Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:45:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which is the most reliable exchange to trade on?!  (Read 4911 times)
yrtrnc (OP)

Activity: 605
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 01:58:35 AM

With mtgox gone, who in your opinion can be trusted with your precious coins? Bit finex, btce, bit stamp etc.?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CoinsForTech

Activity: 698

5% Bitcoin Discount - All Orders

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 02:23:25 AM

Currently I use bitstamp and BTCMarkets.net (Australian). Both seem to very competent.

Jeronimus

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 02:30:42 AM
Last edit: February 26, 2014, 02:49:21 AM by Jeronimus

I trust none of the exchanges fully. It will be somewhat better when they get audited by trusted people of the bitcoin community (gmaxwell, antonopoulos but certainly many others i unfortunately did not monitor so closely), but no 100% guarantee still.

After watching all the exchanges for some time now, coinbase and btc-e are my favors.

I was in favor for bitstamp for some time over btc-e, until they pulled some strange maneuvers which were similar to what gox pulled. Freezing withdrawals for days/weeks without any public announcement about what is going on, leaving people fearing for their funds hanging.

Shortly after they pulled another two strange maneuvers, like the site being inaccessible for some time when the price was tanking hard, not allowing to sell, and AGAIN inaccessible when it shoot up, not allowing to buy back in.
This is the works of how manipulators do it, faking a ddos attack being responsible for it, and the way gox did it when the price shoot down from 266 to 50 in the major crash, and back up after.

BTC-e even if slowed by ddos at times, always allowed me to buy in or out so far. So i am going with BTC-e knowing very well that even this is not 100% secure, but in a world of blind, the one eyed is king.

With the newest BTC-e statement

Quote from:
Dear BTC-e.com participants,

We are concerned by MtGox shutdown and would like to assure you that:

1. MtGox losses do not affect account balances or the operation of BTC-e in any way.

2. We confirm the Bitcoin system operation and its exciting prospects, and MtGox bankruptcy has not been caused by any underlying technical problems of Bitcoin. Bitcoin international peer-to-peer network and cryptocurrency are independent of actions of a single market participant. Bitcoin protocol continues to function exactly as it should. The cryptocurrency maintains its stability and the network will continue to develop and exist as long as required by its users.

3. At BTC-e we are constantly monitoring Bitcoin accounts and FIAT reserves. At BTC-e we continue to maintain all clients’ assets in full – both Bitcoin and FIAT.

4. BTC-e has no vulnerabilities during client transactions as we use safe and proven transaction protocols. All transaction issues reported by our clients undergo a thorough check.

The safety of client funds and transactions is of ultimate importance for the company, and this is the reason why we have been an industry leader for the last three years.

1. BTC-e is at its peak of financial strength with the record levels of clients and capital adequacy. The company plans to start publishing financial statements, verified by an external audit, on a regular basis.

2. The highest levels of security are already in place at BTC-e, and the company regularly uses external professional advice to further increase the security of our clients.

3. BTC-e is the only exchange to offer a modern trading platform, MetaTrader 4, to its clients, and many other exciting projects and further upgrades are in the pipeline.

The company plans to soon begin to publish publicly available statements certified by external auditors.

i feel a lot more secure now. Again... not 100% secure

p.s : It's best to buy coins on coinbase if you are from the US and use them on btc-e to trade, then cash out via coinbase again. The reason for that is that coinbase fully complies with US laws, while btc-e might not.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 03:09:29 AM

With mtgox gone, who in your opinion can be trusted with your precious coins? Bit finex, btce, bit stamp etc.?

I am using: Vircurex, Bitcurex and Bter

I never had any problems with them and prices are ok.

Withdraws in a minute and deposits after 4 confirmations (Vircurex)

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:38:00 AM

My criteria, in the order of importance:

1. Published cold/hot storage addresses (none AFAIK)
2. Company address, owners' names ( some )
3. Time in business
4. Liquidity
5. Site performance and user experience
hurricandave
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:48:58 AM

I have been considering Coinbase as a merchant, to possibly accept Bitcoin for Labor on car and motorcycle repair. The biggest thing holding me back right now is the volatility of exchange rate. I'm not sure how fast I can secure the going rate versus when I initiate the transaction.
DeadwoodDan

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 05:02:22 AM

and in two months you'll be whining how one of those three took all your coins

● pre-ICO ANYCOINS ●                   
A tool for raising the value of any crypto currency
● [WHITEPAPER] [FAQ] [BITCOINTALK] [BOUNTY] [GITHUB] [TELEGRAM] [TWITTER] [FACEBOOK] ●
grifferz

Activity: 154

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 05:11:13 AM

I also hear Karaken is good but they are owned by a US corporation yet they only serve EU. This is a big red flag for me since the US has secret laws and everything else that comes with fascism run amok.
Kraken's statement on the suspension of USD was that they're not happy with their US banking partner and don't want to throttle withdrawals because of it. They said they are happy with their EUR bank, which is no surprise since it is Fidor who already deal with some other bitcoin exchanges.

To me this is a believable statement since it's better for the customer if they don't trade in USD until they can do it smoothly. Throttling withdrawals would certainly cause some degree of panic in the current climate.
DeadwoodDan

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 05:15:29 AM

All centralized exchanges will fold when the local authorities put pressure on them.  Also, most of them so far have been run by incompetents and/or criminals, and this trend is likely to continue.  Don't leave money on a bitcoin exchange, lol!

● pre-ICO ANYCOINS ●                   
A tool for raising the value of any crypto currency
● [WHITEPAPER] [FAQ] [BITCOINTALK] [BOUNTY] [GITHUB] [TELEGRAM] [TWITTER] [FACEBOOK] ●
Technologov

Activity: 203

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 06:01:27 AM

Bitstamp looks more credible, but even there I won't keep big money.
Totscha

Activity: 1276
Merit: 622

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 08:36:45 AM

Bitstamp and Kraken.

I might be biased because they both have fast & cheap SEPA EUR deposits/witdrawals.

Kraken is a bit faster & cheaper, also the trading fees are lower. So it's my primary choice. The trading volume is still not for big players (ironicaly it's not going to go up without them). But for us mortals that trade with a few 1.000 € worth of BTC/LTC it's an excellent exchange. They also have DOGE Cheesy

You should give them a try.

That being said, treat any exchange as if it could be gone tomorrow!
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 03:49:13 PM

BTC-e.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
yrtrnc (OP)

Activity: 605

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:07:49 PM

Id say the top 3 exchanges are bitfinex, stamp and btc-e! Do you guys have any info on these exchanges? Owners? physical whereabouts? History?
dynodog

Activity: 97

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:59:28 PM

That's what so ridiculous about the exchanges.  Many are saying how dumb people could be to buy and or leave bitcoin on gox.  So...

MR. JOHN W PUBLIC:  ok, i got burned on mtgox, where should i go now?

BITCOINERS:  try btce.

PUBLIC:  ok, who are they?

BITCOINERS:   a couple of dudes from russia.

PUBLIC:  ok, sounds fishy.  who are they?

BITCOINERS:  we don't know who these russian guys are; literally they are anonymous, but you can send them money to buy bitcoins and not worry about it.

PUBLIC:  ok, any other exchanges you can recommend?

BITCOINERS:  yeah, bitstamp.

PUBLIC:  ok, where are they located?

BITCOINERS:  Slovenia. 

PUBLIC:  Where the fuck is Slovenia?
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:28:39 PM

Bitstamp is holding BTC funds under false allegations. ( just like Gox )
BTC-e have anonymous owners(reddest flag ever).

All other exchanges just don't have enough volume or history to evaluate.

Answer: none is realiable.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 03:15:23 AM

and in two months you'll be whining how one of those three took all your coins

not really. They changed withdraw systems after all of those DDoS.
And during attacks they did not suffer any lags for even a while ;P

I do not keep there a lot of coins anyway. But for now I did better thing when sing up to those then if I would did signup to MtGox Tongue isn't (or BitStamp) ?
Smiley

hostmaster

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2014, 03:16:48 AM

i like btc-e forever btc-e.com
bananas

Activity: 364
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 03:44:26 AM

i like btc-e forever btc-e.com

Do you movement considerable amount of fiat?
theshazbot

Activity: 54

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 05:31:24 AM

Probably Mt. Gox
Bitnicity

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 01, 2014, 06:45:57 AM

The biggest lesson from Gox saga is that you can't trust any exchange in their current forms. If Gox can go this wrong( with Mark a high profile public figure, Bitcoin Foundation Memeber, registered in developed market), you basicly can't trust any other (btc-e, bitstamp, coinbase);  Just keep the minimum you need for trading and store the rest offline.

All bitcoiners, withdraw all your coins from the exchanges/online wallet and keep in your own wallets (except those who need to maintain certain amount for day trading or expense), keeping coins in exchanges will only lend them more incentives to gox all your coins to the air.

All BTC exchanges/online wallet, structurally are operating a fractional reserve scheme, but without a proper protection that you could expect from a bank (which is also fractional reserve model).  

Until the industry is ready to build a distributed or reserve verifiable exchange, don't keep more coins than necessary in an exchange.

The more coins you keep in an exchange, the more likely you are aiding the emerge of the next Gox and feeding evils in the ecosystem; For bitcoin's sake, keep all your coins in your own offline wallet.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: