Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:48:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC security rule Nr.1, keep the coins only on own environment  (Read 1613 times)
Corelianer (OP)

Activity: 309
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:02:48 AM

After the "News" from Gox, I don't know how many times we where reading about stolen Bitcoins.
I think it was dozends of times. And the people don't learn nothing. They still keep most of their Coins on the Exchanges to make a quick buck and then get robbed entirely because they forgott about security rule Nr. 1.

Keep the Bitcoins on your own Environment. Cold storage that can easily be managed by Armory for example. Download Armory only from trusted sources, use checksum tools to make sure the software was not compromized. Do that once and you don't have to do it ever again.

Everthing else than the highes security standard is worthless if criminal minds play.

You will likely loose everything. There are plenty of examples.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
InCoinsITrust

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:04:17 AM

Totaly agree to this
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:08:52 AM

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
TheFootMan

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:37:39 AM

You're much right in this!
h3rlihy

Activity: 356
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:38:41 AM

And never just leave your coins sitting on an exchange (don't see why people do this, withdraw to your damn wallets fools!)
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 07:39:21 AM

You also must ensure that you ARE the sole controller of your private keys.
waldox

Activity: 252

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 11:12:59 AM

you must control your own coins with your own private keys
dont put any coins you cant afford to lose on exchanges
this lesson will strike again, it happens every couple of weeks

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
byt411

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:45:29 PM

you must control your own coins with your own private keys
dont put any coins you cant afford to lose on exchanges
this lesson will strike again, it happens every couple of weeks

Not just exchanges, it also includes online wallets.
byt411

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 04:57:01 PM

Yes, that is kind of baked into my statement. You are just saying it a different way. Wink

Problem is that, some people think that by creating an online wallet and exporting the private key that means he is safe...
Especially if he posts it on facebook to remind himself or something like that...
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:10:21 PM

It has been a while since I last had coins stored anywhere. I use brainwallets instead.
The issue about brain/paper wallets is that you can't take a portion and keep the rest, either you sweep them or import the key to a BTC client. For deal with this and not have to sweep a whole load of BTC at once, my method is as follow:

PassPhrase_Part_1#sequencial number#PassPhrase_Part_2
what renders sort of:

MyPassPhrase_Part1#1#SecondPart_PassPhrase
MyPassPhrase_Part1#2#SecondPart_PassPhrase
MyPassPhrase_Part1#3#SecondPart_PassPhrase

By loading small amounts to each of the # I'm then allowed to store the coins at brainwallets in sort of an usable way.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
cozk

Activity: 812

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:29:06 PM

+1

Can't even figure why someone would keep 250 BTC on Mtgox....

They half deserve this.
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:31:07 PM

No private keys no bitcoins! Simple
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:32:00 PM

+1

They half deserve this.

I wouldn't say they 'deserve' this but it was a stupid decision
btbrae

Activity: 680

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:37:49 PM

+1

They half deserve this.

I sold BTC and kept $$$ on MtGox in order to buy because I thought BTC were due a correction. I bought BTC as the value fell (although a bit further than I was anticipating!) I actually tried to pull out a few weeks ago but found they had locked my withdrawals because of the BitInstant thing until I sent further docs.

I knew the risk way in advance and 100% deserve this. There are other groups of people that don't, including businesses, charities, newcomers, people who thought that the Bitcoin Foundation were trustworthy for example.
byt411

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:03:28 PM

Yes, that is kind of baked into my statement. You are just saying it a different way. Wink

Problem is that, some people think that by creating an online wallet and exporting the private key that means he is safe...
Especially if he posts it on facebook to remind himself or something like that...

"Sole" controller of your private keys!

Yes, but some people think that if they export it and download it, they are the sole owner of them.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:13:58 PM

I totally agree.

You should never store your coins on exchanges or e-wallets.

Send them to me  Grin

I will keep them safe for you  Grin

MakeBelieve

Activity: 602

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:20:14 PM

I have been looking into differnt security measures and now have decided to stay away from sites like blockchain because its only a matter of time before it gets hacked etc.

Put your coins on your offline computer people.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
Stevets

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:30:30 PM

I think what people need to consider is that Bitcoins are cash. Would you leave cash with the operator of some website in Japan?
Musent

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 06:46:04 PM

Keep copies of keys safely and in places only you know about.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 07:27:00 PM

very true but: most users (or alot) wont do that. they will keep their coins online.

and maybe someday when btc is more professional and we have services, that insure the funds of the customers, it will be okay to store coins online, maybe.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: