Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:29:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Copy of the alleged MTGox Crisis draft strategy  (Read 7311 times)
yomofo (OP)

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:10:12 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2014, 02:22:48 AM by yomofo

As many of you may know, there have been unverified claims of MtGox losing 750,000 btc due to the malleability issue.  This has been brought forth by a reputable writer for Coindesk.  (he has verified the document with sources close to mtgox)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/209050732/MtGox-Situation-Crisis-Strategy-Draft

http://two-bit-idiot.tumblr.com/post/77745633839/bitcoins-apocalyptic-moment-mt-gox-may-have-lost

http://two-bit-idiot.tumblr.com/post/77760399932/update-on-mt-gox-this-document-appears-to-be

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:13:55 AM

I can't imagine that to be an accurate figure...

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
meanig

Activity: 531
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:15:58 AM

So fake  Cheesy
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 02:20:36 AM

Parts of this seem very plausible and unlikely to be made up but parts of it sound extremely implausible and almost certainly made up. That leaves the possibility that it's a real document that's been altered to make a different point than the actual document does. But it's hard to imagine who would have access to the real document and an incentive to do that. So, basically, I wouldn't draw any conclusions from this.

Maybe someone wants to push the price of Bitcoin down and buy on the dip and went to a lot of trouble to construct the parts that appear plausible to try to get people to buy the parts that seem implausible?

(Oddly, if people were rational, this should cause the price of Bitcoins to go up.)

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:20:45 AM

the cold storage has been wiped out due to a leak in the hot wallet

I like this scenario,  it fits their level of intelligence  Grin Grin
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:22:12 AM

The fudster must just love the coincidence with Gox trading shutdown..
FNG

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:27:35 AM

Document was probably made by the guy purchasing 650 coins at .21 on bitcoinbuilder lol
btc4ever

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:28:19 AM

People have made a lot of fun of this quote, and I agree it is a bit retarded.  However, I can sort of see it making sense in the scenario that gox has been continually defrauded ( via malleability issue or whatever ) and has for a long time now been moving coins from cold storage (savings) into active use to cover the losses.

Whether that actually happened or not, I have no idea. But just saying that the quote itself can make some sense in this context.

the cold storage has been wiped out due to a leak in the hot wallet

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 02:29:06 AM

Way too many whole numbers to be legit.
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 02:31:59 AM

Such a hoax.

No company is dumb enough to put stuff like this in writing, even when it's true.

"Cold storage has been wiped out due to a leak in the hot wallet" is incoherent yammering.

All the data are in the blockchain.  If an attack like this really had been going on for years as the document alleges, it would be possible to verify this (and I'm sure somebody would have).  Mutated transactions can be detected after-the-fact and with high (but not 100%) probability, so a long-running theft on this scale would leave undeniable evidence that it had occurred.  Just like the android random-number-generator vulnerability, people would have called attention to the attack's trail of evidence in the blockchain.

PS, to put bitcoin "back ~5-10 years" would be before cryptocurrencies existed.  Come on.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
notig

Activity: 294

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:34:19 AM

serious question...... I have an armory wallet. I have a "watching only " wallet that watches my offline wallet. My offline wallet is composed of many keys.  So is it really that difficult for an exchange who have funds in cold storage to have some kind of live ticker that shows their cold storage balance? Wouldn't it be incredibly easy to watch your balance of your cold storage even though it may be spread across many keys or even broken into several part keys (The public key isn't broken right? )
yomofo (OP)

Activity: 157

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:35:26 AM

http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/1yuox1/copy_of_the_alleged/cfny2g0

Manticore

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:49:16 AM

No company is dumb enough to put stuff like this in writing, even when it's true.

The number of coins seems high, but I wouldn't completely rule this document out just yet. It could certainly have been written by a private equity group with plans for damage control (or similar type of entity) and turnaround. It sounds like a third party assessment; very plausible. I agree with the person above who said that parts seem very authentic while other parts seem a little fake. Perhaps it's an early draft of a preliminary assessment.

This type of review is exactly what would happen in this kind of situation (assuming things have gone completely south as outlined in the draft).
segeln

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:54:04 AM

serious question...... I have an armory wallet. I have a "watching only " wallet that watches my offline wallet. My offline wallet is composed of many keys.  So is it really that difficult for an exchange who have funds in cold storage to have some kind of live ticker that shows their cold storage balance? Wouldn't it be incredibly easy to watch your balance of your cold storage even though it may be spread across many keys or even broken into several part keys (The public key isn't broken right? )
How do you see the balance in a "watching only"wallet ?I don`t.
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:09:14 AM

The number of coins seems high, but I wouldn't completely rule this document out just yet. It could certainly have been written by a private equity group with plans for damage control (or similar type of entity) and turnaround. It sounds like a third party assessment; very plausible. I agree with the person above who said that parts seem very authentic while other parts seem a little fake. Perhaps it's an early draft of a preliminary assessment.

This type of review is exactly what would happen in this kind of situation (assuming things have gone completely south as outlined in the draft).

yes it was leaked..  not intended to be sent out....  but since it was, seems they had to start the ball rolling and stop trading now  (should of stopped as soon as they blocked withdrawals)

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
pembo210

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:20:42 AM

(Oddly, if people were rational, this should cause...)

You must be new here.. Welcome to Earth   Grin
cosmofly

Activity: 532

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:40:59 AM

Very disturbing document, freaky as fuck. Be careful before reading if u cant stomach this

Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:53:37 AM

hard to imagine the doc is real

but if assuming it is, do companies on a scale of mtgox do not balance books quarterly or at the very least annually in japan?
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:54:19 AM

hard to imagine the doc is real

but if assuming it is, do companies on a scale of mtgox do not balance books quarterly or at the very least annually in japan?

Or.. ever? LOL!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 05:54:51 AM

Very disturbing document, freaky as fuck. Be careful before reading if u cant stomach this

I was suppose to stomach it? Hell, I jacked off all over it. Now, somebody push my face into it and make me swallow.

BTW, I've been holding back something on BitcoinBuilder, something of which is important, and I'm not a very happy camper about it. Not happy at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: