Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:36:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Importance of a GOOD NAME for coins  (Read 817 times)
kevorsen (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:06:24 AM
Last edit: March 14, 2014, 09:38:31 AM by kevorsen

I have realized that coins with bad names just cannot do well.

Do you feel the same? Do you feel the name will eventually be an important factor to final success?

Just seeing what ye all think.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
baka

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:17:45 AM

Wut? you mean my million koinyes are worthless?

ShareCoin Free and Fair Distribution. Sc8XY5PmHK1NJ2DNvJhS82AQVFwMGimX8w
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:55:55 AM

You should discuss this question with Microguy and Vlad. Actually you guys are right I would be happier to buy Goldcoins then Junk or Crap coins Smiley. As cyptos getting mainstream, a good name what will attract the attention of not crypto savvy users will be more and more important.
Pls note that I'm talking about users. You know, lads and lasses who want to buy and sell stuff for Whatevercoins, and not about "investors" who would jump onto crapcoin (and don't give a shit about its name) to have a ride and and make some profit if they see a good opportunity Smiley.
stealth923
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:01:01 PM

definitely agree with naming is just as important as the coins features.....no one is going to adopt something with a clunky name as "Vert" as a currency for mainstream in the future...

Hence why MicroCoin is one on my radar as is has all the right features and for example when you purchase something i.e. "That will be 100 micro's"...or "That will be 100 verts"......one fits, the other doesn't...
sadface

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:03:03 PM

why do you think worldcoin is still alive ? cause its got the best name by far.

so yes, i think the name is very important. nobody whos not a cryptonerd wants to buy stuff with some weird named currency when there is an alternative.
simply for that reason a lot of the shitcoins newly launched will fail or never fill anything but a tiny niche.
CoinBuzz

Activity: 490

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:30:57 PM

discussing about coin name, i think Digitalcoin (DGC) has the best name for what it is.

Join ASAP: FREE BITCOIN
murkster

Activity: 196

CLOAKCOIN. NOBLECOIN. VERICOIN.

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 12:36:58 PM

There's a saying, Its all in the name, doge = dodgy to me.

A big reason why I went for Ron Paul Coin and now Noble coin. I know what Ron Paul stands for and Noble well it says it all.

Smiley

~NOBLE: 9nob1eN1GAte3sbZsfPDkw74JDxT2hbXRo ~
heskey

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:16:44 PM

discussing about coin name, i think Digitalcoin (DGC) has the best name for what it is.
Possibly the most descriptive, but it gets stuck on the tongue.
Personally, I liked 'Polycoin' as a short term for 'polymorphic coin'. Sadly, it turned out to be one of the worst scam coins ever brought about.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
klangley11

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:27:02 PM

Wut? you mean my million koinyes are worthless?

lol ... no amount of 'koinye' could prove its worth.

'Doge' is a fun meme, but a trend.

Noble is good, but...

'Mintcoin'.

Now that's a name that sounds like business.

Also has that long-lasting, minty fresh kind of feel.

Go mint some coin! (or go trade breathmints, whatever you prefer) Grin
BitCoinPokerBro

Activity: 826

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:29:17 PM

A good name isn't everything though. There are plenty of failed coins with great names.
anderl

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:36:59 PM

A good name isn't everything though. There are plenty of failed coins with great names.

Agreed, but it is an aspect to get to the next level.  If DOGE rebranded I think it can go a lot further.  A fringe group that supports an internet meme is a small segment of a society.  To get total adoption a coin needs to be taken seriously by the majority.  If I was to introduce bitcoin to someone that doesn't know cryptos I could explain bit means a digital bit.  It is a representation of something electronic.

If I introduced them to DOGE coin, I would have to explain it is a dog with an E, and then have to explain why it has an E and then I would have to explain the source at Strongbad and then explain strongbad, then 4chan, and kids like it.  By that time I'm completely off the subject of digital currency.  This is why DOGE as a brand is terrible.
Jomppe

Activity: 168

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 08:44:45 AM

NAME HAS A LOT to do with how the coin turns out.

BITCOIN is easy to remember, and it explains what it is.

NETCOIN is a coin with a good name, but never really worked.

WORLDCOIN has the best name by far, people will look back 2 yrs from now, and wonder why they didn't buy now. that name can attract Facebook to buy it. =p

DOGECOIN I think this one is a joke to start with, but it is just so-easy to relate to, so people like it, won't last forever though, just saying.

Here's a list of stupid names:

VERTCOIN yeah, prime example of everything good, but the name. I mean, WTH, pick something better.
NAMECOIN : I mean.. really? yet it is high in market cap.
Coinye: the name is so bad, it got a law suit behind it.
PROTOSHARE: You know, to an average person, that name makes NO SENSE.
QUARK: .. really? might as well call it Proton. Quark is the dumbest name ever. "Mr, you got Quark?"  "my cock what?"

I agree, WorldCoin has the best name so far. In order to succeed in real life, it is crucial that the coin has a good name.
WorldCoin sounds global and actually it is quite good name - it brings the east to west together within 30 seconds only with secure network (no orphan blocks excessively).
greentea
Legendary

Activity: 1418
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:05:29 PM

I have realized that coins with bad names just cannot do well.

In the last 1 month, there are some coins launched, some with good stats, and good ideas, but just cannot gather enough Network hashrate, or ended up being a huge pump and dump.
Vertcoin for example. I love what they are doing there, ASIC resistant and an EXTREMELY fast growing community.

Went to $5.1+, held for a week, then BAM, $1.55
I can't help to see the ONLY thing weak about Vertcoin, is the name, I mean, normally who will buy a 'Vert' (green) coin.
that marketing there was just.. weakly thought out.
and I feel bad, cause they got everything else right.

Doge I don't understand, but I guess it appeals to people on the internet that likes the meme, easy to connect.
Litecoin sounds good, and came out early enough.
Worldcoin sounds good, probably will have a baseline of buyers.
Digitalcoin sounds good too, but someone PLEASE rework that coin logo.

Do you feel the same? Do you feel the name will eventually be an important factor to final success?

Just seeing what ye all think.

The name is overrated ... but obviously names like shitcoin, tittiecoin are going overboard with the shock factor.

Look at some of the most successful tech companies out there.
Apple, Google, Amazon ... Twitter I mean come on?

NEM   NanoWallet   SuperNodes   Apostille   Landstead   Catapult   Mijin
▃▃▃▅▅▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▅▅▅▃▃▃
KaozTiposta

Activity: 244
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:23:01 PM

You're right. A quality name with simple abbreviation is one of the most important things.

For example DARK, MINT, NEM, NXT, FLIX and of course BITCOIN.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: