Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:41:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mtgox live is better than TV!  (Read 1667 times)
cloon (OP)

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 05:30:31 PM

volatility!

thx 4 cheap BTC

donations to 13zWUMSHA7AzGjqWmJNhJLYZxHmjNPKduY
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
322i0n

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2011, 05:58:17 PM

is everybody back in?

Supporting The Global Insurrection Against Banker Occupation
BTC: 1C1w6t1dMkEXeCntURxDiBiWsTbdJbvTr9
NMC: N6uNpVPAdpTur4Hwr8Sqgd6kxcKPto4S2T
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 06:07:37 PM

I want to be done with bitcoin, but I can't divert my gaze from the train wreck at this point.  It's so interesting to read the forums and watch the price.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Edward50

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 06:10:50 PM

I want to be done with bitcoin, but I can't divert my gaze from the train wreck at this point.  It's so interesting to read the forums and watch the price.

Same here, as you probably remember, I've been enjoying the price falling from the $30 dollar mark. I like it because I got flammed to death when I used to say anything negative about bitcoin back then. I also did not like the fact that the forum stopped newbie posts under 50 when the price started to fall hard from the $30 dollar mark. I felt this was a form of manipulation on there part to stop panic selling.

It is enjoyable because people were treating bitcoin like it was a cult thing. They lost all sense of reason and good judgement.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
bitleaker

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 06:12:35 PM

I don't think it will stabilize until it hits the $1-$2 mark. There are more bubbles to pop before this decline is over.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 06:26:46 PM

Same here, as you probably remember, I've been enjoying the price falling from the $30 dollar mark. I like it because I got flammed to death when I used to say anything negative about bitcoin back then. I also did not like the fact that the forum stopped newbie posts under 50 when the price started to fall hard from the $30 dollar mark. I felt this was a form of manipulation on there part to stop panic selling.

It is enjoyable because people were treating bitcoin like it was a cult thing. They lost all sense of reason and good judgement.

I would love for bitcoin to succeed but its reputation has been sufficiently harmed that I don't think it has a reasonable chance at this point.  I'm sorry to admit that I made some poor decisions on misplaced hope.  Thankfully, however, in the end I didn't lose any money.  I did lose an awful lot of time.  Oh the time.  And yet, as I said, I just can't look away at this point.  I'm captivated.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 06:35:19 PM

I would love for bitcoin to succeed but its reputation has been sufficiently harmed that I don't think it has a reasonable chance at this point.  I'm sorry to admit that I made some poor decisions on misplaced hope.  Thankfully, however, in the end I didn't lose any money.  I did lose an awful lot of time.  Oh the time.  And yet, as I said, I just can't look away at this point.  I'm captivated.
The question is did you withdraw all of USD from mtgox already?  If not - then I can bet you'll try the game again one day.
pennytrader

Activity: 254

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 07:01:42 PM

there's nothing wrong with manipulation. Same thing the goverment did during the 2008 stock crash. They formed PPT (Plunge Protection Team), which is similar to the forum Smiley

please donate to 1P3m2resGCP2o2sFX324DP1mfqHgGPA8BL
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 07:51:48 PM

My opinion: the chaos is caused by the wrong people doing speculation. This is the first test if they want to become solid speculators. The sanity among players will have increased by the end of the year.

In addition, if things mature, you'll see users that aren't in for speculation profit, but rather for moving funds. Quite frankly, if those can work in BTC, it will be unimportant what the rest of the world thinks. BTC can come from the back-ends, from the nerds and the outcasts of the financial system. This is good because the average person cannot handle the necessary security measures to directly use BTC.

But let the market finish crashing first. The current mess will be sorted out in speculation, then we can go on. I think it's a good stress test on the whole thing -- if we can't survive this, the project is too weak anyways.
grod

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2011, 08:32:34 PM

I'm still expecting at least a 300% rally.  But not from $3 to $9, expecting that would be insane.  But $1 to $3 is within the realm of possible.
old_engineer

Activity: 387

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 01:34:41 AM

I don't think it will stabilize until it hits the $1-$2 mark. There are more bubbles to pop before this decline is over.

I also think it'll stabilize in $1-$2 range.  I'm only trading to on volatility on the way down, and will start holding long again when it gets to the $1-$1.50 range, which  I think is defensible.

7200 coins * $3.50 * 30 days = $756,000 in new bitcoin value created per month.  Even if only 1/3 of bitcoins are sold immediately (my best guess), that's still $250k, and there's simply not that much interest in bitcoins at the moment, so down the price goes.

At parity with USD, only $2400/day is needed to maintain the network (based again on 1/3 being immediately sold), which is a lot more reasonable.  After dwelling in the Trough of Disillusionment until the 25 coin/block change happens next year, then we'll finally see higher prices.

gewure

Activity: 364

[#][#][#]

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 10:43:07 AM

i calculated about 30.000+ BTC sold today, that caused this chrash... (only mtGOX $, btw)
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
October 17, 2011, 11:29:54 AM

In addition, if things mature, you'll see users that aren't in for speculation profit, but rather for moving funds.

+1, that's why I'm here.

I do feel sorry for those of you who've never dealt with highly speculative investments before and who got lured in by promises that the sky's the limit (sometimes from other noobs, sometimes from scumball pumpers), but pyramids are everywhere...  People get pulled in all the time.  Someone has to be the example we can point to.

That said, I'm laughing the whole way down because the people who're losing big are the silly speculators who ran it up in the first place, and they're the ones who're making BC so volatile that I can't use it as a transactional currency.  I want to buy things, not invest in hopes and dreams, and I can't have my thing until yours is thoroughly crushed.

It's why I'm pushing the idea of a speculation-resistant altchain.  Things shouldn't be allowed to get here in the first place.

I'm still expecting at least a 300% rally.  But not from $3 to $9, expecting that would be insane.  But $1 to $3 is within the realm of possible.

... which is why I think BC is economically broken.  I figure it'll start lower than a buck, but same idea.  I'm afraid we'll have a series of mini-bubbles which will prevent stability from happening for at least a couple more years, during which I'm wasting time and money on international wire transfers to get business done, and feeding PayPal a cut for the small stuff.

Unfortunately the only way around it is a different economic model, and altchains aren't going to be taken seriously any time soon.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: