Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 12:50:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Now that Gox is dead, shouldn't we have a rally?  (Read 2915 times)
gog1 (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:37:05 AM

One of the reason the other exchange's prices are depressed was the belief that Gox will resume withdraw, which caused cheap coins being picked up at gox to be dumped elsewhere.  Now that Gox seems to have lost everything, shouldn't we have a massive rally now that this 'phantom' dump will no longer take place.
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:43:09 AM

within a day we will; it's going to crash a bit but then it's back to normal possibly even a rally.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:49:03 AM

many people viewing this fiasco as a blackeye on bitcoins reputation.  many investors being scared off.
damnek

Activity: 614

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:49:28 AM

One of the reason the other exchange's prices are depressed was the belief that Gox will resume withdraw, which caused cheap coins being picked up at gox to be dumped elsewhere.  Now that Gox seems to have lost everything, shouldn't we have a massive rally now that this 'phantom' dump will no longer take place.

That is also what I'm expecting. It will take a little while for the irrational selling to cool off, and then the whole situation with mtgox should be priced in, and we can start the recovery.
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 03:50:45 AM

One of the reason the other exchange's prices are depressed was the belief that Gox will resume withdraw, which caused cheap coins being picked up at gox to be dumped elsewhere.  Now that Gox seems to have lost everything, shouldn't we have a massive rally now that this 'phantom' dump will no longer take place.
This also means:

1) There are fewer coins than people thought there were, thus supply is reduced. All the coins believed held at Mt Gox probably didn't exist and were already in circulation.

2) People have fewer coins than they wanted to have, thus demand is increased. Everyone who thought they had coins at Mt Gox now knows they probably don't.

Both these factors should put upward pressure on the price. The downward movement is irrational. (Unless Gox is dumping Bitcoins on Bitstamp.)

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
BreathOfZen

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:51:40 AM

No? It turns out that one of the most entrenched and well known Bitcoin vendors was a large fraud, casting the doubt of "ponzi" on all of Bitcoin as a whole. Most people didn't know that MtGox was a problem, and now they will hear in the media that "bitcoin==fraud".  Why would it go up?

Aoeui Artifacts
DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:58:58 AM

This also means:

1) There are fewer coins than people thought there were, thus supply is reduced. All the coins believed held at Mt Gox probably didn't exist and were already in circulation.

2) People have fewer coins than they wanted to have, thus demand is increased. Everyone who thought they had coins at Mt Gox now knows they probably don't.

Both these factors should put upward pressure on the price. The downward movement is irrational.

If bitcoin were not already worth 6 billion dollars, maybe I would be more aligned with your sentiment. Billions are hard to come by even today.

We also do not know the extent of the fraud, incompetence, et cetera... and the vulnerability of the current market. Only time will tell...

I think we will see a capitulation ahead as we still have lots of mining going on and people will continue to convert to fiat to pay their bills. could see $100 coins IMHO.... Bitcoin is vulnerable right now, keeping my eye on all possibilities.

Better hope another bitcoin technology vulnerability is not exposed in the next few weeks.....

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:00:38 AM

No? It turns out that one of the most entrenched and well known Bitcoin vendors was a large fraud, casting the doubt of "ponzi" on all of Bitcoin as a whole. Most people didn't know that MtGox was a problem, and now they will hear in the media that "bitcoin==fraud".  Why would it go up?
The 'most people' who will think this aren't the people who buy and sell bitcoins.

Bitcoin_is_here_to_stay

Activity: 336

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:02:26 AM

Both these factors should put upward pressure on the price. The downward movement is irrational. (Unless Gox is dumping Bitcoins on Bitstamp.)

LOL, you really think that people who "thought they had coins on Mt Gox" would now run to give away more of their $$$$ to another completely unregulated exchange?

I beg to differ. What is worst, the ppl who planned to invest in bit coin may now have second thoughts
nmersulypnem

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:02:35 AM

An important thing to understand is that a lot of the people who *would* usually rally, have just lost all their money on the Gox platform.
orpington

Activity: 784
Merit: 512

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:03:34 AM

Totally rally time!

Pop the cork!

Finally that mess is gone.
redhawk979

Activity: 271
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:04:00 AM

If Gox was a fly-by-night exchange that folded, I don't think the price would have fluctuated much.

However as others have said, because Gox was very public and well known and it was often the exchange cited in the press (even if that was a poor choice). I wouldn't be surprised to see the story crop up on one of the larger news outlets like WSJ. I would expect the price to continue dropping for another few days until some positive news flows in.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:07:17 AM

For a long time MtGox was the go-to exchange for the media when reporting bitcoin's price.  In the short to medium term MtGox's disappearance will hurt.  A lot.  It affects the entire credibility of bitcoin as a viable means to do business.  What business wants to conduct their transactions in a commodity that can fluctuate violently in value and have the previously major exchange disappear?  Critics of bitcoin can point to MtGox as evidence that the whole thing is a money making scam and far too unstable to be useful.

The key thing to watch is how MtGox will be wound up over the coming months and years.  Will account holders receive their bitcoins and money back?  
Edward50

Activity: 602

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:07:20 AM

I always wondered how any big hedge fund etc. would invest into bitcoins without easily risking losing all of their bitcoins. I mean all it would take is someone internal to transfer out/steal the bitcoins.

I guess my concern had validity.

Anyway looks like I'm out $670 dollars that I had left on Mt Gox. Oh well..

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
Edward50

Activity: 602

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:10:04 AM

For a long time MtGox was the go-to exchange for the media when reporting bitcoin's price.  In the short to medium term MtGox's disappearance will hurt.  A lot.  It affects the entire credibility of bitcoin as a viable means to do business.  What business wants to conduct their transactions in a commodity that can fluctuate violently in value and have the previously major exchange disappear?  Critics of bitcoin can point to MtGox as evidence that the whole thing is a money making scam and far too unstable to be useful.

The key thing to watch is how MtGox will be wound up over the coming months and years.  Will account holders receive their bitcoins and money back?  

Hey Cluster2k,  Funny how the bitcoin bulls will spin really bad news into good news. Most are still obvious in the delusional stage.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.
lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:16:19 AM

Account holders won't see their money back. However, mt gox being at $100/coin has spread really bad news about bitcoin, let alone their insolvency. Getting rid of gox all together will at first hurt the price of BTC, but then it will be able to resume growth. I have friends that are completely bitcoin "noobs" and btc being low on mt gox has scared everyone away from it. get rid of mt gox, btc can grow again.

Disclosure: Long term I've very bullish on bitcoin...

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:19:39 AM

One of the reason the other exchange's prices are depressed was the belief that Gox will resume withdraw, which caused cheap coins being picked up at gox to be dumped elsewhere.  Now that Gox seems to have lost everything, shouldn't we have a massive rally now that this 'phantom' dump will no longer take place.
This also means:

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Likely this is a temporary downward pressure and as those who panic sell off (whether or not GOX) will eventually not have any more coins to sell.

Cheap coins!

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:21:05 AM

This also means:

Both these factors should put upward pressure on the price. The downward movement is irrational.

If bitcoin were not already worth 6 billion dollars, maybe I would be more aligned with your sentiment. Billions are hard to come by even today.

We also do not know the extent of the fraud, incompetence, et cetera... and the vulnerability of the current market. Only time will tell...

I think we will see a capitulation ahead as we still have lots of mining going on and people will continue to convert to fiat to pay their bills. could see $100 coins IMHO.... Bitcoin is vulnerable right now, keeping my eye on all possibilities.

Better hope another bitcoin technology vulnerability is not exposed in the next few weeks.....

The fed is printing between $60 and $80 billion of new notes a month. So no shortage there. Lots of trees to turn into FRN's.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

undeadbitcoiner

Activity: 896
Merit: 272

Undeadbitcoiner Will not DIE until 1BTC=50K

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 04:21:47 AM

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Abraham Lincoln

But untill how long?
By By Gox

chesthing
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:23:06 AM

This also means:

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Likely this is a temporary downward pressure and as those who panic sell off (whether or not GOX) will eventually not have any more coins to sell.

Cheap coins!
So you buying right now or waiting for a lower price?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: