Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:43:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The mysterious MtGox buyer  (Read 5614 times)
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:09:31 PM
Last edit: February 25, 2014, 07:51:20 PM by Rampion

It's clear that somebody wants us to believe that MtGox is being bought by a third party. The facts:

1) Somebody has leaked the following document: http://es.scribd.com/doc/209050732/MtGox-Situation-Crisis-Strategy-Draft

No explicit mention to Gox being sold, but a lot of explicit mentions to re-branding, etc.

Very unlikely to be an internal doc (at least as it is), but some of the info might not be completely false. Five minutes after the "leak" of this document MtGox website disappeared and trading was halted. Previously to that all the feed of their tweeter account was deleted. Just yesterday "gox.com" was registered apparently by Mark Karpeles himself, and now redirects to mtgox.com. Everything seems to support the "leaked document" discourse.

2) Somebody inside MtGox wants us to believe it will be sold/acquired imminently. The below comment can be read on mtgox.com HTML code, and the one who placed it knows very well that comment would have been seen by everybody and thus "leaked" to the masses:

<html>
   <head>
      <title>MtGox.com</title>
   </head>
   <body>
      <!-- put announce for mtgox acq here -->
   </body>
</html>

3) Karpeles just replied to a Reuters reporter, implying Gox was about to be sold. The question was: "is MtGox dead"? The literal answer: "We should have an official announcement ready soon-ish. We are currently at a turning point for the business. I can't tell much more for now as this also involves other parties."

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/25/us-bitcoin-mtgox-ceo-idUSBREA1O12T20140225

Summing up: somebody wants us to believe Gox will be bought by someone, very soon.

Who do you believe is so crazy to buy such a destroyed brand? My personal view right now is that nobody sane would pay for Gox - there has been no time for a due diligence and it looks unlikely somebody would throw money to Gox during this shitstorm, this a simple re-branding and a make-up action is much more likely in my opinion.

Anyhow, there's too little info to be sure of anything yet.

What do you think? Who could be the mysterious buyer? Speculate.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hostmaster

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 03:11:45 PM

Situation getting more interesting. I dont see any movie done like this. MTGOX and their dids.
WuttWutt

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:13:06 PM

Chancelor on the brink of third bailout for MtGox
rograz

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:23:03 PM

If WhatsApp's user base was worth 19B to Facebook then Mtgox's user base is probably worth something to someone as well, especially if you are the one "saving" them from the "evil" Mtgox, goodwill goes a long way.
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:25:52 PM

If WhatsApp's user base was worth 19B to Facebook then Mtgox's user base is probably worth something to someone as well, especially if you are the one "saving" them from the "evil" Mtgox, goodwill goes a long way.

My question: to whom? And... Right now? An acquisition takes months, if not years. Due diligences are lenghty processes. You just do not make a phone call and throw an offer out of your ass.

So, has Karpeles been in negotiations to sell Gox for many months? And again: to whom?

DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:27:01 PM

Is it just me or does this remind you of weexchange and their "we're going to announce something soon"

WTF is going on with all these useless exchanges?!?

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:27:20 PM

Who would be stupid enough to buy Mt. Gox?   The liability to account holders is huge and the mingling of client funds with operating funds is likely criminal.    Who is stupid enough to take that liability on in order to get "customer" names?   There are no assets.    The name is a synonym for fucking customers over and ranks up there with the "brand" power of Butterfly Labs.   It is like someone begging to buy Madoff Securities for the great list of investors and all the goodwill that is in the brand name.

Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:29:39 PM

Right now on mtgox.com:

Dear MtGox Customers,

In the event of recent news reports and the potential repercussions on MtGox's operations and the market, a decision was taken to close all transactions for the time being in order to protect the site and our users. We will be closely monitoring the situation and will react accordingly.

Best regards,
MtGox Team

"In the event of recent news"Huh So they have shut down all the operations WITHOUT PRIOR ANNOUNCEMENT because of "recent news"? What news?

Gox is really treating their customers like fools. Angry mobs with pitchforks are completely justified at this point.

leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:34:24 PM

everybody was screaming for days, why don't Gox close trading too, blablablah

Now they do

You got what you asked for.  Undecided

Truth is the new hatespeech.
arnuschky

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:42:05 PM

Chancelor on the brink of third bailout for MtGox

you made my day. Cheesy
Definit

Activity: 357
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:47:46 PM

Dear MtGox Customers,

In the event of recent news reports and the potential repercussions on MtGox's operations and the market, a decision was taken to close all transactions for the time being in order to protect the site and our users. We will be closely monitoring the situation and will react accordingly.

Best regards,
MtGox Team

This is now posted on their website.
T.Stuart

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:49:11 PM

Now they do

Come on it's not what people asked for. Trading is trading. A website is something else.

For me it's the lack of communication. At this stage do anything, literally anything... just f***ing communicate properly!

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:49:24 PM

There is no way a buyer will surface.  Assuming a buyer could be found and bitcoins returned to the site, everyone with an ounce of intelligence would immediately withdraw all their bitcoins as quickly as possible.  The way MtGox has been performing over the past few months and the abrupt shutdown pretty much precludes an orderly buyout and restart.
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:51:00 PM

Who would want to buy Mtgox, They are being sued for 75 Million by coinlabs, they have 10+ million seized by coinlabs and the US gouv. They owe 10's of millions to their clients.

Mtgox is the worst buy ever. The only one I see buying mtgox may be coinlabs and thats a stretch
fluidjax

Activity: 750
Merit: 601

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:51:11 PM

Its the users that have value,.
If you give them something they can believe in, a little cooling off period and some incentives to use the new exchange it might just work out.
Cluster2k
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:51:20 PM

Now they do

It's one thing to halt trading until matters are sorted out.  People can still log in, get information, check balances, etc.  It's something completely different to just pull the plug without warning.  If it was the intention of MtGox to shutdown for a while before restarting they have done every single aspect of the process completely and utterly wrong.
Rampion (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:52:53 PM

There is no way a buyer will surface.  Assuming a buyer could be found and bitcoins returned to the site, everyone with an ounce of intelligence would immediately withdraw all their bitcoins as quickly as possible.  The way MtGox has been performing over the past few months and the abrupt shutdown pretty much precludes an orderly buyout and restart.

Agreed. Either Karpeles have been already negotiating with the potential buyer for many months, the due-diligence is already finalized, etc. and during the shitstorm Karpeles made a very good offer (like 50% of what the company would be worth on the paper) to the buyer, or this doesn't make sense at all.

Cluster2k
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:53:14 PM

If you give them something they can believe in, a little cooling off period and some incentives to use the new exchange it might just work out.

I have an account.  I would never use it again.  MtGox has tried the little carrot trick before by offering 0% fee trades for a few weeks.  What are they going to do now?  They would have to shower users with free bitcoins to get them to return, and even then anyone with any sense would say 'thanks' while withdrawing them.
usabitcoinbuyer

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:54:52 PM

On a more sinister note... how much do you think all that ID information for the verified users is worth?

When they locked BTC withdrawals for unverified users, I adamantly refused to verify because I'd rather lose the few BTC I had there than give them the ID info.  Went back and forth with support for weeks arguing that it couldn't possibly help prove I owned the account.  Suggested that for KYC, it should be sufficient to let me transfer ("gift") my BTC to another (verified) account if they needed to know where the BTC went.  Every response boiled down to please verify (i.e. send us a big pile of personal info)
nagnagnag2

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 05:03:00 PM

3) Karpeles just replied to a Reuters reporter....

how do you/we know that he didn't lie to the reporter?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: