Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 02:44:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: IS everyone insane?  (Read 3737 times)
brokenchair (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:43:38 AM

What is being done legally about Gox?  Something has to be done, otherwise all exchanges are just going to do the same thing again and again.
No major company is going to do small private transactions, not to mention most people.

Furthermore MT gox proved bitcoin is a ponzi scheme.  They manipulated the price super high, didn't pay people, and then disappeared.
While you morons are rejoicing, bitcoin has become the ponzi scheme everyone assumes it is.   

But, lets all cheer as Mt Gox pulled off an enormous ponzi scheme and got away without any consequences.
I have 0 coins in Gox, but you people are idiotic if you think this is any way good news.  I hate to break it to you, but those inside of Gox didn't lose money, your fellow bitcoin users did.   

El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:45:05 AM

Just because 1 exchange ran a ponzi , doesn't make bitcoin itself a ponzi.

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
rat

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:46:11 AM

oh.

everyone wants regulation now -

WHEN THEY LOSE THEIR ASSES!
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:49:10 AM

oh.

LOL,had they researched BEFORE they dropped money/BTC into Gox,maybe Gox would've been gone already!!!

I feel NO sympathy for anyone who kept dealing with GOX,they were inept to the extreme........ Angry

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
bomb7

Activity: 62
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:55:27 AM

LOL,had they researched BEFORE they dropped money/BTC into Gox,maybe Gox would've been gone already!!!

I feel NO sympathy for anyone who kept dealing with GOX,they were inept to the extreme........ Angry

This is fine in Libertarian utopia land, but realize that Bitcoin will never in a million years be widely adopted by the public if everybody needs to do an in-depth investigation of a financial service before buying some BTC. If we all just want to hoard our Bitcoins amongst ourselves and imagine we`re rich then cool, let`s keep it real. When people get screwed it`s their fault.

Just know there`s that trade-off and Bitcoin will always be fringe.
grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:55:34 AM

The joint statement by the other exchanges I feel shows that they do realise that this could be a pivotal moment for public trust in bitcoin, and that they will take steps to provide transparency.

In my opinion this is a good thing that was a long time coming.

It is a shame that so many people had to get screwed over before the need for transparency and verification of deposits sank in, but that's human nature for you.

I think we will see some exciting progress on distributed exchanges and verification of funds now.

Legal measures are between MtGox and the people they ripped off, not the bitcoin community at large. I believe that the price of bitcoin will recover fairly quickly once the MtGox failtrain finally comes off its rails.
studio1one

Activity: 1218

BintexFutures

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:56:28 AM

This is fine in Libertarian utopia land, but realize that Bitcoin will never in a million years be widely adopted by the public if everybody needs to do an in-depth investigation of a financial service before buying some BTC. If we all just want to hoard our Bitcoins amongst ourselves and imagine we`re rich then cool, let`s keep it real. When people get screwed it`s their fault.

In the long term though no one will be uses currency exchanges to buy and sell BTC, it will just be traders and miners.

BINTEX

Powered by,
Sage

Activity: 632

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:59:21 AM

The problems is 3rd party trust.

A decentralized exchange in the style that Bitshares is planning will solve this.

No more Gox.  No more need to trust anyone.
grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:59:30 AM

In the long term though no one will be uses currency exchanges to buy and sell BTC, it will just be traders and miners.
The fact that people still used MtGox for the years they showed serious problems and then the weeks they had largely or completely halted withdrawals shows that human greed can overwhelm almost any amount of caution.

People will be quick to forget; hopefully not so quick that real advances won't be made that benefit us all.
d(o_o)b

Activity: 35

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:06:01 AM

Do you get the impression that there is a gigantic network of shills calling for regulation?

Are they going so far as to manipulate key persons - like Karpelles - to make the headlines steer the people into calling for government assistance?

Do you think this is what the CFR came up with after their bitcoin meetings? I mean hell they could have used the recent banker suicides as proof they were serious.

The timing couldn't be more obvious - and this is exactly their business model.

This seems like a black op to me. I bet the cia is all over the new gox.

Puts a whole new meaning on Goxxed doesn't it?
waldox

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 11:06:29 AM

mark karpeles of mtgox was probally fleecing everyone ever since they started limiting withdrawls last year

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
brokenchair (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:07:26 AM

Unfortunately the majority of people on this forum are like those guys who go "It's her fault she got raped she wore tight pants!"
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:08:11 AM

Its NOT about buying BTC,it's about COMMON sense!!!!!!!!!!!

So,you'll just drop money in any ole bank/exchange/hole in the ground Huh  You NEVER EVER leave coin or cash in an exchange for ANY length of time !!!!!!! Do a trade,move it,never leave it........

The writing was "on the wall" since late 2011 when Gox was hacked & crashed BTC the first time,it's happened several times since.

How many times must people hit their thumb with a hammer to learn not to do that!!  Roll Eyes

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
bomb7

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:10:08 AM

The problems is 3rd party trust.

A decentralized exchange in the style that Bitshares is planning will solve this.

No more Gox.  No more need to trust anyone.

There will still be the need for conversion from fiat to cryptocurrency and vice versa, unless BTC or another cryptocurrency becomes very widely used and people get paid in it. A lot of people kept their BTC in their own secure wallets but when they transferred it to mtgox to sell for fiat and withdraw, their withdrawal wasn`t processed.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:14:07 AM

oh.

Thats a large generalization some might like the decentralization of bitcoin design but wish for everything else to be regulated around it.  Not my personal opinion but people could want different things from bitcoin.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:15:10 AM

What is being done legally about Gox?  Something has to be done, otherwise all exchanges are just going to do the same thing again and again.
You don't fix this problem with law - law is no more reliable than the humans interpreting and enforcing it.

You fix the problem with cryptography: http://bitcoinism.blogspot.com/2013/12/voting-pools-how-to-stop-plague-of.html
bestxchanger

Activity: 19

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 11:16:46 AM

face it bitcoin is just a usefull ponzi,i mean when you give your money to a classic ponzi your asset for a certain time is useless,you have no power of action with it.while with bitcoin you can buy,convert to another coin,or exchange your asset.ponzi for me is not a negativ terms,as all our fiat economi is run on a ponzi scheme,and that is working pretty good..for now..but nothin is made for during for ever ever..
bomb7

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:17:03 AM

Its NOT about buying BTC,it's about COMMON sense!!!!!!!!!!!

So,you'll just drop money in any ole bank/exchange/hole in the ground Huh  You NEVER EVER leave coin or cash in an exchange for ANY length of time !!!!!!! Do a trade,move it,never leave it........

I know that and you know that, but not everyone knows that. Everyday people`s experience of money is that you put it in the bank and leave it there, and take it out when you need it. It`s not common sense to them that they would need to shift it somewhere else to keep it secure.

This is the kind of gap in understanding that this community will need to bridge in order to gain widespread adoption. That won`t happen as long as we`re telling them they`re stupid for not knowing as much as us.

Really. Bitcoin will never be mainstream unless it becomes simple, secure, and hassle free for the average person.
max.

Activity: 58

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:21:50 AM

Just because 1 exchange ran a ponzi , doesn't make bitcoin itself a ponzi.

How can you be so sure that other exchangers don't work exactly like mtgox?

I think that all exchangers work exactly like mtgox like professional scammers.

Beware were you put your money, the best is to buy bitcoins directly from people.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:36:13 AM

In Libertarian utopia land, nobody has friends because they all live in their basement and order beef jerky and freeze-dried "astronaut food" off Amazon for sustenance. In reality, Bitcoin's big enough now where newcomers should be able to easily find a friend who has experience with BTC. I actually shouted at one person who, after I walked them through the buying process, said they were going to buy on Gox. This was months ago, and I've been warning against it for at least a year since fiat withdrawals were near-frozen. Actually, everyone who I've walked through the buying process immediately goes to Gox, without exception, if I'm remembering correctly... maybe one exception.

Maybe we need a newcomer-vet buddy pairing program when someone decides they want to learn about BTC. Cheesy I'll definitely double the call for local crypto<->fiat transfers. You can do it pretty much anywhere in any =<$10k amount... I'm in the middle of nowhere and it's just an hour or two drive in most directions if I want someone to meet with me for an exchange. Central exchanges are convenient, but it's very critical to have a good p2p exchange user base in place if the corporations should fall apart (said as part owner of a bitcoin vending machine).
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: