Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:10:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: robbed using metamaske wallet  (Read 187 times)
yanoaziz (OP)

Activity: 537
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 05:56:46 PM

i lose my ethereum in my metamask wallet i know that my pv key and seed was in a safe place, but how can scammer do that; the first thing that i think was the way is the signin msg of metamask in a exchage.
any idea friends

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 09:13:58 PM
Merited by yanoaziz (1)

Sorry to hear about this. Could it be that you've been targeted by a phishing attack?

Metamask is known to be vulnerable to phishing in case your computer has been compromised. Were there any other tabs opened in your browser? For example, a phishing may occur when other tabs are active during the transaction that you are trying to make. The attacker may use a tab to get access to your ETH address. With this knowledge, the attacker can retrieve the entire transaction you are currently making (this is a public record on the blockchain), and use this information against the you in various phishing schemes. 

Did you notice any pop-ups, failed transaction notifications, or similar out of the ordinary events?
yanoaziz (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 10:40:27 PM

Sorry to hear about this. Could it be that you've been targeted by a phishing attack?

Metamask is known to be vulnerable to phishing in case your computer has been compromised. Were there any other tabs opened in your browser? For example, a phishing may occur when other tabs are active during the transaction that you are trying to make. The attacker may use a tab to get access to your ETH address. With this knowledge, the attacker can retrieve the entire transaction you are currently making (this is a public record on the blockchain), and use this information against the you in various phishing schemes. 

Did you notice any pop-ups, failed transaction notifications, or similar out of the ordinary events?

1st thanks for your answer.
i think that i was opening a scam website maybe my metamask was open but i didnt make any transaction .
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 10:49:10 PM

1st thanks for your answer.
i think that i was opening a scam website maybe my metamask was open but i didnt make any transaction .
Usually, meta-mask doesn't let you visit websites that are unsafe for your wallet. Do you remember avoiding such warnings? You don't have to make any transaction your private keys are compromised. Can you give us your ETH address to see where the coins go? Also, how many ETH are we talking about here?

If possible, keep a back-up of your browser history of the day and day before the hack happened.
FlamingFingers

Activity: 1330
Merit: 288

View Profile
August 13, 2018, 11:06:48 PM

I think I have the same issue? I haven't used MetaMask for two months, however, I had all of my Private Keys and Seeds stored in a safe place (I used at least 5 wallets). I logged in 2 days ago, updated the add–on, and retrieved my Ethereum wallet using my Private Key and Address, but the balance was absolutely zero. I couldn't care less since I only had around 0.002ETH in that wallet. The problem is, I am not sure whether the wallet I retrieved is the one I was using back then or not.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
yanoaziz (OP)

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 01:00:34 PM

Usually, meta-mask doesn't let you visit websites that are unsafe for your wallet. Do you remember avoiding such warnings? You don't have to make any transaction your private keys are compromised. Can you give us your ETH address to see where the coins go? Also, how many ETH are we talking about here?

If possible, keep a back-up of your browser history of the day and day before the hack happened.
not so much but if i cant find how scammer robbed me i will lose more thats why im asking here.
about the address this is my https://etherscan.io/address/0xea11ebbdbfb6690237f0694bbd8ea85a56a55f74
scammer https://etherscan.io/address/0x256cb901ab2f33ac53155cbececeddd4da7d1af2
i think he rodded 2 good token from one other victim
atmanagari

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 01:53:44 PM

can I ask, sir ?
Let's say, if there are many data and caches stored on my browser,
and I don't open any tab, can the phisher (scammer) steal these data/caches ?
thanks before
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 10:32:20 PM
Merited by yanoaziz (1)

can I ask, sir ?
Let's say, if there are many data and caches stored on my browser,
and I don't open any tab, can the phisher (scammer) steal these data/caches ?
thanks before
Caching works in the following ways
1. Browser Level caching - Different browsers cache data on different websites to provide repeatedly asked content without downloading it again from the server.
2. Cookies - Injected by the developers on their websites to track either user-activities or keep a check on re-visiting users.

The data available in the cookies is accessible for the developers who implemented them. Browser level caching resides in your browser's localStorage/indexdb.

To answer your question: It all depends on what type of data is cached in your browser/cookies! This type of data usually includes recently requested images/form data/other text. A scammer wouldn't access sensitive data such as your private keys from the wallet using caches. It's a safe practice to clear caches every two weeks for so as that also makes your browser a bit faster. If you're using chrome, CTRL +SHIFT+ R does clear basic website level caches.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: