Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:04:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitscoins dead with this Mt. Goth Scandal?  (Read 2752 times)
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 11:02:47 AM

Just because an exchange is shutdown doesn't mean the currency is, have you ever see a dollar exchange center shutdown and dollar loses all it's value? no
well... in 1913 a dollar was worth 1/20th of an ounce of pure gold. Then they opened up this joint called the Federal Reserve. Now a dollar is worth less than the paper it's printed on...

However, bitcoin isn't a centrally controlled entity. If the coins are REALLY locked up, then the coin just got more valuable, as there will only ever be 21 million of 'em. Take away 800 grand from that total, and scarcity just got better. OTOH, if they were stolen, then they are still potentially in circulation. Sucks for Gox, damn their incompetent hides, and anyone who didn't read "mene, mene, tekel, uparshin" on their front page two years ago, but it's probably a net gain for Bitcoin. In either case. They have been a festering pustule on bitcoin for quite some time. I hear tales that they were once something great, but those days were past before I got involved a couple years back.

Me, I'm sittin' back and watching. Every time in the past when the price of bitcoin dropped like this, it came back to even greater heights. Now that Gox has declared bankruptcy, I consider the matter largely closed. Those who held coins in Gox got screwed. Sucks, but it is what it is. Some will possibly recover some damages in the disbursement of the court, but the community can now move on. I'm thinking the next peak will be 1500 USD, and it will be soon. Then it'll drop back to around a grand.

I ain't got no crystal ball, and that's just my opinion, but it is based on the observed pattern of bitcoin over the last approximately two years.
Agreed, but next peak will definitely be higher that $2000
I sincerely hope you're right Cheesy But for the sake of purchasing some miners, I hope it waits a couple weeks...

don't worry, the next up is coming in a few months not weeks Cheesy
it's good as long as it's coming Smiley
Again, I hope you're right. The rise to 1200 was quick, and the fall was sedate, until 6 percent of the supply got goxed. Still, the floor seems to be around 550. Coinbase is at 567 as I type this, and it has been bobbling around that all day. If it can stay there for about two weeks I can get a pair of Ants Cheesy If not, I can probably still get one. That'll put me at about 300 GH/s.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: