Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:49:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin foundation and Gox  (Read 1964 times)
grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:02:19 PM

What would you have liked them to say/do?
Stop scamming people?
How is the Bitcoin Foundation scamming people?

To be clear I don't particularly see the need for them either, but people seem to have some really strange ideas.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rikkejohn (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 06:56:37 PM
Last edit: February 26, 2014, 07:10:21 PM by rikkejohn

I just had another peep at the site, and I still can't see a statement about the peculiarities of the situation at Mt Gox, the missing 750,000 BTCs, Karpeles refusal to actually say anything and the effect all this has on the holders of BTC or cash at Mt Gox.

I am amazed at the cowardice and while I understand there are legal issues with saying too much, I can't fathom out why it is so silent.

This is its statement of intent on the website, which has been completely ignored during the biggest crisis the BTC community has faced:

As the Bitcoin economy has evolved, we have all noticed barriers to its widespread adoption—botnets that attempt to undermine the network, hackers that threaten wallets, and an undeserved reputation stirred by ignorance and inaccurate reporting.

To us, it became clear that something had to be done. We see this foundation as critical for bringing legitimacy to the Bitcoin currency. Only then can we increase its adoption and positive impact on the world’s finance.

[...]

We are determined to keep Bitcoin rooted in its core principles: non-political economy, openness and independence. While we aim to advance standards and security, we remain strong advocates of the liberating power of decentralized money. Our goal is to act as both an organizing body for Bitcoin and simultaneously be inclusive of the general Bitcoin community. Only then will our mission succeed.

What a waste of f***ing time!

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
bitjuicy

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 07:31:54 PM

I wrote an article about the Foundation's need to clean up it's act and refocus it's efforts. Mark Karpeles is the second of two Foundation board members forced to resign for misbehavior in less than a month. To put this number in perspective, there are now only 5 board members remaining today.

Board member behaviors leading to these resignations give a black eye to the Foundation, the currency, and our community. It also cripples the Foundation’s role to enhance acceptance of Bitcoin, as stated in “Why We Need A Foundation,” (https://bitcoinfoundation.org/about/why):

“We see this foundation as critical for bringing legitimacy to the Bitcoin currency. Only then can we increase its adoption and positive impact on the world’s finance.”
If anything, the Foundation, through failing to properly select honest representatives and to act quickly when those representative’s actions became suspect, is guilty of the very reputation damage they seek to overcome.

If you're interested in reading more, go to http://bitjuice.com/2014/02/25/bitcoin-foundation-needs-to-refocus
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: