Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:57:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How many btc/fiat has Gox left(insolvency)?  (Read 639 times)
porcupine87 (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:05:37 AM

Another thread  Grin

Now that gox is insolvent there is the question, how many btc or fiat are left they owe to people are. I read about 750 000btc they lost.

Has someone estimates about how much they have left and how much they owe to people?

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
harkonnen

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:07:52 AM

Another thread  Grin

Now that gox is insolvent there is the question, how many btc or fiat are left they owe to people are. I read about 750 000btc they lost.

Has someone estimates about how much they have left and how much they owe to people?

http://goxbalance.com/
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:10:40 AM

Although I was initially skeptical, today's events and the joint statement have me convinced that MtGox is indeed insolvent.  

However, is it actually possible for that 750,000 BTC figure to be true?  You cannot lose that much to a software and accounting problem "without noticing for two years!"  I see three possibilities:

1.  The private keys to the cold storage addresses were accidentally destroyed, lost or seized.  
2.  The coins were stolen by insiders using "malleability" as an excuse.
3.  The 750,000 BTC figure is wrong, and the number of missing coins is much less.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:16:17 AM

Although I was initially skeptical, today's events and the joint statement have me convinced that MtGox is indeed insolvent.  

However, is it actually possible for that 750,000 BTC figure to be true?  You cannot lose that much to a software and accounting problem "without noticing for two years!"  I see three possibilities:

1.  The private keys to the cold storage addresses were accidentally destroyed, lost or seized.  
2.  The coins were stolen by insiders using "malleability" as an excuse.
3.  The 750,000 BTC figure is wrong, and the number of missing coins is much less.  

This figure comes from a "crisis document" which is so badly written even Gox couldn't have made it! (clearly fake)

This fact doesn't clarify the real situation unfortunately.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: