Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:34:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What is/are the likely explanation of these figures?
This document is simply a hoax - 130 (35.6%)
This document is coming from gox, but the figures are fake. They have lost much less than 740,000 and have much more than 2,000 left - 69 (18.9%)
These figures are real. Mark is extremely incompetent. Possibly with serious mental illness - 64 (17.5%)
These figures are real. There are some criminal insider actions - 102 (27.9%)
Total Voters: 305

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you really believe gox has lost 740,000 BTC and has only 2,000 left?  (Read 8181 times)
bennybong

Activity: 682
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:28:31 AM

I don't understand why any hacker/scammer would attack gox to death like this. Their stash of stolen coins are all of a sudden worth a whole lot less! It's like when ghash.io was nearing 50% hash rate and everyone started worrying what they would do. Of course theyy would not attack their own primary source of income! Why would anyone that makes money from Bitcoin sabotage the network like that!?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:37:49 AM

I don't understand why any hacker/scammer would attack gox to death like this. Their stash of stolen coins are all of a sudden worth a whole lot less! It's like when ghash.io was nearing 50% hash rate and everyone started worrying what they would do. Of course theyy would not attack their own primary source of income! Why would anyone that makes money from Bitcoin sabotage the network like that!?

right question: coi bono ?

banks ?
governments Huh
alts ?
payment processors ?
goldbugs ?

T.Stuart

Activity: 644

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:39:18 AM

The document is utterly, without doubt, fake!

No clue about the real balances though.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:41:53 AM

These 'thieves' have probably silently been profiting from this MtGox exploit for years now, and I guess they wanted to keep it silent. No reason to think there are governments behind this, the incentives are all there for anyone to exploit this loophole once they find it and keep it silent as long as possible.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:51:48 AM

banks ?
governments Huh

If its governments or banks, great. If they made such a mistake, we'll be able to prove it. We'll put them in a pillory in a burning pit and nail Nietzsches eternal truth to their forehead:
Aber der Staat lügt in allen Zungen des Guten und Bösen; und was er auch redet, er lügt – und was er auch hat, gestohlen hat er's.
Falsch ist Alles an ihm; mit gestohlenen Zähnen beisst er, der Bissige. Falsch sind selbst seine Eingeweide.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
Chronikka

Activity: 658
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:52:40 AM

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"  -Albert Einstein
st4nl3y
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:58:42 AM

where did you get this picture? this guy looks like mark! i think it's really him! oh..ok no worries we are saved!
spiderbrain
Legendary

Activity: 889
Merit: 1013

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:23:38 AM

I find it very hard to believe that a group of people could fail to notice that they were bleeding that many coins from cold storage. That said, not my problem, got my coins out of gox months ago.

Salivan

Activity: 195
Merit: 102

DiMS dev team

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:36:05 AM

This is going to be one shitty week...

no, the shitty weeks are behind us... Smiley

Exactly, I actually feel a lot of relieve right now that MtGox is gone. I wish they could have fixed their shit instead but at least we have clarity now and the market can find a new equilibrium and move on.

Yeah but I feel bad for the people that lost their money....there are a lot of them you know.

After all the warning signs they got since June 2013, I feel they have had plenty of time to get out of there. So I really can't feel a whole lot of sympathy for them to be honest. But I don't think those still with funds stuck in Gox have lost it all, I've read and heard Gox got bought out and there are bigger parties involved now and they will insure that everyone will get back what they are owed.

I am one of those happy suckers
I will most probably lose about 25BTC
Why I didn't get out on time?
Well I used two exchanges one among those was gox. Although I knew that they have some  problems, it was hard to imagine that company  with longest experience in this business and operating on  millions can simply disappear over night. Every time I  was  withdrawing money from them  I had to wait so I was used to that as well. I was patient and forgiving.
To be specific I have made some  withdrawals in november,   first and second one arrived  at begin of  january , after that nothing.  I  started to loose my patience and  finally I ordered to cancel my cash transfers one  by one , than I started to buy  bitcoin and withdraw them. This I started few days before they stop process withdrawals. As the result  I get some of my bitcoins out, but  more then  half  stuck  there
porcupine87

Activity: 546

hm

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:41:08 AM

At this point 744,408 BTC are missing due to malleability-related theft which went unnoticed for several years.

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 10:45:10 AM

This sounds really ridiculous. 2000BTC could not even cover 10% of the ask wall on gox. How could Mark not realize it far before the cold wallet becomes 0?

Indeed, the document is a hoax.

The fact that mtgox is dead meat does, however, appear to be true.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:46:03 AM

When there is an official look into this, legal or journalistic, we are very apt here in this forum to correct anything overlooked by authorities or reporters.

A German university do mass tracings of transactions (for research purposes) and there are now forensic tools to backtrack BTC's.

We will get to the bottom of the "whom stole which coins" part!

Exactly my thought.

Just read an article, not even completely incompetently written in general, on Forbes that more or less believes the "740k coin leak through hot wallet" bullshit explanation, and I got really depressed for a second.

But we're not idiots. Those bullshit excuses didn't work for pirate40, nor sheep marketplace owners, nor anyone else. And with Mark, at least his identity is know -- there's no way he's simply going to get away and sip margaritas on his own private island while his company still has liabilities in the range of a few hundred million.

I fully expect that the current events will spawn the, so far, biggest lawsuit in Bitcoin history.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4482

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:08:21 AM

"The cold storage has been wiped out due to a leak in the hot wallet."

BULLSHIT ALERT

That made me wonder too.

How do paper wallets get wiped out unless their private keys are exposed to the internet?

I thought "cold storage" meant creating offline wallets.
Salivan

Activity: 195
Merit: 102

DiMS dev team

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:21:57 AM

BULLSHIT ALERT

That made me wonder too.

How do paper wallets get wiped out unless their private keys are exposed to the internet?

they experienced security issue recently, at least they claim so
bennybong

Activity: 682

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:59:21 AM

Just dropping this here:

Brendan Support, Feb 15 08:37:

Dear Valued Customer,

Sorry for the inconvenience that have may caused. Our technical team is working hard to fix this issue and it will be fixed as soon as possible. All your BTC's are very safe and secured. Once the issue is fixed you will be able to initiate the BTC withdrawal and there is no time measure at this moment, we will be able to provide a clear picture soon.

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience caused, and thank you for your kind support and considerations.

Best regards,

MtGox Team
https://www.mtgox.com
thelema93

Activity: 339
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:13:36 PM

FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE FAKE

jamesc760

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:51:54 PM

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity.

Mark Klueless and his cohorts mis-managed mtgox from the beginning. Their incompetence alone killed mtgox, nothing else. There is no malicious hacker(s) involved, it's just a convenient excuse. Just lame.
Mythul

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:01:05 PM

This is going to be one interesting week for sure.
WompRat

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:09:55 PM

BULLSHIT ALERT

That made me wonder too.

I am voting for real.  Some of it is a bit over the top, but if you found out that a company had 'lost' 750,000 coins you would be shocked too.  That bit about the cold storage would probably be clarified when final.  My interpretation is that due to the malleability leak,  Gox have been topping up the hot wallet with funds from cold storage and then losing them too.
T.Stuart

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:13:40 PM

Thinking about it carefully I actually do think that they have lost everything. I don't know how exactly - probably via malleability hacks - but think about this:

A few weeks ago Mark Karpeles came out all guns blazing against Bitcoin, saying that some funds might have been lost due to malleability.

But he had been warned about malleability a long time ago.

If your company, holding hundreds of thousands of Bitcoin, had lost a few thousand Bitcoin via a trick you had been warned of, would you come out publicly like MK did, knowing there would be an immediate backlash and you would be ridiculed for not having fixed the problem despite warnings? I wouldn't - I would try to get the issue fixed quietly and take the loss.

But if you realised that everything was gone, then what?

At this point you would have to think "exit strategy". And so, to make it a case of force majeur from the outset, you make a bold public claim blaming Bitcoin, regardless of the fact that you know you will face ridicule. In this way you are starting off with a clear position - a position you will not go back on: that it was not your fault and that this is written into your terms and conditions. This is an important claim as it is your defence strategy for all future lawsuits brought against you by customers who have lost their funds.

It now seems obvious why MK would make such a strong public statement, very out of character and actually bordering on angry and panicked, several weeks ago.

He already knew then that everything was gone.

My opinion only but...

Shit.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: