Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:14:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multibit and using single addresses from cold storage  (Read 746 times)
deepskydiver (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 42

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 01:49:54 AM

I've created some addresses for storage - to be kept in encryped backup offline. They are in the format of the private key strings exported from multibit (a .key file). And I've now split them into individual files with one key in each. So there are a few xxxx.key files with the private keys which I can import into multibit when I need to move bitcoin from an address. I did this because multibit doesn't seem to allow sending or viewing the balance at the level of an individual address.

I understand that there is another address associated when installed - created with the new default wallet. So my question is: when I send the coin from that single imported address, will multibit put change into another address - which to that point I haven't backed up?

If so - what is the best way to use multibit to load cold individual storage addresses and transact with them?

I suppose I could just backup wallets for a similar purpose - but I like the security of human readable keys as the most portable format which I could potentially use with other clients later if necessary.

Thanks for any advice!
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Coiner.de

Activity: 773
Merit: 531

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 06:56:34 AM

If there is more than one address in a wallet, MultiBit will send change to the second address.
Looks like it's made for your purpose.

But don't trust me. Test it.
deepskydiver (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 42

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:52:58 AM
Last edit: February 27, 2014, 02:34:27 AM by deepskydiver

OK - I will, thank you.

My strategy will be to backup a multibit wallet with a single address and always import that and close any other wallet before I import my cold stored addresses. This way I'll have access to any change which goes to the other address in the wallet. As long as multibit doesn't create a new address to hold change that is..
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: