Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:10:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Media : Bitcoin is Done  (Read 4785 times)
johnj

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 05:49:58 PM

"Why turn my X into Y, when Y is going down so hard?".
Because it's the only way to donate to wikileaks and occupy wall street. Paypal happily blocked the donations to them.

Great point - and I think that's where the blockchain shines.  Once this ability 'sets in' with people, it'll be interesting to see how the world reacts.

You (genral 'you') gotta admit, the whole thing was kinda hard to wrap your head around at first. And the more you learned, the more that set in on how unique the blockchain is.  That takes time.  The OWS thing is huge as far as displaying the utility of Bitcoin.  It just needs it's own vendors who trade and refill stock IN bitcoin.  Dang,once that happens... watch out.  But will Bitcoin get there.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JackH

Activity: 381
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 05:50:20 PM

Wow! If Forbes or Wired is saying it then it must be true. Wait a minute......what exactly does Forbes or Wired has to do with Bitcoin?

And last time I checked Bitcoin is more than twice as valuable as the dollar. Beside that, its decentralized, so how exactly can it die if there is no central authority that can crush or become insolvent? People get it in your heads, you cannot place the same terms on Bitcoin as you can with fiat money. This is something new, now please find other ways to describe it rather than stating its dead which is impossible unless all clients are uninstalled.

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<helo> oh, you don't like a 20x increase? well how about 8192x increase?
<JackH> lmao
allten

Activity: 455
Merit: 250

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2011, 05:50:53 PM

More news that equates Bitcoin's success with its price.
That's misleading.

For a currency that is peer to peer and that is grass root sponsored, I would have to say that it is doing EXTREMELY well.
The sooner this crash finishes and we can reach prices that are sustainable the better.

It goes to show (in my opinion), that the number one weakness of any currency of this nature is big money causing a pump and dump type scenario. We've been pumped and we've been dumped! And the media has helped out big time by giving us a lot of positive coverage on the upside and a lot of negative coverage on the down side. The best we can do is learn from this experience and profit on the next wave (upside and downside) if it happens (second generation of early adopters) which will help such a scenario not to be as severe.

The media will never get behind this in a long term positive way. They have an agenda.
Government, banks, and BIG media are all one big happy marriage and it wants nothing to do with our project of freedom.
Shawshank
Legendary

Activity: 1623
Merit: 1608

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 06:01:16 PM

Bitcoin adjusts itself nicely via difficulty. It creates its own stability. The BTC exchange rate has been falling heavily lately, but the current exchange rate is higher than it was 6 months ago. For goodness's sake, the Bitcoin network has been up and running since 2009 when the BTC to dollar exchange rate was at a few cents and it was business as usual.

Just bring high inflation to the US or Europe and Bitcoin will be back as a safe haven against Quantitative Easing. Just bring political instability, bank runs and "corralitos", and Bitcoin will be treated as it deserves to be treated, a scarce commodity with unbeatable international value transfer capabilities.

Lightning Address: shawshank@getalby.com
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2011, 06:02:03 PM

Hey, if Bank of America can go from $54 to $3 and still not be done, why can't Bitcoin?
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 06:02:32 PM

And last time I checked Bitcoin is more than twice as valuable as the dollar.

Oh, sure, 1BTC is currently worth $2.5.  Of course, that's no comfort at all the vast majority of people who initially bought bitcoins after May.  In that case they have less value now than they spent.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
fivebells

Activity: 462

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 06:06:39 PM

Actually, it is. Those of us involved in the projects are aware of this.
Where can I find out about this?  Haven't seen anything really earth-shattering in the bitcoin development mailing list...
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 06:35:12 PM

Where can I find out about this?  Haven't seen anything really earth-shattering in the bitcoin development mailing list...

Those involved int he development mailing list are primarily working on the core protocol and client. There are myriad groups building various projects, some private and some public. The best ones are generally private, as the profit motive is involved.

The decentralized nature of Bitcoin means that it's a bit difficult for any person or group to get a full picture of everything going on. I pay quite a bit of attention, but only know a fraction of the people working on the big projects, and only still in English. I have no idea what's going on in other languages. Hundreds (thousands?) of entrepreneurs are building right now, they'll be getting rich with their creations, not with the speculation on current spot price of a Bitcoin.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 07:14:56 PM

I predict that a year from now there will be new articles about bitcoin's death. I mean, how long ago did god die? and you still hear about her all the time.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 07:16:49 PM

Those involved int he development mailing list are primarily working on the core protocol and client. There are myriad groups building various projects, some private and some public. The best ones are generally private, as the profit motive is involved.

The decentralized nature of Bitcoin means that it's a bit difficult for any person or group to get a full picture of everything going on. I pay quite a bit of attention, but only know a fraction of the people working on the big projects, and only still in English. I have no idea what's going on in other languages. Hundreds (thousands?) of entrepreneurs are building right now, they'll be getting rich with their creations, not with the speculation on current spot price of a Bitcoin.

Sounds lovely, but ironically your whole post is telling us to speculate if anything.

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 07:18:00 PM

If people uninstall the client then it's done.

There's hardly a reason to uninstall it, bitterness is one.

For those who do uninstall it, they can still re-install it. Its not like bulldozing a bank, software is cool that way.

Bitcoin can't go away. Its impossible even if 75% of the user base uninstalled their clients.

I cashed out of mine-and-hold long ago because I recognized that bitcoin was overvalued and underutilized. But that's not a permanent thing. to me, bitcoin had little chance to grow when it was 5-20$ per coin. Now that it has settled down, i think its use is going to pick up due to new users who see the tremendous potential. Online poker is one way that could happen. I've personally made a bitcoin transaction in order to fund a merge network poker site just a few days ago. I believe Bitcoin will be back in a big way with online transactions. The price might stay flat for a long time, but price is not the point of bitcoin. Profiting in bitcoin is a bonus and has nothing to do with its usefulness.

doobadoo

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 07:18:31 PM

Bitcoin is P2P.  It can't die.  It can drop in value, but unlike a company or central authority it can't go away.  I don't think they understand this.

They understand right well...  Its propaganda.  They're trying to drive a nail into the coffin.  Only problem, coffin is empty!

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2011, 07:21:48 PM

Bitcoin value crashes below cost of production as broader use stutters

Not for everyone...

mining difficulty going down is a wonderful thing

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 07:22:16 PM

Bitcoin is P2P.  It can't die.  It can drop in value, but unlike a company or central authority it can't go away.  I don't think they understand this.

They understand right well...  Its propaganda.  They're trying to drive a nail into the coffin.  Only problem, coffin is empty!

julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 07:35:05 PM

I've noticed the journalism around bitcoin often seems pretty incestuous that way.
It looks like in this slew of articles, it might have been Adrianne Jeffries' little snippet in Betabeat that set the tone;
the reddit user's quote she used has ended up in a few articles.

Why some random redditors quote is newsworthy I don't know.  

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
JeffK

Activity: 350

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 07:40:05 PM

How will they get rich if everyone is ditching Bitcoin like it's diseased?
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2011, 07:55:17 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2011, 08:23:43 PM by Rassah

How will they get rich if everyone is ditching Bitcoin like it's diseased?

Same way Bank of America managemet got rich after BoA stock went from $54 to 3$ (WORSE drop than Bitcoin)
nighteyes

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 08:12:50 PM

Hey, if Bank of America can go from $54 to $3 and still not be done, why can't Bitcoin?

Because the entire BofA is working to increase profits....so its an unknown whether or not they will survive(I hope not but thats another story). Bitcoin....imagine 90%+ of an organization's employees not working, nor can they be forced to work. If the 10% want to work for the other 90%, then thats fine with the 90%. The 90% have proven(by taking a 99% decline) that they arent going to work. They certainly dont care if bitcoin goes to 1 penny or even zero.

The only thing bitcoiners can do is to fight the hoarders as much as they can. Dont use MtGox and bitcoinica and send a message to the hoarders.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 08:15:15 PM

LOL! Cheesy
nighteyes

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 18, 2011, 08:17:27 PM

Bitcoin can't go away. Its impossible even if 75% of the user base uninstalled their clients.

You have Solidcoin salivating and planning his revenge over and over with the doublespend attack when the network power drops to that level.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: