Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:07:56 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We should really worry  (Read 1636 times)
troiste

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:25:08 PM

According to this post http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1yzbhg/bitstamps_bank_refused_to_open_me_a_bank_account
Unicredit in Slovenia (the bank Bitstamp uses) and Sillcon Valley Bank (the bank Coinbase uses) are both declining bank accounts to new bitcoin-related firms.

So for new companies in the bitcoin business it will be probably nearly impossible to get banking accounts, if even these banks which already have bitcoin related accounts (coinbase and bitstamp) refuse to open new accounts.

The probability (with the MtGox and the Silkroad scandals in mind) that these Banks are also shutting down the accounts of bitstamp and Coinbase is not low.

Then we would loose even more important exchanges, people with FIAT on these exchanges will not be able to withdraw any more.

People who are exchanging btc locally are also in danger to get imprisoned for money laundering already.

All this would be a very hard hit to bitcoin.

What do you think? I this a realistic scenario? Should we really worry?

Ever heard of localbitcoins.com?
Neuerung (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:33:44 PM

According to this post http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1yzbhg/bitstamps_bank_refused_to_open_me_a_bank_account
Unicredit in Slovenia (the bank Bitstamp uses) and Sillcon Valley Bank (the bank Coinbase uses) are both declining bank accounts to new bitcoin-related firms.

So for new companies in the bitcoin business it will be probably nearly impossible to get banking accounts, if even these banks which already have bitcoin related accounts (coinbase and bitstamp) refuse to open new accounts.

The probability (with the MtGox and the Silkroad scandals in mind) that these Banks are also shutting down the accounts of bitstamp and Coinbase is not low.

Then we would loose even more important exchanges, people with FIAT on these exchanges will not be able to withdraw any more.

People who are exchanging btc locally are also in danger to get imprisoned for money laundering already.

Yes, the guys which got arrested where from localbitcoins.com
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-02-09/miami-bitcoin-arrests-may-be-first-state-case-prosecutor-says
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:34:59 PM

Bank denies BTC... Then wonders why it has no money to loan-out... Why no-one is getting loans... Why no-one is depositing... Dies...

Just like thousands of other banks every year.

Yawn.

New world, New order, New laws, New rulers... Old news.
serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:38:54 PM

Yes, the guys which got arrested where from localbitcoins http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-09/miami-[Suspicious link removed]ests-may-be-first-state-prosecution.html .

Did you read the article? Or only the title?

It clearly says there that he got arrested because he sold BTC to a criminal! And that criminal told him what he wants to do with the BTC he is buying!
That could happen if I come to you and I say "mate please buy my phone because I need money to buy drugs!" You buy it and you get arrested because I'm trafficking drugs and I tell the cops will you lower my sentence if I tell you who gave me the money?

Smiley

Space for rent if its still trending
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 09:39:31 PM

Your logical fallacy is anecdotal
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: