Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:27:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Phase 1, Complete. Onward with Phase-2  (Read 1359 times)
Melbustus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:01:10 AM

http://blog.coinbase.com/post/77766809700/joint-statement-regarding-mtgox
http://www.circle.com/2014/02/24/joint-statement-regarding-insolvency-mt-gox/
http://blog.blockchain.info/2014/02/25/joint-statement/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Kraken/comments/1yux6n/joint_statement_regarding_mt_gox/

Whatever happens in the short-term dealing with this mess, I'm happy this phase is concluding. Gox was a holdover from early bitcoin, where clearly incompetent people/operations handled massive amounts of customer funds, and we've been needing to get sharply over that phase for a while now. This does so rather dramatically. I look forward to bitcoin moving into the next phase of adoption driven by far more professional entities.

As a step in the right direction, people have been talking more and more about proof-of-reserves for bitcoin financial entities. I think that's a great way to go; we, as customers, should all be demanding that companies use bitcoin's unique features to push the envelope on transparency, bolstering the integrity of the bitcoin ecosystem directly, while also highlighting one of bitcoin's key strengths in contrast to the fiat financial system.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:04:42 AM

Absolutely.

Transparency is a must when "all sales are final." There's no insurance on our Bitcoin deposits. Transparency is essential...

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 04:12:11 AM

Looking forward to Phase-2.

Although Mt. Gox was there for Bitcoin's beginnings, in order to move onto the future, this had to be done.

I'm glad all the major players in this industry decided to stick together through Gox's impending death.  Their incompetence has been on display for a long while now, and now it's time to shutter it's doors.

Sad to see a part of history gone, but glad to see the sunshine through the dark clouds.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:23:27 AM

Whatever happens in the short-term dealing with this mess, I'm happy this phase is concluding. Gox was a holdover from early bitcoin, where clearly incompetent people/operations handled massive amounts of customer funds, and we've been needing to get sharply over that phase for a while now. This does so rather dramatically. I look forward to bitcoin moving into the next phase of adoption driven by far more professional entities.

Seconded.  This moment is one of the last great buying opportunities, the ecosystem has finally cast off a giant anchor that was weighing it down.  Short term pain, for long term gain.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:25:30 AM

+1.

No fractional reserve. Bitcoin community deserve the highest standard of transparency, because of bitcoin.

Bitcoin community should have zero tolerance on BTC withdrawal problem, it's a telltale sign of fractional reserve and insolvency, no matter what they say.

Morbid
Legendary

Activity: 1202
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:33:52 AM

well all these “incompetences” began as soon as fincen started to breathe down gox neck. gox could have been scrutinised by all sort of agencies over money laundering, silk road criminal ties as well as being a scapegoat for all the media and pleasing the central banks discrediting bitcoin technology even further. we need to watch out for when they start to bully exchanges such as crypty, bitstamp etc. i have feeling there are more show trials to come after this.
coinage

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:05:47 AM

Good, but please let's remember that the actual solution will be "Phase 3," which can't arrive too soon:  software & services using practical multisignature transactions, and also high-volume decentralized exchanges.

As long as we're in Phase 2 (competent, professional people/operations HANDLING massive amounts of customer funds) the true promise of cryptocurrencies is still unrealized, and massive losses/thefts/freezes can still occur.

"Phase 3" companies, however, can arise to provide rich capabilities for bitcoin storage & exchange, BUT would be unable to abscond with significant funds because users could choose to retain full control of their transactions. Bulletproof multisignature capabilities can make that possible.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:07:58 AM

Good, but please let's remember that the actual solution will be "Phase 3," which can't arrive too soon: high-volume Decentralized Exchanges and practical Multisignature Transactions.

As long as we're in Phase 2 (Competent professional people/operations HANDLING massive amounts of customer funds) the true promise of cryptocurrencies is still unrealized, and massive losses/thefts/freezes can still occur.

"Phase 3" companies, however, can arise to provide rich capabilities for bitcoin storage & exchange, BUT would be unable to abscond with significant funds because users could choose to retain full control of their transactions. Bulletproof multisignature capabilities can make that possible.

Or just do business with a company which never holds customer bitcoins and offers same day wires so any late payments become obviously rather quickly.
usabitcoinbuyer

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:17:03 AM

Good, but please let's remember that the actual solution will be "Phase 3," which can't arrive too soon:  software & services using practical multisignature transactions, and also high-volume decentralized exchanges.

Wait... I thought Phase 3 was Profit!  Smiley

I agree with the OP and the other sentiments here.  I had a few BTC in Gox to trade with.  I would have liked to scale up the trading size, but simply didn't trust them enough (and very glad in retrospect I didn't succumb to temptation).

Other players in the field may be more professional, but whether due to real growing pains or unwarranted FUD accusations, they all seem to have their issues.  At the end of the day, the only place I currently trust with my BTC is my own wallet(s), stored on machine(s) only I control and have access to.  Bitcoin has to progress beyond the need for that type of security policy, or it can't/won't realize its full potential.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: