Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:37:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets bring money into Bitcoin & find new ways of organising free software  (Read 2169 times)
genjix (OP)
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 09:00:25 AM

Hey,

I coded up http://bitcoin.cz.cc as an experiment but it mostly seems to have been ignored?

By putting bounties on each bug fix and feature, Gavin and the other bitcoin developers will be able to tell which features and bug fixes are most urgent. Each part of the project has it's own price! This pricing mechanism for FOSS projects is a radical improvement over the model of putting arbitrary priorities on bugs and features.

Why not add this to your signature if you're a dev?
##############
"Vote up your favourite ideas to go into Bitcoin"
##############

It's a small thing, but it goes a long way to us gathering data/finding out how to do things.

---------------------

You propose features for Bitcoin. The front page shows a mix of the most donated proposals (10) and newest ones (5). Once the feature is implemented in Bitcoin then the bounty goes to the author and the proposal is deleted.

Think of it as an experiment into future methods for bitcoin based free software dev. Right now I'm just putting it out there to see what happens. If it grows then we can think about turning it into a bug tracker type thing with tickets, comments, statuses, assignment of tickets and search.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
epii

Activity: 210
Merit: 106

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 03:58:40 PM

It strikes me that most bounty-by-donation sites have the feature that donation transactions aren't actually processed until the bounty is won, so there's no loss for donating to something that turns out to be a dead-end project.  But is there even a practical way to do this with Bitcoin?

Edit:  Cool website, though!  Definitely shouldn't be ignored.  Grin
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2011, 04:36:15 PM

It strikes me that most bounty-by-donation sites have the feature that donation transactions aren't actually processed until the bounty is won, so there's no loss for donating to something that turns out to be a dead-end project.  But is there even a practical way to do this with Bitcoin?

Edit:  Cool website, though!  Definitely shouldn't be ignored.  Grin

The managing site can just hold them until the project is satisfactorily completed. If you wanted to eliminate even the risk of the site stealing from you there could be a confirmed and unconfirmed bounty.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
epii

Activity: 210
Merit: 106

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 04:50:02 PM

But the difference between delaying the transaction and actually holding the pledge is that, even if you trust the site, the pledge will be held forever if the bounty is never won, which is a loss.  However, it kind of defeats the purpose of a "pledge" if people are able to cancel their pledge to get refunded.  So if the transaction itself can't be delayed, the only other option I see is to place a deadline on the bounty, after which all pledges will be refunded if the bounty is not won.
genjix (OP)
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
March 25, 2011, 08:24:03 AM

Deadlines sound cool. How would that work in practice? 1 year before items expire?

I'd prefer all proposals have the same expiry date (if they do) because considering all the different expiry dates for someone who takes on that proposal is confusing.
grbgout

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 08:56:14 AM

The managing site can just hold them until the project is satisfactorily completed. If you wanted to eliminate even the risk of the site stealing from you there could be a confirmed and unconfirmed bounty.

Seems like the ideal task for Gavin Andersen's ClearCoin.  If ClearCoin collects a percentage of the escrow for acting as a mediary (don't see it mentioned anywhere either way), perhaps it could waive the collection since the escrow is going to develop the official bitcoin project.

After taking a quick glance at the site so far, I strongly suggest that it be tied directly to the official bitcoin new features and bugs github page.  Users submit feature requests and bugs through the official channels, improving visibility for the developers, and the project-support list more closely follows the active, regular, development.  If it is not tied to the official list, then unnecessary effort is imposed on developers since they have to monitor multiple lists.  Having the bounty list based on the official "issues" page also improves rewards going to the right people.

I suspect this was your goal all along, and the existing site is more a proof of concept.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: