Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:36:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Understatement of the year  (Read 883 times)
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:54:26 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2014, 06:09:26 AM by DeathAndTaxes

Gox is the worst-run business in the history of the world,” said Roger Ver, in an instant message interview. Ver is a bitcoin advocate who lives across the street from Mt. Gox’s Tokyo offices and tried to help out the troubled exchange the last time it was hacked, back in 2011.
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2014/02/bitcoins-mt-gox-implodes/

Thanks for making me laugh.  I can visualize a frustrated Roger typing that out.  That is it folks, I am going to bed.

Gox is dead, long live Bitcoin!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:06:48 AM

I read a post on the forum a few days ago that made me laugh because it was spot on. Maybe I'll try to dig it up, but I'll paraphrase until then.

"If Gox was tasked with destroying Bitcoin, we would be sitting at $75,000 per bitcoin right now."

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
pmorici

Activity: 479
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:08:58 AM

“Gox is the worst-run business in the history of the world,” said Roger Ver, in an instant message interview. Ver is a bitcoin advocate who lives across the street from Mt. Gox’s Tokyo offices and tried to help out the troubled exchange the last time it was hacked, back in 2011.
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2014/02/bitcoins-mt-gox-implodes/

Thanks for making me laugh.  I can visualize a frustrated Roger typing that out.  That is it folks, I am going to bed.

Gox is dead, long live Bitcoin!

Well, that explains the update to the description of this YouTube Video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP1YsMlrfF0
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:13:39 AM

The amount of incompetence it takes to lose three quarters of a million bitcoins over a multi year period is truly mind blowing.

He'd have to do something like "Why is my hot wallet empty? It shouldn't be empty. I'll just refill it from the cold wallet and figure it out later" for two years.

If that crisis response document floating around is anywhere near accurate we should be be in awe of Mark Karpeles right now. This is Olympic gold metal level incompetence - you don't see that kind of thing every day and he deserves full credit for the magnitude of his achievement.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: