Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:56:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Crazyness Build Time  (Read 3873 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 01:57:32 PM

Yes and no.

PCIe has a concept of both lanes and ports.  So the Southbridge has those 16 PCIe lanes configured to a single port.  When you see a board that has 2 slots and it can be 1x PCIe16x or 2 PCIe8x it means the PCIe switch inside the southbridge is capable of dynamically configuring the port to lane assignments. 

Just splitting the lanes physically will do no good.  The PCIe switch inside the southbridge won't "know" there should be 3 or 7 more logical ports.

So what you need is a PCIE switch (a chip which can route PCIe lanes to ports) and that would require a custom PCB.

There are existing solutions which provide PCIe expansion but they are way to expensive.  Here is one example:
http://www.magma.com/expressbox16basic.asp
It adds 16 PCIe slots in an external chasis from a single 16x port.  So hypothetically take a MB w/ 4 PCIe 16x slots connect each one to a 16 bay expansion chasis and gain 64 slots for GPUs.

Two problems.  One the chassis and expander is an insane $4500.  Two AMD stupidly limits you to 8 GPU.

Given the 8 GPU limit I have found the easiest, fastest, and most efficient setup is a motherboard with 3x 16x slots spaced two spaces apart and use 3x 5970s for 6 total GPU.  No other method seems to come close to that in terms of cost.
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shakaru (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 05:42:50 PM

Ive been looking into Magma products fir a while now and while I love the companies products, with them you are paying for enclosure and cabling.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                       ▄███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▄
                     ▄█████▄▄██████████████▄▄█████▄
        ██████  █████████▄████████████████████▄█████
        ██████  ███████▄████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▄████
                      ▄██████▀████████████▀██████▄████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
                     █████████████████████████████████
            ██████████▀██████▄████████████▄██████▀████
            ███████████▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄███
                    █████▀████████████████▄▀██████▄
                     ▀█████▀▀██████████████▀██▀██████▄
                       ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 22, 2011, 10:33:53 PM

Ive been looking into Magma products fir a while now and while I love the companies products, with them you are paying for enclosure and cabling.

A couple other companies make bare backplanes.  Price is still astronomical.  Like >$2K for 16 slots and >$1K for 4 slots.  IIRC Magma doesn't manufacture their own bakcplanes. They are just a Value Added Reseller putting OEM parts together with warranty and service.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2011, 06:09:30 AM

Don't know if it is still current, but I was looking at this last year (different application) and found some Compaq stuff.  4 16x slots for $3.5k from memory - there were cheaper ways to do this, and having boards with 4 GPUs is ok for what I'm playing with.
Brian DeLoach
VIP

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 25, 2011, 12:52:36 AM

B) No I do not pay for elec, I have a datacenter, I pay a hosting rate

Is this to say you own a datacenter or are just leasing from one? Since you say your not paying for electricity, leasing has got to be much more expensive?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: