Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 12:48:40 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: People actually thought bitcoin was dead because of MtGox?  (Read 4807 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2014, 09:11:49 PM

Now, the next spike is in front of us.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Elisha

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:28:37 PM

This is one of the reasons to launch UNITYCOIN, we need to be more serious.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=489255.0

A week or two to take mtgox to respond for her problem, is very bad press for us.
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:41:31 PM

I like to play with dead things...

Most things I eat are dead...

This dead thing is walking all over the place...

Zombies are less active than BTC...

News is dead...

BTC is not alive, it can not die... It is immortally animated...

My cat died...

Mt.Gox killed my cat...

I'm gonna take his cat, since he has my BTC... I'll call it even...
Dafar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

dafar consulting

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 10:25:29 PM

This is one of the reasons to launch UNITYCOIN, we need to be more serious.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=489255.0

A week or two to take mtgox to respond for her problem, is very bad press for us.

Take your alt coin advertisements somewhere else... there are way too many fucking alts, why don't we establish bitcoin first

███████████
███████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████░████░░███████████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░░██████████████
██████████████░░█░░█░█░░█░███████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████████
██████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████
██████████
|
|
|
ninjarobot

Activity: 761

Mine Silent, Mine Deep

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 11:55:49 PM

Collapsed? That certainly is worrisome... No worries we will take a look and see what is wrong.

Please show me on the chart exactly where Bitcoin collapsed:

iluvpie60

Activity: 700

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 12:03:16 AM

I was watching CNN today while getting ready for work and they had a 30 second tidbit on bitcoin... basically saying bitcoin has "collapsed" and users unexpectedly lost money from the shutdown of the most respected exchange. Fucking lol... why is the media so retarded?

I believe I saw a thing that said CNN lost 41% of their total viewers, when comparing total viewers from Feb 2013 to this year Feb 2014.
Skoupi

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Skoupi the Great

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 12:04:04 AM

In their defence, it is actually difficult to explain to the masses the amount of incompetence involved in the Mt.Gox collapse.
It 's just easier to say "the bubble is now burst" and then say it again in a month and the again in two months etc...
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 12:12:40 AM

Collapsed? That certainly is worrisome... No worries we will take a look and see what is wrong.

The noobs mean the retracements on that chart.

These can also be found on the Dow Jones or any other chart; only the growth of the USD money supply does not show any retracements, it goes only up.  Grin Grin Grin

Truth is the new hatespeech.
Klestin

Activity: 493

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:04:53 AM

The articles on this event (and in general about Bitcoin) are, as a whole, wildly inaccurate.  This alone doesn't worry me, because I know the facts.  What worries me is that if they're this wrong about something I have knowledge of, just how accurate can they be trusted to be about other subjects?  Are they just making this shit up as they go about everything they report on?
mgburks77

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:15:36 AM

The articles on this event (and in general about Bitcoin) are, as a whole, wildly inaccurate.  This alone doesn't worry me, because I know the facts.  What worries me is that if they're this wrong about something I have knowledge of, just how accurate can they be trusted to be about other subjects?  Are they just making this shit up as they go about everything they report on?

No, they are having interns google it for them
seftonde

Activity: 19

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:23:00 AM

In light of all this, may I piont out that all cryptos seem to be up signficantly today?  Smiley

d
zemario

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 01:28:12 AM

To reply to the original topic:

People believe all sorts of stupid things.
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:18:51 AM

Most noobs think that it is end of bitcoin. They think mtgox == bitcoin which is not. You can read noobs comments on yahoo news.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:06:49 AM

The truly decentralized currency will be tradeable directly from the wallet with no middleman whatsoever.

How to do that securely? I don't have the technical savvy to have an answer for that.

its very difficult if not imposable to solve the doublespend problem that way

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:15:48 AM

I've been messing around with Bitcoin for a little over a month now.  So many people have called me an idiot for getting involved in it and laugh at the concept.  They are the ones that no nothing about it.  I've explained to a few close friends what it's all about and now they're learning about it as well. 

When gox hit the fan and Bitcoin "collapsed" the phone started ringing and the Facebook messages started to come.  The "I told you so" was in full force with some people saying I had thrown all my money away and everyone lost all their Bitcoins.  The mainstream media coverage of the death of Bitcoin didn't help.

I'm actually surprised that so many people not only think it's dead, but are happy that it's apparently dead.  It's like they enjoy being ripped off by central banking.
CityGuy

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:21:29 AM

https://i.imgur.com/EFaiwRM.png

Funny, I have been trying to get an acquaintance to help out financially with my mining operation. He's a financial advisor for a reputable bank in Southern California and has been a top producer in large county for 17 years. I have been advising him to get involved in anyway possible, even of he doesn't go my route. Yesterday we had lunch and we were talking about various things and Bitcoin came up. I touched on throwing me some capital and he responded, "you obviously haven't been watching T.V this week." I forget sometimes that people are satisfied with reading headline news all the time to get their share of information. Not that it doesn't suffice in some circumstances, but damn you'd assume educated people would do a bit more research to realize that this will be nothing but a blimp in the timeline of Bitcoin's lifespan.

Sometimes it can be frustrating talking with people about Bitcoin. People see EVERY SINGLE con of crypto-currencies, and essentially forget about all the negatives of fiat we have experienced in the recent past.
yashin

Activity: 35

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 05:50:51 AM

the fools who think bitcoin is dead are simply far too ignorant to understand bitcoin itself.
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:06:44 AM

Funny, I have been trying to get an acquaintance to help out financially with my mining operation. He's a financial advisor for a reputable bank in Southern California and has been a top producer in large county for 17 years. I have been advising him to get involved in anyway possible, even of he doesn't go my route. Yesterday we had lunch and we were talking about various things and Bitcoin came up. I touched on throwing me some capital and he responded, "you obviously haven't been watching T.V this week." I forget sometimes that people are satisfied with reading headline news all the time to get their share of information. Not that it doesn't suffice in some circumstances, but damn you'd assume educated people would do a bit more research to realize that this will be nothing but a blimp in the timeline of Bitcoin's lifespan.

Sometimes it can be frustrating talking with people about Bitcoin
. People see EVERY SINGLE con of crypto-currencies, and essentially forget about all the negatives of fiat we have experienced in the recent past.

It really can be, and it's why I stopped trying with some people.  I figure time will prove them wrong, and/or they will take the time to learn about it as I did. People can be so narrow minded when it comes to things they don't understand.  I have to admit, I thought bad about Bitcoin as well when I first heard about it.  At least I was willing to go into learning about it with an open mind.
Laosai

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:08:39 AM

china control the market now

CityGuy

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 06:14:30 AM

https://i.imgur.com/EFaiwRM.png

Sometimes it can be frustrating talking with people about Bitcoin
. People see EVERY SINGLE con of crypto-currencies, and essentially forget about all the negatives of fiat we have experienced in the recent past.

It really can be, and it's why I stopped trying with some people.  I figure time will prove them wrong, and/or they will take the time to learn about it as I did. People can be so narrow minded when it comes to things they don't understand.  I have to admit, I thought bad about Bitcoin as well when I first heard about it.  At least I was willing to go into learning about it with an open mind.

The way I see it, every savvy investor on CNBC bashes Bitcoin and claims they don't support the idea/purpose/potential of crypto's. What I can't wrap my head around is that people in the financial industry that have accumulated great amounts of wealth playing in the stock market, think they can analyze Bitcoin without understanding it. Bitcoin experts can't give credible advice in the real stock market, and experienced financial advisors/brokers can't give advice on Bitcoin. Those two are COMPLETELY SEPARATE. Not that Bloomberg analysts are stupid, they are definitely not. However, their inability to do simple research that may take MAX 3 hours is pretty pathetic and makes them appear that way.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: