Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:29:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Guide to 99% Fault Tolerant Consensus by Vitalik Buterin  (Read 304 times)
Gyrsur (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2018, 12:28:28 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2018, 01:48:19 AM by Gyrsur

Vitalik Buterin describe in a post a way up to 99 percent fault tolerance in consensus of distributed systems.

https://vitalik.ca/general/2018/08/07/99_fault_tolerant.html

Satoshi Nakamoto and Leslie Lamport both also described a solution to it.

interesting is that Vitalik just refer on Leslie not on Satoshi. Is he ignoring Satoshi to be able to sell the idea as his own? but why then the reference to Leslie? is he not aware of the post of Satoshi in the forum? hard to imagine, right?

what does he know what we not know? or the better question is what is his assumption about Leslie Lamport versus Satoshi Nakamoto?

the article which has led me to the questions above --> https://www.trustnodes.com/2018/08/10/vitalik-buterin-proposes-consensus-algorithm-requires-1-honest

fun fact: Leslie is working for Microsoft since 2001. do you remember on which platform the first versions of the BitCoin client were developed?

fun fact: the official working address of Leslie is in Mountain View, CA, U.S.A. the only IP from Satoshi without TOR on 2009-01-10 (Saturday) was from Van Nuys, CA, U.S.A. --> https://whoissatoshi.wordpress.com/2016/02/20/satoshi-in-california/

"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2018, 01:56:02 AM
Merited by Welsh (2)

I think you're reading too much into it. Leslie's paper was published in the 1980s and the way Vitalik refers to it emphasizes that the algorithm has been known for a long time so it makes sense that he would reference 38-year-old research vs a forum post from 8 years ago.

Having said that, I appreciate the new conspiracy theory Smiley

Gyrsur (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2018, 02:14:00 AM
Last edit: August 13, 2018, 10:34:32 AM by Gyrsur
Merited by qwk (1)

I think you're reading too much into it. Leslie's paper was published in the 1980s and the way Vitalik refers to it emphasizes that the algorithm has been known for a long time so it makes sense that he would reference 38-year-old research vs a forum post from 8 years ago.

let me be more detailed in explaining my thoughts.

after trustnodes.com article mentioned Vitalik as the inventor of the 99% fault tolerant consensus he emended it on Twitter.

I did NOT invent 99% fault tolerant consensus; Leslie Lamport did [and Satoshi Nakamoto too but both are the same person]. I just wrote an explainer and adapted it to a blockchain context [which already did Satoshi Nakamoto but as I be sure both are the same person]. Please fix, Trustnodes.
*text in bold was added to the original.

in other words: it might be Vitalik Buterin is sure Leslie Lamport and Satoshi Nakamoto are the same person because a reference to Satoshi Nakamoto in this topic (99 percent fault tolerance in consensus) is completely missing.

I both trust Vitalik is:

a) familiar with most of the publications of Leslie Lamport because every serious computer scientist should be familiar with it and
b) Vitalik don't want the fame which doesn't belong to him and in the blockchain context Satoshi Nakamoto mentioned the solution first.

why should he completely ignore the reference to Satoshi? because he is not aware of Satoshi already mentioned it in the forum where Vitalik was also heavily around?

no, the only explanation to me is at the time of his writing in his mind the reference to Satoshi was already made if he mentioned the reference to Leslie.

please also remember as Vitalik debunked Craig Steven Wright claiming to be the real Satoshi? GENIUS! and maybe he had already an assumption who Satoshi could be or shortly after --> https://youtu.be/2qLI3VIHuKU?t=1m2s

Vitalik is constantly fighting Craig Steven Wright and calls him in public a fraud. why would you lose energy on that again and again and with the fear of being sued by CSW? just in the case you know who the real Satoshi Nakamoto is.

TheArchaeologist

Activity: 310
Merit: 727

---------> 1231006505

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2018, 12:44:24 PM

Interesting read. But I can imagine Vitalik linked to Leslie Lamport because he was the author of "the Byzantine Generals' Problem, an agreement problem" which was published and 1982 and he was the first person who came up with a solution.

Sooner or later you're going to realize, just as I did, that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path
aliashraf
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1174

Always remember the cause!

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2018, 12:49:26 PM

I both trust Vitalik is:

a) familiar with most of the publications of Leslie Lamport because every serious computer scientist should be familiar with it
False. This kid is not a computer scientist, He just desperately wants to be one.

b) Vitalik don't want the fame which doesn't belong to him and in the blockchain context Satoshi Nakamoto mentioned the solution first.
Double False: 1- He does anything for the fame, Including and not limited to pretending to be more genius than Satoshi. 2- He is not aware of Satoshi's post.

why should he completely ignore the reference to Satoshi? because he is not aware of Satoshi already mentioned it in the forum where Vitalik was also heavily around?
Or may be he was just 14 when Satoshi submitted that post?

please also remember as Vitalik debunked Craig Steven Wright claiming to be the real Satoshi? GENIUS! and maybe he had already an assumption who Satoshi could be or shortly after --> https://youtu.be/2qLI3VIHuKU?t=1m2s

Vitalik is constantly fighting Craig Steven Wright and calls him in public a fraud. why would you lose energy on that again and again and with the fear of being sued by CSW? just in the case you know who the real Satoshi Nakamoto is.
Or may be he just doesn't want another "genius" around even a fake one or specially a fake one.

Back to his foolish blockchain version of Lamport's work, Vitalik Buterin is obviously dreaming of his org as one of the few centers of trust in crypto ecosystem, exactly the same agenda as Wright, both with fake genuity claims as part of their PR campaign.

spartacusrex

Activity: 718
Merit: 545

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 07:08:52 PM

Every round a set of random validators  consecutively sign their current world-view (the-longest-chain) and broadcast in a latency critical environment, so when other validators receive the message really matters.

If 5% of validators are honest, there is only a roughly 1 in 1 trillion chance that none of the 512 randomly selected nodes will be honest, and so as long as the network latency plus clock disparity is less than D/2 the above algorithm will work, correctly coordinating nodes on some single finalized value, even if multiple conflicting finalized values are presented because the fault tolerance of the threshold-dependent algorithm is broken.

So even if there is a 51% attack on Bitcoin, and there is a valid competing / superior POW chain, the set of validators won't finalize that chain, and keep saying that the original chain is valid. Users stick to that chain.

Is that correct ?

Because if so, it's pretty cool.

Life is Code.
Gyrsur (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2018, 07:46:57 PM

I both trust Vitalik is:

a) familiar with most of the publications of Leslie Lamport because every serious computer scientist should be familiar with it
False. This kid is not a computer scientist, He just desperately wants to be one.

Double False: 1- He does anything for the fame, Including and not limited to pretending to be more genius than Satoshi. 2- He is not aware of Satoshi's post.

Or may be he was just 14 when Satoshi submitted that post?

Or may be he just doesn't want another "genius" around even a fake one or specially a fake one.

Back to his foolish blockchain version of Lamport's work, Vitalik Buterin is obviously dreaming of his org as one of the few centers of trust in crypto ecosystem, exactly the same agenda as Wright, both with fake genuity claims as part of their PR campaign.

I highly doubt a person with Asperger syndrome like Vitalik Buterin acts like the person you describe above with your accusations.

watch this video of him and maybe you will understand he is different like every other person with AS.

We Met The Founder Of Ethereum, VICE on HBO, Season 6 (Bonus Scene)

Vitalik registered a bitcointalk.org account in March 2011 and the post of Satoshi was in July 2010. we can be sure that Vitalik absorbed every single detail if he learned about BitCoin at this time also the old and not so many post from Satoshi.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: