Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:54:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Shouldn't coinmarketcap delist "dead" coins?  (Read 352 times)
bitekoin (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 01:20:45 PM

Aggregator sites like coinmarketcap and livecoinwatch often show trends of greatest gainers/losers of the day/week/month/year. However, coins with almost dead marketcaps are prone to manipulation.

Why don't these sites remove such coins?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeepChipolino

Activity: 658
Merit: 11

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 01:57:22 PM

Some coins they remove with time. What criteria for delisting I do not know. For listing on the CMC should be 50K per day, but after that these are not traded and 10K per day. We can use of manipulation. For example, if we see that the price has increased dramatically in one or several days by 100+%, then we can play in a short if this coin|token on a centralized exchange.

xcbjsuw

Activity: 420
Merit: 11

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 02:11:24 PM

Aggregator sites like coinmarketcap and livecoinwatch often show trends of greatest gainers/losers of the day/week/month/year. However, coins with almost dead marketcaps are prone to manipulation.

Maybe we should report to coinmarketcap !? if the coin is dead.

Some coins they remove with time. What criteria for delisting I do not know. For listing on the CMC should be 50K per day, but after that these are not traded and 10K per day. We can use of manipulation. For example, if we see that the price has increased dramatically in one or several days by 100+%, then we can play in a short if this coin|token on a centralized exchange.

I got this information, for listing at Coinmarketcap which now no longer requires trading volume.
right or not I don't know.
cmarquez

Activity: 81
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 02:20:26 PM

I think there is such a process of delisting coins for coinmarketcap. Coinmarketcap  have been a used by us to check the dailly happenings on cryptocurrency world and most of the decision we make to trade on crypto are solely basis on coinmarketcap signal too.
butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 02:43:31 PM

I got this information, for listing at Coinmarketcap which now no longer requires trading volume.
right or not I don't know.

In their official FAQ, one of the conditions for listing is the following:

- Must have a non-zero trading volume on at least one supported exchange so a price can be determined.

They don't explicitly state what this non-zero trading volume should be.

I also was under the impression that they require a volume of at least $100,000 per day (or $50,000 according to some sources), but it seems that they have removed this criterion:

As of July 16, the site has now removed the minimum volume requirements that it had been using to limit the number of exchanges listed on the site.
Source: https://cointelegraph.com/news/coinmarketcap-rehauls-exchange-listings-in-response-to-controversies-over-skewed-volumes

So basically they say that the volume can be manipulated, so they don't have it as a strict requirement. But, it's hard to believe that they won't internally somehow estimate the volume and still use it as one of the necessary requirement.

I agree that the opposite should be true as well. To delist the coin once it shows signs of inactivity.
ROB18

Activity: 380

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 03:21:52 PM

Well you have a point but as long there is an existing volume going around and transactions as still being done, I don't think that coinmarketcap should delist it. Biggest losers is a place where you can find these data coins being almost at the edge. But still they have the chance to come back ang regain it's value. So delist is not an option I think for legitimate token. But I highly suggest to delist those token which are scams.

███   ████     Bitgesell's first yearly halving is coming in less than a month!     ████   ███
B I T G E S E L L      BUY BGL/USDT NOW AT DIGIFINEX
██               ████████     •     Telegram     •     Twitter     •     ████████               ██
CuriousGeorge

Activity: 1498
Merit: 251

KUWA.ai

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 03:47:01 PM

I think they are not aware about the latest update regarding those dead coins. It will need a lot of time to filter and delist those dead coins. This is why CMC will not do that and i believe that was the main reason.
There were hundreds dead coins and it will increase more and more.

|
|

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
i7claufe

Activity: 378
Merit: 42

AhrvoDEEX FUTURE OF BROKERAGE TRANSACTIONS

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 03:58:32 PM

I noticed did for some time now. I see some dead coins being manipulated during market crisis because Market Cap is not doing something about them and most of newbies just look at coins that are listed on MarketCap then if it was pumped, they feel FOMOd and they would just be cheated and their money would only be stolen by whales. I seriously think they should do something about it.

Midesiz

Activity: 378
Merit: 20

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 04:12:53 PM

It is a good idea that coinmarketcap should delist the dead coins.

bestcomputerpsycho

Activity: 75

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 04:29:52 PM

I don't see any point in removing the coins which you're calling "dead" coins. How'll you know if a coin is dead?
They're listing the coins and it's the responsibility of the investors to find out about the project before investing. It's investors money after all. If they delist them, then some of us will start asking for delisting of scam or fake coins too. But these are vague terms with no real definition, it depends on person to person.

Earlier CoinMarketCap has set a limit of listing only those coins which have $10k worth of trading on daily basis, so many people complained about that and just recently CMC removed that condition. It's not possible to suffice each and every complaint.
Cryptomilz
Copper Member

Activity: 182
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 06:50:57 PM

Seems no one will ever know the criteria for CMC's delisting dead and scam coins.
jossiel

Activity: 2982
Merit: 632

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 02:03:40 AM

I also like the idea of removing those dead coins on the list of coinmarketcap.

I can't see any reason why they have to let it remain on their site for particular reasons. But if a coin is actually dead, why they don't add another tab which is dedicated for the coins that in danger of getting delist.

Signature for rent
yndye

Activity: 616
Merit: 262

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2018, 02:27:52 AM

I agree because this would give us a better point of view of what is the market capitalization of only those active coins. Anyway, if ever they won't delist it then it would just be alright because the most important is bitcoin anyway since it is the benchmark of crypto prices. It has a big influence on where the market goes. The coins that almost has no volume are the coins that are used most often to pump and dump groups because they can easily pump it so as much as possible, avoid those coins.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
▄███████████▀▀███████████████▄
██████████▀▀ ▄▄█▀  █████████████
███████████▄▄█▀  ▄███▀   █████████
█████████████  ▄███▀      ██████████
▄████████████████▀        ███████████▄
██████████████▀          ▄████████████
███████████▀             █████████████
████████▀               ██████████████
████████▄              ███  ██████████
▀██████████████        ██  █▀ ███████▀
███████████████      ██▀ ▄█ ▄███████
██████████████     ███  █  ███████
██████████████   ▄██  █▀ ███████
▀████████████▄ ▄█████████████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

▄████████████████████▄
████████      ████████
██████████████████████
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██                  ██
██████████▀▀██████████
████████▀    ▀████████
████████▄    ▄████████
▀█████████▄▄█████████▀
  Download on the
App Store

GET IT ON
Google Play
  ●  FACEBOOK
●  TWITTER
●  TELEGRAM
[-MaStERNoDeMaN-]

Activity: 45
Merit: 1

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 03:05:31 AM

That's part of the reason why they have been accused of market manipulation numerous times in the past. There's many things they could be doing to improve and make the valuable service they provide more transparent but they have thus far chosen not to and i don't have high hopes for them doing so anytime in the foreseeable future.
tmoney88

Activity: 142

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 03:33:37 AM

Id be ok with removing some of these coins. I guess you could define a dead coin as having no trade volume for a couple days maybe? As we achieve mass world adoption, you will see the big players explode, and a lot of these worthless coins die off.
Elcapsono

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

THE ENERGY EFFICIENCY PROTOCOL

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 05:45:25 AM

It takes time, as far as I can remember, there is a limit of demand and a volume of coins on which this coin is placed on such sites. Most likely while it is they are kept.

▄▄██ █████ █████ █████ █████ ██▄▄
▄████ █████ █████ █████ █████ ████▄
████▀  ▀███ █████ █████ █████ █████
▄▄▄▄    ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄
████    ███ █████ █████ █████ █████
▀▀▀▀    ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀
████    ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀███ █████ █████
████                 ██ █████ █████
▄▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄     ▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄
████    █▀███████    ██ █████ █████
████    █ ███████    ██ █████ █████
▀▀▀▀    █ ▄▄▄ ███    ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀
████    █ ███ ███    ██ █████ █████
████    █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█    ██ █████ █████
████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀████
▄▄▄▄                            ▄▄▄
█████ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄ ▄████
 ████ █████ █████ █████ █████ ████
   ▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀   
bluenote.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀

█▀▀▀█▀▄
█   █  ▀▄
█   ▀▀▀▀█
█ ▀▀▀▀▀ █
█ ▀▀▀▀▀ █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█▀▀█▀▄   █
█  █  ▀▄ █
█  ▀▀▀▀█ █
█ ▀▀▀▀ █▄█
█▄▄▄▄▄▄█
Summary
WhitePaper
saganpav

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

SPOKKZ

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 09:08:29 AM

Perhaps they only remove those coins that are already dead, but if there is a certain number of investors on the coin, they hope to return it.

✦ ────────  SPOKKZ  ──────── ✦
A COMMUNITY-POWERED FILM & TV BLOCKCHAIN ECOSYSTEM
✦ ────────  Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝   Facebook ⬝  Linkedin ⬝  Medium   ──────── ✦ Join Pre-Sale
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 10:30:18 AM

because an altcoin that is being traded on some exchange and has actual volume is not considered a dead coin according to many investors. as a matter of fact there are a lot of traders who are only trading these coins which you consider dead because they are making a lot of money from them.

for example when a big altcoin in top 10 is pumped 5% barely and everyone is happy, these small coins get pumped 500% in a day and those investors become 100 times richer than the first group. so they never give it up.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
Vit83

Activity: 644

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2018, 10:37:43 AM

The main question at what parameter they can decide this alt is dead? I don't remember any alts that they officially said that they finished and dead)

adroitful_one
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1041

1GhxHtabWhEpdb7e7oEJ2vd542n33BwTHR

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 11:11:30 AM

The thing is, there's a few coins that people have taken over that have made a come back. So deleting them too early could be a problem. I agree that if a coin is completely dead and there's no interest in it at all, then it should be deleted. But, if it's just dropping in price and there's still interest, then keep it on the list. It's not really hurting anything by being there in my opinion.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: