Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:01:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens when the price of Bitcoin falls below the cost of mining?  (Read 16781 times)
svetochka.yakovleva.93

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 11:50:30 AM

this is not possible! if the price falls below $ 5,000, then production will not be relevant! miners will not want to lower their cost! on this in the near future we will see the turn of the crypto market!
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
KingBit.io

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 12:12:50 PM

The best option is to stop mining for now. When the price of Bitcoin rises again, we will have thousands of miners waiting for this moment. And if you are a miner and have working capital to mine at a loss, and you believe that Bitcoin will return to highs in the future, then mining can now be a good long-term investment. It is an expense that will be rewarded in the future.
rahimali

Activity: 252

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 01:19:43 PM

BTC mining is wellknown for earning BTC in a safe way. It’s help to being BTC transection fee less. But if BTC continuously going down then it will felt very bad effects on BTC mining.
Stumbleupon

Activity: 47

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 01:31:48 PM

Actually it won't be dying and if this hash rates up there will be no problem because the miners will be mine and this value will be remaining same in the market.
VogueaNON

Activity: 99

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 01:43:55 PM

I don't really agree to it. The cryptocurrency market is always unstable and I believe that the dump is temporary. Soon the price of Bitcoin will start rising again. The miners will not suffer loss because Bitcoin can never go out of the trend.
jonloner011

Activity: 224

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 03:30:31 PM

I think just the opposite. BTC will be continued mining though the price becomes low. I don't think the market volatility can go so that far that it becomes unbearable for miners to bear the cost. If it becomes lower than $3500, the miners will continue mining, as they know the price will grow up.
Giarturner

Activity: 23

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 04:54:38 PM

According to the expert reports and my own realization, mining will eventually pay off and give profit if you don't stop it out of frustration. Another thing we need to consider is that, not all the countries have the same electricity billing system and some miners might take advantage of that and keep continue to mine even when the price falls below the profit range.
dangkhoasn

Activity: 182

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2018, 05:10:53 PM

If bitcoin prices fall deeply. I do not think anyone else is going to exploit bitcoin anymore. The cost of mining is too high.
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 05:24:49 PM

Hashing power depends on the number of active miners and directly affects the Bitcoin difficulty meaning that the more people give up mining the less difficulty it will be for the rest. So if a lot of current miners decide to stop mining due to unprofitability the hashing power will decrease and in turn lower the mining costs. I think this equilibrium prevents Bitcoin from becoming permanently unprofitable to mine in case of unforeseen extreme circumstances that can destroy the market.
Hoeyreto

Activity: 26

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 05:25:08 PM

I don't think that the price of Bitcoin will ever fall below the cost of Bitcoin mining. But even if that happens, I don't think the miners will stop mining Bitcoin. This is because the cryptocurrency market is always unstable and the price may start pricing at any moment.
Ophanim

Activity: 124

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 05:33:26 PM

Nothing much to be honest. As long as the hash rates are up, then even if the price falls to a negative value, this coin will still have a value in the market.
Jumbo Crawlers

Activity: 31

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 05:35:51 PM

I believe nothing will happen to mining. I have seen people mining BTC when it was being sold in the market for 1,000$ only and I don't think it will ever fall to that level ever again. The thing with mining is the startup cost is quite high but eventually you'll start making profit if the electricity bill doesn't surpass the market price.
OutOfTheBox56

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 05:50:13 PM

First of all it is very much impossible that bitcoins price will gonna fall even below the mining and if it happens then the existence of bit coin will become disappear which is impossible.
ShieldAsset099

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 05:52:32 PM

most of the people start mining bitcoin went the price was very low and if i'm not wrong then it may be 1k and how could it be possible to fall the price below 1k.
dohh

Activity: 332
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 05:56:04 AM

The price is not the thing to be worried about. It will be of grave concern if the hash rate falls. Because then the BTC will be in deep trouble. So the price rate does not matter at all,a s long as the hash rates are up.

What You write, is nonsense. If You believe, that BTC has something to do with crowdsourced hashing, then lessening reward is in direct correlation with hash rate.
FunZedCrypto

Activity: 79

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 06:04:57 AM

Right now, it doesn't look like mining will stop as recently Bitcoin experienced an all time high hash rate which just indicates that the miners are mining coins with twice the intensity and effort. Even if the price of BTC falls below the cost of mining, the miners can get profit in the long run as they can easily continue to mine with same rig over and over again.
billy4u

Activity: 92

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2018, 06:38:06 AM

Hopefully, it won't fall to that level. Miners are fams that understand the process of bitcoin investment. Most bitcoin investors do not look for short term returns but the long-term effects. They might panic but trust me. They will hold on till bitcoin gain grounds again
Eden Thompson
Copper Member

Activity: 104

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 07:02:25 AM

When the price of electricity is higher than buying bitcoin directly they will shut down their miners. When it rises above what they can buy for money they will start their miners.
The fewer miners there are, the more profit there is per miner for those who are left, so the amount of miners will reach some equilibrium.
They will most likely not turn off their miners, but they will shift them to something else than bitcoin. If there are no other coins they can mine than bitcoin there will just be less mining.
Macon Bargeman

Activity: 140
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 07:14:19 AM
Merited by Vovka4 (1)

Even if price keeps dropping, I'll keep buying because I think price will eventually rise again and see new highs. I'm prepared to wait years for the big turnaround. But for miners, aren't most of them about immediate gains?
Speaking in economic terms, why would someone (not motivated by the ideals of crypto-currency) mine something if its value is less than the cost to mine it. In the real world, be it real gold or drilling for oil, or other, if cost is greater than reward, a business does not invest in such things.
Flowerbiuq

Activity: 53

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 07:23:17 AM

If it's lower than the cost of mining, then some small mines may go bankrupt, and there won't be people coming to the market right away to buy bitcoins because some big mines have very low electricity.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: