Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:51:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox class action lawsuit?  (Read 1549 times)
smoothrunnings (OP)

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:23:30 AM

Now that MtGox is official gonzo, their website is gone, and they deleted all their tweets yesterday. I wonder if the people who still had Bitcoins with them are going to file a class action lawsuit against them?

My guess is if anyone finds the CEO and founder they too could see a civil suit filed against them too.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
msbtc

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:31:24 AM

the short answer?  no.

no one is successfully going to class action Gox.  Bitcoins aren't real.  What are they going to cry to the government about, a missing computer hash?

not to mention, the governments have been warning people not to buy it for a long time.  Bitcoins don't exist, they're not recognized as currency, so nothing was stolen when you bought "air" with your real money.

Cool
banaltcoin

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:32:06 AM

the short answer?  no.

no one is successfully going to class action Gox.  Bitcoins aren't real.  What are they going to cry to the government about, a missing computer hash?

not too mention, the governments have been warning people not to buy it for a long time.  Bitcoins don't exist, they're not recognized as currency, so nothing was stolen when you bought "air" with your real money.

Cool

should we give up bitcoin now?
msbtc

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:33:05 AM

no.  Smiley of course not-

-hold it for a few years, till you see what becomes of it all.
banaltcoin

Activity: 56

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:35:43 AM

no.  Smiley of course not-

-hold it for a few years, till you see what becomes of it all.

why not? bitcoin is nothing like air, buying bitcoin is like buying for nothing
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:43:39 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2014, 12:22:20 PM by franky1

the short answer?  no.

no one is successfully going to class action Gox.  Bitcoins aren't real.  What are they going to cry to the government about, a missing computer hash?

not to mention, the governments have been warning people not to buy it for a long time.  Bitcoins don't exist, they're not recognized as currency, so nothing was stolen when you bought "air" with your real money.

Cool

so binary data that forms music, which then gets stolen by people pretending they made it. has never led to court cases?

or that binary data that forms movies, games, software......

oh and lets add some more insight... pirate@40 got arrested in relation to bitcoins.. Shrem also got arrested. so i dont think bitcoins are imaginary.
and if bitcoins were imaginary. then why are you here writing messages about something that does not exist. why waste your life on a topic you do not believe in?

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Sheldor333

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:25:51 PM

I don't think anyone here is qualified to answer you this (unless they are a lawyer) best you can do is find a lawyer and see what can be done about that. If you have money that is. Then when people find out I think they will join in. Anyone who lost more then 10 BTC will join you, not to mention those who lost 100 BTC or more.

msbtc

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:30:20 PM

the short answer?  no.

Cool

so that binary data that forms music, which then gets stolen by people pretending they made it. has never led to court cases?

or that binary data that forms movies, games, software......

oh and lets add some more insight... pirate@40 got arrested in relation to bitcoins.. Shrem also got arrested. so i dont think bitcoins are imaginary.
and if bitcoins were imaginary. then why are you here writing messages about something that does not exist. why waste your life on a topic you do not believe in?

well let me ask you, does 15 total posts from a newbie look like a 'lifewaster' to you (Mr 546 posts hero member), or is it possible you are projecting your own guilty feelings of wasting your life on fairy currency onto someone else?

Nevertheless, I do own a small amount of bitcoin, -as an insurance against it's rise, and because I like it frankly.  I'm not out much if it goes down, but I'm not out of the loop if it were to skyrocket.  That's the extent of my interest...

btw,  big gov backs the big music industry, just like the big banks-  that's the key difference.  Wall Street Occupiers could not complain if they broke the law and were arrested for doing something the gov told them not to.  If we buy something the gov tells us not too, especially something that challenges or even usurps it's establishment and government big banking- than you are seen as it's enemy,  and do you find yourself surprised that the gov won't help you get back the bitcoins you hope to usurp it with?

There's the difference.  It's a bit like being a freedom fighter in Ukraine now and then complaining to that government who you are fighting against that a fellow rebel stole your cache of ammo and RPG's.  Oh... waaaa.  What would have happened in Egypt if the protestors tried to sue another rebel faction in court for the ammo they stole from them? "Wait, guys, these other rebels took our ammo.  Can you please help me get it back?"  

Sure, I'm sure that would go over nicely.

The moral of this is, if you are going to go against the banking industry, the national currency, and create your own 'currency' outside the safety net of regulated fiat AML KYC suable structures, then you don't have much to say if you lose your stuff.  You can't go crying to big banking, big gov and plead with them for help.

-Sorry guys.  If it's really the wild west here in Bitcoinia, then confront Gox people wild west style, -yourself (not with guns obviously.)

-It seems that no sheriff is going to save you.
waldox

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 12:32:37 PM

i expect a class action on gox

lets watch the unfolding show

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:33:05 PM

I wonder what happens when you learn that there's no such thing as class action in Japan.

Let's try it out.

Notice: There is no class action in Japan.
Sparkzor

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:34:08 PM

the short answer?  no.

Cool
What about all the FIAT that can't be withdrawn?
msbtc

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:36:48 PM

I wonder what happens when you learn that there's no such thing as class action in Japan.

Let's try it out.

if that's true  (it is)...
-end of discussion. 

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 12:41:02 PM

Let's try it out.

Is there any alternative?

P.S. Such a suit would work because of 2 reasons: 1) people have gotten arrested because of bitcoins; 2) fiat.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:45:56 PM

btw,  big gov backs the big music industry, just like the big banks-  that's the key difference. If we buy something the gov tells us not too, especially something that challenges or even usurps it's establishment and government big banking- than you are seen as it's enemy,  and do you find yourself surprised that the gov won't help you get back the bitcoins you hope to usurp it with?

im sorry to inform you but governments have not said bitcoins are a no, no.. infact major governments are in the middle of making regulations, this means they recognise it as something people want and that they need to monitor the sale/purchase of.

There's the difference.  It's a bit like being a freedom fighter in Ukraine now and then complaining to that government who you are fighting against that a fellow rebel stole your cache of ammo and RPG's.  Oh... waaaa.  
the ukraine scenario is where protestors held cops and government members hostage.. but now the cops and government members have an arrest warrant. not for protesters, but for their own leader.. well ex leader now he has ran off to the border.

The moral of this is, if you are going to go against the banking industry, the national currency, and create your own 'currency' outside the safety net of regulated fiat AML KYC suable structures, then you don't have much to say if you lose your stuff.  You can't go crying to big banking, big gov and plead with them for help.
bitcoin is not against FIAT, it is beside fiat. much like the euro is beside the dollar, or the pound. its just another currency. Bitcoin is not designed to remove FIAT from the face of the planet, its designed to give people choices. and my last post gave 2 examples that authorities do actually know the difference between legitimate users of bitcoin, and users that have done illegal activities using bitcoin (pirate@40, DPR, Shrem) so dont even try saying the authorities don't get involved.

-Sorry guys.  If it's really the wild west here in Bitcoinia, then confront Gox people wild west style, -yourself (not with guns obviously.)

-It seems that no sheriff is going to save you.

i seriously think anyone trying to say that a class action cannot happen, are either trolls trying to bait a argument. or friends of karpeles trying to dissuade people from following it through.

and my last 'opinion'... the guys that are protesting outside mtgox offices should be the ones that front the lawsuit. they are already in the country which makes taking karpeles to court much easier to handle.

EDIT:
i just read how some of you think class actions don't exist in japan..... you seriously need to get your head out of the san and research once in a while..

try researching QCO's.. infact i know you are lazy so ill just link you one result http://www.amt-law.com/pdf/bulletins3_pdf/120518.pdf

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:48:12 PM

Let's try it out.

Is there any alternative?

P.S. Such a suit would work because of 2 reasons: 1) people have gotten arrested because of bitcoins; 2) fiat.

You could check the legal sub-forum.  It's been under discussion there for days.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Beans

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 01:58:10 PM

the short answer?  no.

Cool

I had 60k on there and transferred funds to btc to withdraw them. I got about 25% out and the rest ended up stuck in btc while the value dropped. They could not have planned it better for people like me. Now I don't have any amount of usd worth suing over. If you had enough btc tied up I would think legal action would be possible. It's still theft like anything else.
jereminer

Activity: 42

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 02:02:24 PM

For 0.5 BTC I can give you the personal details of the Gox CEO ...
epubmatic

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 02:26:56 PM

Try this:

http://www.selachii.co.uk/solicitors-blog/mt-gox-crisis-investors/

Me too I was Gottex and I'm angry!
The people that say BTC are like air maybe don't know what is BTC. You have to study.
What is a stock market? Air? :-D
bitcoinminer

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 03:43:08 PM

Maybe you could have him squat on all fours, and just tug your bitcoins out of his pecker?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:29:45 PM

I can't say I think much of the opening of the complaint:

This catastrophic loss has not only revealed the instability of a burgeoning new industry, it has also uncovered a massive scheme to defraud millions of consumers into providing a private company with real, paper money in exchange for virtual currency.

First off, BTC isn't a virtual currency, it's a digital currency.  A virtual currency is generally something with one issuer, like Linden Dollars, and that issuer can issue more at any time.

Second, it's absurdly self-defeating, when you are suing someone for losing something of value, to claim that it was worthless.  Okay, so Gox lost something completely worthless.  What do you want the court to do?

Once you get to the end, the prayer for relief itself is more or less well done, but something like Bitcoin is already going to be complicated to explain to a judge without getting things wrong right out of the gate.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: