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:48:38 AM

Why would they stop the trading?

dopecoindude
Legendary

Activity: 1512

The Dude Of DopeCoin

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 02:49:12 AM

Why would they stop the trading?

They don't have coins?

It is here folks. DopeCoinGOLD . The #1 Crypto-Weed Coin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: