Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:16:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Issues With First Withdraw  (Read 981 times)
Vitamin (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:03:21 PM

Hello everyone.  I'm new to Bitcoin, having just made my first purchase of 0.1 BTC a couple days ago.  I tried to withdraw it from Coinbase (yes, I knew enough to not invest in Mt Gox), and seem to be having difficulty.

I'm pretty sure the problem is on my end with my wallet.  Before ordering my 0.1 BTC I decided to download the Bitcoin-QT wallet.  I didn't know how big of a file the ledger actually is, and by the time it ate up 75% percent of my data plan I decided it wasn't worth it.  Unfortunately, I ordered my transfer while it was still downloading the ledger which is why I'm guessing it's never come in.

I've since downloaded the MultiBit wallet, transferred some coins from Coinbase to it, and am quite happy with it.  Is there anyway I can get my 0.1 BTC out of cyberspace and into my MultiBit wallet?  The most obvious way to just let Bitcoin-QT finish downloading the ledger, but for obvious reasons I don't want to do that.  Coinbase has already issued me the receipt of the withdraw in my account on their site with several clickable links and a couple of downloadable files that I'm not sure if there's anything I can do with.  Is there anything I can do except just let Bitcoin-Q finish downloading?  Thank you in advance for helping a noob. Smiley
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 11:47:54 PM

Hello everyone.  I'm new to Bitcoin, having just made my first purchase of 0.1 BTC a couple days ago.  I tried to withdraw it from Coinbase (yes, I knew enough to not invest in Mt Gox), and seem to be having difficulty.

I'm pretty sure the problem is on my end with my wallet.  Before ordering my 0.1 BTC I decided to download the Bitcoin-QT wallet.  I didn't know how big of a file the ledger actually is, and by the time it ate up 75% percent of my data plan I decided it wasn't worth it.  Unfortunately, I ordered my transfer while it was still downloading the ledger which is why I'm guessing it's never come in.

I've since downloaded the MultiBit wallet, transferred some coins from Coinbase to it, and am quite happy with it.  Is there anyway I can get my 0.1 BTC out of cyberspace and into my MultiBit wallet?  The most obvious way to just let Bitcoin-QT finish downloading the ledger, but for obvious reasons I don't want to do that.  Coinbase has already issued me the receipt of the withdraw in my account on their site with several clickable links and a couple of downloadable files that I'm not sure if there's anything I can do with.  Is there anything I can do except just let Bitcoin-Q finish downloading?  Thank you in advance for helping a noob. Smiley

If you withdraw money into your qt wallet and bitstamp already sent it (you have tx)
then you must wait till qt will synchronize Smiley
No other way to get it back.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 11:54:20 PM

Not true.  Simply import the wallet from your Bitcoin-QT into your MultiBit wallet.  This will import the keys for the Bitcoin address you created in your Bitcoin-QT wallet into the MultiBit wallet.

Wala, the coins will magically appear in your MultiBit wallet.

However, you need the wallet.dat file created by Bitcoin-QT, hopefully you did not delete it.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 11:58:12 PM

Not true.  Simply import the wallet from your Bitcoin-QT into your MultiBit wallet.  This will import the keys for the Bitcoin address you created in your Bitcoin-QT wallet into the MultiBit wallet.

Wala, the coins will magically appear in your MultiBit wallet.

However, you need the wallet.dat file created by Bitcoin-QT, hopefully you did not delete it.

even without synchronization first?

ah yes ... multibit will get wallet address from qt if you do that Smiley

My bad! Smiley You are right!
Vitamin (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 02:30:05 AM

Thank you all for your help!  There is a "wallet.dat" in the Bitcoin folder, which I am certain was created by QT.  However, I get an error message when I try to use it.  It says, "com.google.bitcoin.store.UnreadableWalletException Could not read wallet"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: