Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:55:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alright, I need to ace the SAT.  (Read 2214 times)
Anonymous

March 24, 2011, 12:52:16 PM

I finally found a college I wouldn't mind having my parent's waste money on.

http://www.shimer.edu/

However, in order for me to get started with them this Fall, I need to get within the top quartile of scores for the SAT. What's the best way to study for this mother hubbard?

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 01:06:57 PM

If you read a lot you should do alright on the english parts.

Math, just practice stuff you don't know, there are plenty of guides.

I didn't study at all (and only got a few hours of sleep the night before, unfortunately) and still got a 2010 - it's really a lot easier than most people think.

So my advice is to not stress out about it, I've seen people crash and burn because they were worried about their scores.
AllYourBase

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 01:16:53 PM

I could never get the word associations on the verbal section.  Whore is to marshmallow peeps as your mom is to (candlesticks | the third reich | dungeons | 42)Huh   

As for the math section, it seems mostly a bunch of tricks, so just pick up one of the study guides (I liked the princeton review's cracking the SAT), and learn the tricks they teach in the study section inside out and you'll ace it. 
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 06:46:25 PM

parent's waste money on.

Might be a good idea to study apostrophe usage...  Wink

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Anonymous

March 24, 2011, 06:54:39 PM

parent's waste money on.

Bleh, I am not as careless where it matters.
nphard

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 08:39:06 PM

I aced the math part.  If there are any specific problems, or types of problems, you get stuck on please post them here and I will do my best to explain them and describe a good approach.

I would recommend focusing more on math.  It's easier to study for because the category is more limited.  There are far fewer math concepts than word definitions you are expected to know.
FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 24, 2011, 08:49:37 PM

parent's waste money on.

Bleh, I am not as careless where it matters.

I used to think the same thing, but the older I get, the more I see these little mistakes creeping into things that do matter.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
The Script

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 07:48:58 AM

When I was your age.....the maximum score on the SAT was only 1600.  Now I feel old, thanks.

I agree with those who say to study the math.  It's nothing too complicated, just a little tricky at times.  From what I've read of your posts you seem to have a fairly good grasp of English, though, if you have the time, it's not a bad idea to study some word definitions or practice passage reading (do they still have that section?). 

The passage readings were the hardest for me, because there would be a long story about something and then they would ask you questions about it:

John is a single college student who passed his friend in the cafeteria. 
"Hey, Peter."
"Hey, John."
"What did you think of that Calc test?"
"Not too bad I just had problems with the 2nd problem."
blah blah blah

1) What was the mood  of the previous passage.
    a) Sexual
    b) Somber
    c) Sensual
    d) Sarcastic
    e) All of the above

Me: WTF?!?
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2011, 08:07:37 AM

When I was your age.....the maximum score on the SAT was only 1600.  Now I feel old, thanks.
lol, that's exactly what I was thinking!

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 10:06:24 AM

I agree with those who say to study the math.  It's nothing too complicated, just a little tricky at times.  From what I've read of your posts you seem to have a fairly good grasp of English, though, if you have the time, it's not a bad idea to study some word definitions or practice passage reading (do they still have that section?). 

The passage readings were the hardest for me, because there would be a long story about something and then they would ask you questions about it:

"Hey, Peter."
"Hey, John."
blah blah blah

a) Sexual
    b) Somber
    c) Sensual
    d) Sarcastic
    e) All of the above

A, B and D. If they touched each other, it would have been C (therefore E) as well.
The Script

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 07:32:13 PM

"Hey, Peter."
"Hey, John."
blah blah blah

a) Sexual
    b) Somber
    c) Sensual
    d) Sarcastic
    e) All of the above

A, B and D. If they touched each other, it would have been C (therefore E) as well.
Grin
The Script

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 07:34:06 PM

lol, that's exactly what I was thinking!

Sometimes I get the feeling that the average age on this forum is really low.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 30, 2011, 07:40:29 PM

2010 is to 2400 as 1340 is to 1600

(except that's not really true because the extra 800 points is now based on the ability to write an essay about Jersey Shore)

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Distribution

Activity: 711
Merit: 500

Fight fire with photos.

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 01:05:47 AM

One of the best ways to get a good score is to take it twice. And take the ACT. When I did this, I got a much more acceptable score on the ACT. Also, I've talked to many people who think "I read a lot, I'll do much better on the English section," who generally end up doing just as well on both (including myself on the SAT).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: