Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:32:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the difference between token and Coin?  (Read 217 times)
RxxxZ (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 09, 2018, 04:26:05 PM
Merited by Muhibrabby2211 (1)

I actually want to know difference between token and Coin.

Thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
laynum

Activity: 71
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 09:23:00 PM

Just a little I know on this one. Tokens are projects that do not on their own have a blockchain and might need to rely on the blockchain of another. So while coins have their own blockchain, tokens do not. I think this is basically it, or hopefully, someone gives a better reply than I already have, or you source for information somewhere else.
stealth.money

Activity: 561
Merit: 255

Going stealthy

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 09:26:06 PM

The same thing. Some prefer to call coin some prefer token

jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 10:29:33 PM

Just a little I know on this one. Tokens are projects that do not on their own have a blockchain and might need to rely on the blockchain of another. So while coins have their own blockchain, tokens do not. I think this is basically it, or hopefully, someone gives a better reply than I already have, or you source for information somewhere else.

This is the correct answer. Coins are native fuel to their own blockchain. Tokens are orchestrated upon existing blockchains. BTC, LTC, ETH, BCH, XRP etc. etc. are coins. Tron, Augur, Binance Coin, and so on are tokens.
MRlong

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 10:41:02 PM

Thank you.

The difference between Token and Coin is huge. The token is a currency of the ICO project that is designed to attract money from investors who want to invest in the ICO project. With the coin, it is crypto that has been listed on exchange floors and has a potential in the cryptocurrency market. That is the basic difference between coin and token.
JohnWick_Bitcoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 10:45:33 PM

Thank you.

Tokens is just a representation of the coin that is being created by the ico's and they did not have difference, token is just used as a terminology for a coin.
twobits

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 10:52:23 PM

Thank you.

Tokens is just a representation of the coin that is being created by the ico's and they did not have difference, token is just used as a terminology for a coin.
Not the token is an asset that builds on the platform if the coin has its own blockchain and then the asset just pegged to the coin's blockchain and you can see ERC20 token and how it pegged to the ethereum platform.

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
bubidan.id

Activity: 185
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 11:11:11 PM

Token all I know created from mother blockchain, like Ethereum blockchain have ERC20, every ERC20 is a token. But if a coin has an own blockchain. This is all I know, If something goes wrong please correct or comment  Grin Grin

Elysian Finance◆   |   Next generation reverse backed token
https://elysian.finance/
dhemasm

Activity: 1829
Merit: 134

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 11:30:25 PM

After I read some of the previous posts it didn't seem right (Not All), I would try to help clarify. Some people will usually think coins and tokens are same but it's different.

Coin have their own blockchain or not depend on other blockhains unlike tokens. Coin have variety of different features and also the uniqueness of their own blockchain Instead of tokens. Example like Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, etc.

Token created on existing blockchains like ETH (ERC-20), NEO(Nep-5), Stellar(?), Waves(?), Nem (Mossaic, If am not wrong), etc, usually tokens will be used in decentralized applications (dApps) as utility, security and equity tokens.

The point the difference between Coin and tokens is that coin has its own blockchain and tokens using the existing blockchain. Maybe it's just basic, for more details you need to do your own research on google, etc. Please correct me if i'm wrong. Sorry for my bad english and thanks!

Maybe you are interested to reading some references about this case here:
https://blog.citowise.com/the-basics-coin-vs-token-what-is-the-difference-5cd270591538
https://www.bitdegree.org/tutorials/token-vs-coin/

Mishgan27

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 11, 2018, 11:41:17 PM

"A coin is a digital currency that uses its own platform and operates completely independently. No additional platforms are required for coins to work. They operate on their own independent blockchain, for which they are the native currency. Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Ethereum are the coins. The last two belong to the so-called altcoins. This means that they are in some respect an alternative to bitcoin. In General, there are two types of alternative coins:
Altcoins created using the original source code of the bitcoin blockchain, with modifications (e.g. Dogecoin and Litecoin).
Alternative coins created on the basis of independent and new blockchains (for example, Ethereum, Icon, AION.
A token is a cryptocurrency created on top of an existing blockchain or Protocol. Typically, tokens represent an asset or a function (utility). Since tokens are created as an add-on to an existing blockchain, it is easier to create them. Most of the tokens available today are based on the Ethereum blockchain.

Utility token-these tokens are not intended for investment. They are used for transactions, exchange and access to goods or services, that is, allow you to get some "benefit". Since such tokens are not considered an investment, they are not subject to legal regulation (for example, tokens that are used for identification or for games built on the blockchain).
Security tokens-these tokens are considered as assets suitable for investment, and therefore they are subject to the securities legislation. Thus, the us securities and exchange Commission (SEC) applies the Howie test to determine whether a token belongs to securities. If the token does not pass the Howie test, it is considered a security. If the company that issued the tokens meets all regulatory requirements, its token has all the chances to be widely distributed. The best prospects from the point of view of widespread use are tokens, which, like shares, represent a share of ownership of a company or an asset."
source: https://utmagazine.ru/posts/21644-raznica-mezhdu-kriptovalyutnymi-monetami-i-tokenami

✘  EXCOLONY   |▌  YOUR PLEASURE IS OUR INNOVATION
|███   White Paper  [  JOIN our ICO  ]  ANN Thread   ███|
Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Telegram  |  Medium  |  Github  |  Reddit
Cherrybomb

Activity: 114

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 11:29:21 AM

If the token does not pass the Bowtie test, it is considered a security. If the company that issued the tokens meets all regulators requirements.
quanhoaschool

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 11:38:29 PM

oken is a form of calling for capital, as part of a company, and they have not been put into trading on the market, and coin is the form of payment and liquidity of value.
johanesrobin

Activity: 658
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 11:51:47 PM

tokens do not have their own block network, while coins build their own networks. tokens only utilize existing networks such as the erc20 platform.
that's probably what I know about the different tokens and coins.
oegarod

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 11:55:19 PM

In simple terms, coins were the one that has got their own platform and gets developed as well further actions happen with it. When it comes to token, it is an value added token which is developed over some other platform of a coins. In recent days ethereum smart contracts were used much on token creation.
cowardlyleo

Activity: 29

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 12:15:42 AM

Tokens are just like "markers" and after a successful ICO, those will be "changed" to coins.
Brittanythanh

Activity: 24

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 04:36:30 PM

Coin is a token that is accepted by users and traded on the exchange. Token are the products of ICO projects, not on the exchange
shirackjs

Activity: 812
Merit: 256

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 04:41:03 PM

Coins have their own blockchain while tokens are built on existing blockchain. The most common token around is the ERC20 tokens. These tokens are developed from ETH blockchain.
copeteya888

Activity: 50

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 04:50:16 PM

Thank you.

The main difference between coins and tokens is in the structure, coin is a currency that uses its own blockchain platform, while tokens operate using other blockchains that can facilitate smart contracts.
Nalbo

Activity: 870
Merit: 125

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 04:56:06 PM

Token and Coin actually have no difference at all.
In real world, a coin and token are interchangeable, though, coin often have a exchange value to currency while the token may or maynot.
But in virtual token and coin, they have no any difference at all and are used interchangeably.
sergei1703

Activity: 434
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 20, 2018, 04:57:42 PM

Thank you.

The main difference between coins and tokens is in the structure, coin is a currency that uses its own blockchain platform, while tokens operate using other blockchains that can facilitate smart contracts.
The main difference is that the coin has its own blockchain (like Waves) and token is based on an existing blockchain (like OmiseGo). Also there are different token types (erc20, erc777 etc).
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: