Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:36:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase CONFIRMS MTGOX INSOLVENCY (edit coinbase removed "insolvency" from titl  (Read 6475 times)
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:01:32 AM

it's over, the fat lady's done singing.

Where did you hear Mark sing?

Buy & Hold
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:04:39 AM

Putting the blame on Bitcoin and TX malleability for their insolvency was pretty lame.

The self-proclaimed "world's largest bitcoin exchange" is basically saying it was too hard to take a collection of their own addresses, count the amount of BTC contained in all unspent outputs sent to these addresses, and compare it with the expected balance.

Did they have any accounting checks in the first place? I'm starting to doubt it, as their incompetence is notoriously off limits.

Even I have a local copy of the blockchain in a (big) SQL database. SELECT SUM(...) FROM ... JOIN ... ON ... WHERE ... Roll Eyes
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:09:13 AM

Anyone wanna buy my id and be a part of history? Cheesy

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
traderCJ

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:11:13 AM

The self-proclaimed "world's largest bitcoin exchange" is basically saying it is to hard to take a collection of their own addresses, count the amount of BTC constituted by all unspent outputs in that wallet, and compare it with the expected balance.

The question is - how many other exchanges have been robbed blind and aren't aware of it?  This exchange has lost 750,000 BTC.  My God, you'd think that would be like trying to drive a dumptruck full of nitroglycerin through an obstacle course.  Yet somehow, this was pulled off.  Gox 'n' company might be unusually idiotic, but don't bet on it.  Perhaps there is more to this story than meets the eye.  What if TX malleability wasn't really to blame?  Another vulnerability perhaps?  Are other exchanges being milked dry before our very eyes?  Who knows.
wantmyrefund

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:41:39 AM

The self-proclaimed "world's largest bitcoin exchange" is basically saying it is to hard to take a collection of their own addresses, count the amount of BTC constituted by all unspent outputs in that wallet, and compare it with the expected balance.

The question is - how many other exchanges have been robbed blind and aren't aware of it?  This exchange has lost 750,000 BTC.  My God, you'd think that would be like trying to drive a dumptruck full of nitroglycerin through an obstacle course.  Yet somehow, this was pulled off.  Gox 'n' company might be unusually idiotic, but don't bet on it.  Perhaps there is more to this story than meets the eye.  What if TX malleability wasn't really to blame?  Another vulnerability perhaps?  Are other exchanges being milked dry before our very eyes?  Who knows.

With bitcoin an exchange can run and independent check with every new block every 10 minutes to verify that their total balance equal what they think they should have, and issue warnings and stop outbound transfers if there is the slightest mismatch.

If I ran a Bitcoin exchange, I would create several independent automated audit functions like this.

Mark is either the dumbest person alive, or a thief who just stole your money.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:02:01 AM

The question is - how many other exchanges have been robbed blind and aren't aware of it?  This exchange has lost 750,000 BTC.  My God, you'd think that would be like trying to drive a dumptruck full of nitroglycerin through an obstacle course.  Yet somehow, this was pulled off.  Gox 'n' company might be unusually idiotic, but don't bet on it.  Perhaps there is more to this story than meets the eye.  What if TX malleability wasn't really to blame?  Another vulnerability perhaps?  Are other exchanges being milked dry before our very eyes?  Who knows.

Just checked (well that is a lie it is an automatic check every midnight) and BitSimple has every single satoshi it is expected to have.  Of course that doesn't really matter to anyone except the company and investors because BitSimple never holds any user bitcoins.  We believe they are safest IN YOUR WALLET.   So we will buy them with no confirmations right from any wallet you might be using.  If you want to buy bitcoins we will send them directly to your wallet.   If BitSimple was robbed blind tomorrow the only one who would lose anything is investors.  Then again they are the ones who profit so that is only fair right?
hostmaster

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 06:02:38 AM

Finally...

It was so obvious.
good
traderCJ

Activity: 280

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:17:40 AM

The question is - how many other exchanges have been robbed blind and aren't aware of it?  This exchange has lost 750,000 BTC.  My God, you'd think that would be like trying to drive a dumptruck full of nitroglycerin through an obstacle course.  Yet somehow, this was pulled off.  Gox 'n' company might be unusually idiotic, but don't bet on it.  Perhaps there is more to this story than meets the eye.  What if TX malleability wasn't really to blame?  Another vulnerability perhaps?  Are other exchanges being milked dry before our very eyes?  Who knows.

Just checked (well that is a lie it is an automatic check every midnight) and BitSimple has every single satoshi it is expected to have.  Of course that doesn't really matter to anyone except the company and investors because BitSimple never holds any user bitcoins.  We believe they are safest IN YOUR WALLET.   So we will buy them with no confirmations right from any wallet you might be using.  If you want to buy bitcoins we will send them directly to your wallet.   If BitSimple was robbed blind tomorrow the only one who would lose anything is investors.  Then again they are the ones who profit so that is only fair right?

Good to know.  I like your site, I may start using it.
thelema93

Activity: 339

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:32:32 AM

'Considering the avalanche of supporting evidence, I think it's likely true.'

WHAT GODDAM EVIDENCE?Huh!!!!

pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:36:02 AM

'Considering the avalanche of supporting evidence, I think it's likely true.'

WHAT GODDAM EVIDENCE?Huh!!!!

- Deleted entire twitter feed
- No announcement and halted trading
- Removed website
- Huge financial losses from the past.

What would it take to make you happy? Do they need to set themselves on fire in a busy intersection?

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Manticore

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:51:51 AM

- Deleted entire twitter feed
- No announcement and halted trading
- Removed website
- Huge financial losses from the past.

What would it take to make you happy? Do they need to set themselves on fire in a busy intersection?

Yes, a ridiculous amount of circumstantial evidence. All of the above plus

- the move to a virtual office
- Board resignation
- fact that every other exchange has confirmed the insolvency
- leaked third-party consulting and turnaround assessment

And can you imagine any company that would not counter all of the above with a press release stating the opposite if that was the case? I don't think there is additional debate needed on 'if' but on 'how' and 'how much'.
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:52:34 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2014, 07:09:05 AM by zby

Isn't it ironic when they write about credibility and use 'insolvency' in the title and later remove it?
akujin

Activity: 336

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 08:18:59 AM

If  anyone wants to commit suicide by now... you could find my address below..
I'll accept your remaining coins... hahaha Cheesy

BTC: 165rKPfGJ3ndrG1QziHR6ACnViP4EQHNK7
LTC: LMysGMFjmF9gR9RzStij74msXrDP1NqW8X
DOGE: DRZXGgcKN8kANwko3VycsBVVGqfy6XsSpM
porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 08:49:38 AM

This exchange lost 750 000btc Huh How can you know?

Gox is still trading and went not below 100$.

Edit: Like I see now gox trading is halted since 2am. ok...

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
WompRat

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 08:54:23 AM

Isn't it ironic when they write about credibility and use 'insolvency' in the title and later remove it?

It has not been confirmed and they wouldn't want to prejudice anything on the small chance that someone may buy them out.
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 08:56:20 AM

LET'S EAT !!

T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 08:59:59 AM

Sorry to say but Gox is not trading - it is completely out.

That said the recent document purporting to be a "crisis plan", which tells of the 750,000 BTC loss, is very clearly fake (which doesn't leave us any the wiser unfortunately).

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:34:40 AM

Sorry to say but Gox is not trading - it is completely out.

That said the recent document purporting to be a "crisis plan", which tells of the 750,000 BTC loss, is very clearly fake (which doesn't leave us any the wiser unfortunately).

it is "ponzi' in the sense that due to NO oversight of exchanges GOX like the big banks who we're unregulated...'dipped into the customer $$$" or borrowed money towards
so called future gains....that 6% gox says was lost to theft very likely was gox using that 6% at least at the beginning of its start as an exchange....and now they don't have enough bitcoins to refund and no way could they refund in $$$....thus Gox saying it was 'theft" (most likely insider from them)

But imho the reason they pulled the plug now rather then drag this out further (which imho they could have) they got confirmation according to some articles I read that the Japanese do not consider bitcoin legit $$$ thus there will be no investigation (go ahead google search it) .ie they don't want to get into this the japanase regulators

so ...with no enforcement on the horizon ...ie no theft....Gox folds up the tent and walks ..with probably all the coin

imho he will give SOME percentage back or never be able to walk in public again ....but he will take out what is needed to pay his debts...pad his nest and partial out some of the rest...and walk away ahead

well played gox ..well played

if no way to go to jail because the regulators won't pursue you it is a clean get away!

my 2c worth

Searing (again speculation on my part..but from what I see he could probably take it all w/o any consequences at this point)

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 04:00:20 AM

If  anyone wants to commit suicide by now... you could find my address below..

The next day, Autumn Radtke committed suicide(?), of which afterward Steve Beauregard called Autumn's sister in Wisconsin and asked her if there was a will because he was concerned(?) about 10,000 GoCoins.

It was first reported that Autumn was found in her apartment cum office, but later changed to her trying to fly off a 25-story building two blocks away, probably influenced by the CEO of First Meta that used to work for the Singapore Police Department.
akujin

Activity: 336

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:46:59 AM

If  anyone wants to commit suicide by now... you could find my address below..

The next day, Autumn Radtke committed suicide(?), of which afterward Steve Beauregard called Autumn's sister in Wisconsin and asked her if there was a will because he was concerned(?) about 10,000 GoCoins.

It was first reported that Autumn was found in her apartment cum office, but later changed to her trying to fly off a 25-story building two blocks away, probably influenced by the CEO of First Meta that used to work for the Singapore Police Department.

"Autumn’s death comes on the heels of the collapse of the Tokyo-based bitcoin exchange Mt Gox last week, after $400m went missing, as well as the March 4 closure of the Flexcoin bank in Canada after hackers stole $600,000, according to the UK’s Daily Mail."

Damn you karpeles! Now I know why I didn't receive any bitcoins  Grin Grin Grin

BTC: 165rKPfGJ3ndrG1QziHR6ACnViP4EQHNK7
LTC: LMysGMFjmF9gR9RzStij74msXrDP1NqW8X
DOGE: DRZXGgcKN8kANwko3VycsBVVGqfy6XsSpM
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: