Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 11:20:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Letter to Mark Karpeles: Voluntary Reorganization is the Best Option for Us  (Read 4416 times)
jatajuta (OP)

Activity: 365
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:34:37 AM

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1yyrvf/open_letter_to_mark_karpeles_voluntary/

Dear Mr. Mark Karpeles,

We are your investors. We are writing you this letter to inform you that we forgive you for the unfortunate demise of Mt Gox and we do not want to see you go to jail. We are also writing you to inform you that we have a proposal to save Mt. Gox and provide the Bitcoin community with what it truly needs: an exchange that has the trust of the entire community. This can be accomplished through a voluntary reorganization of Mt. Gox resulting in your depositors being granted shares in the new exchange.

The ideas behind Bitcoin are bigger than our personal stake and the numbers in our accounts. These ideas are bigger than the 750,000 Bitcoins that may or may not have been stolen from Mt. Gox and are bigger than Mt. Gox itself. The world is watching Bitcoin right now and waiting to see how we handle this. There are those who would love to see us panic and devolve into an angry mob stricken with personal greed and out get every last coin possible. But we are better than that. We know you are, too. This is why we are taking the first step and forgiving you for the mistakes that resulted in the current losses we all face, provided you agree to do what is necessary to make us whole. At present, the first step is to discuss the voluntary reorganization of Mt. Gox taking us on as shareholders. We are putting the idea of Bitcoin ahead of our personal stake because we believe in it, do not want to harm it, and believe that cooperation represents the best method for recouping our losses. We know you agree.

We have a long term vision of Bitcoin, as we believe you do as well. We are open to many suggestions as to how to resolve this, but at this point we believe the following points embody our best options: (1) shareholders should be offered a stake in the new company on a pro rata basis based on their holdings in Mt. Gox (we can come up with a formula for valuing Bitcoin denominated holdings later); (2) those who wish to leave should be offered a haircut. There are many details to be worked out, but this is the essence of the plan. It is a plan that will benefit your depositors, benefit yourself, benefit Bitcoin and benefit other virtual currencies. Most importantly, it will show the world we can regulate ourselves in the face of great adversity. Our ability to self-govern in this time of crisis will serve as a model for other governments and organizations the world over.

We welcome an open discussion about the possibilities for resolving this in a manner that benefits the Bitcoin community and movement as a whole, and balances those interests with our right to compensation while recognizing that you are human. Please restore our faith in yourself and in Mt. Gox by accepting this invitation to discuss our situation.

On Behalf of any Mt. Gox Depositors in Agreement,
Daniel J. Kelman, Esq.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Oblodo

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:36:50 AM

those who wish to leave should be offered a haircut

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:44:19 AM

I'd be fine with converting my BTCs into shares or withdraw limits etc.  I'd be happy to be involved in the project also.  

Others arent going to want to take a haircut i guess - even though gox is already short on funds.

Legally this can be done despite gox facing issues, pokerstars bought out fulltilt when it faced legal issues + fulltilt had zero funds.
jatajuta (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:01:21 AM

It seems viable to me.

Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:03:54 AM

We are writing you this letter to inform you that we forgive you for the unfortunate demise of Mt Gox and we do not want to see you go to jail.

I don't think this sentence applies to many people who lost funds to the gross incompetence and potentially fraudulent behavior of Mark Karpeles and co.
ShroomsKit_Disgrace
Legendary

Activity: 952

Yeah! I hate ShroomsKit!

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:08:14 AM

Who is Daniel J. Kelman?
zetaray

Activity: 658

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:08:44 AM

That is all very good for debtors, but what's in it for Karpeles? There is not much incentives for him to carry on, the best for HIM is still to take his money and leave, isn't it?

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
jatajuta (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:42:53 AM

the best for HIM is still to take his money and leave, isn't it?

He have a wife, kid and a cat.

He have much to lose if he just runs. Japanese authorities are in the matter, he would face years of lawsuits and verbal abuse from angry customers, possible jail time if fraud is proven, there is a lot for him to gain by accepting a debt for equity swap, not financially, but at least he could move on with his life not fearing what could happen to his beloved ones.

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 11:48:33 AM

As long as Mark Karpeles is the CEO, there is no future for Gox.
So, why ask him to come back and repeat history once again in 2 years' time?
Just let the auditors go in and see how much money is left inside first.

jatajuta (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:14:59 PM

As long as Mark Karpeles is the CEO, there is no future for Gox.
So, why ask him to come back and repeat history once again in 2 years' time?
Just let the auditors go in and see how much money is left inside first.

You are right, I think this is only an option if he steps down and leave everything. It would be a honourable thing to do, but until now history has proven that the CEO never take the financial hit.

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:23:20 PM

its obviously realistic he has to get something from the deal no?
jatajuta (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:34:24 PM

If he really loses 750k btc he have no right to benefit from this deal, he should step away and leave the company so the new managment try to clean up the balance sheets.

WHat is in for him is not financial, it is peace. I think it worth a lot more that millions of dollars and the fear of murder at every corner.

T.Stuart

Activity: 644

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:41:49 PM

If he really loses 750k btc he have no right to benefit from this deal, he should step away and leave the company so the new managment try to clean up the balance sheets.

WHat is in for him is not financial, it is peace. I think it worth a lot more that millions of dollars and the fear of murder at every corner.

He also has a stash somewhere of course. I don't think the 700k but let's just say a very healthy retirement fund that he has been carefully building just like every other Bitcoiner tries to do.

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
jatajuta (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:44:52 PM

He also has a stash somewhere of course. I don't think the 700k but let's just say a very healthy retirement fund that he has been carefully building just like every other Bitcoiner tries to do.

He states on that irc talk that every btc he have is on gox.

http://www.wickedfire.com/shooting-shit/179038-my-conversation-mark-karpeles-mtgox-2.html#post2164682

T.Stuart

Activity: 644

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:58:31 PM

He states on that irc talk that every btc he have is on gox.

http://www.wickedfire.com/shooting-shit/179038-my-conversation-mark-karpeles-mtgox-2.html#post2164682

It's a bit of a mute point to carry on but of course he has some somewhere. If you had been involved in Bitcoin for all that time, running the biggest exchange, making the most BTC, would you never have taken some off the exchange?

He is having trouble admitting clearly that everything is gone although it's clear that's what he is going to have to say. Of course he is not going to say "Some of my BTC is on Gox, and some is in my personal cold storage".

Anyway as I said its not such an important point (to me anyway). Whatever he says I'm sure he has something somewhere for himself. The big question is where is the Gox balance?

███████████████▄▄▄                     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄                     ▄█████▀
████████████████████▄                ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄                 ▄█████▀
              ▀▀█████▄             ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
                 █████▌          ▄█████▀ ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄         ▄█████▀
                 ▐█████        ▄█████▀     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▄█████▀
                 █████▌      ▄█████▀         ▀█████▄     ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀
              ▄▄█████▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████████▀
████████████████████▀    ▄█████▀     ▄█████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█████▀
███████████████▀▀▀     ▄█████▀     ▄█████████▄     ▀█████▄     ▀█▀
                                    ▀███████▀
                                      ▀███▀
                                        ▀
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
.◆ ◆ ◆ ONE TOKEN TO MOVE ANYTHING ANYWHERE ◆ ◆ ◆.
▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
Bitnicity

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 01:09:44 PM

I would like to see Mark go to jail then we discuss about reorg. He just can't go away without punishment, i don't believe he is innocent.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 02:12:16 PM

if you wanna support this project chatroom:

irc channel ##mtgox-statement
ft73

Activity: 564
Merit: 508

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 02:15:35 PM

I would like to see Mark go to jail then we discuss about reorg. He just can't go away without punishment, i don't believe he is innocent.

This would be a good start.
joehal

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 03:39:51 PM

This would be great ! I hope it goes through. It would be a great example to the whole world. Bitcoin would truly be on every newspaper.
hgamezoom

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 03:51:40 PM

Whatever plan you have now, First you need to find Mark and let him listen to you, which seems to be quite difficult.

He denied to tell the public what is happpening and what he is going to do, that is the worst thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: