Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:43:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are the major alts aligning with Bitcon (price-wise).  (Read 144 times)
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 04:09:09 PM

Normally, when bitcoin's price goes down, the price of altcoins goes up in comparison to bitcoin for everything to "balance out" somewhat as everyone tries to convert bitcoin to the alts to maintain their value.
When bitcoin's price goes up, the price of altcoins generally seem to go down as everyone converts from those alts to bitcoin.

I'm noticing that alts like litecoin (for example) are now falling as bitcoin's price falls. Which seems quite weird, or have I missed something?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tomahawk9

Activity: 2086
Merit: 994

Cats on Mars

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 06:19:27 PM
Last edit: August 15, 2018, 11:17:10 AM by tomahawk9

It's hard to say...maybe the major ones are (?) because for the rest of the alts (I'm referring to those not in the top 10 or even top 20) whether the btc price goes up or down, they just keep going down with the usual dead cat bounce every once in a while.

The btc price is going down, sure, but alts (major or not) are tanking a lot harder which makes it look like they're following the bitcoin price when in fact they've been going down for months now, so most of them are not exactly following the BTC price movements.

I think we also need to look at the BTC dominance to have a better understanding of what's happening. The btc dominance has been increasing non stop for the past several months, and that's without a major spike in the BTC price (just the usual  fluctuation), while the altcoin market cap just keeps going down (from $260b to $86b in a few months), kinda reflects how everyone is dumping alts right now, makes think that most of the shitcoin projects (which represent a big % of the altcoin market) are either cashing out profits or just converting to fiat for the time being. So, all in all, I think the major alts are beginning to follow the btc price movements but whenever the btc price goes up, alts go up for a short while and I believe this is because of how the altcoin market has entered a bearish season.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW
vanmoreno

Activity: 359
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 06:30:04 PM

when btc dominance more than 50 percent but  market value down/ decrease its all altcoin will be in red..looks on coinmarketcap  this week, i hope its recover  next week
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 07:25:50 PM
Last edit: August 14, 2018, 07:43:05 PM by jackg

when btc dominance more than 50 percent but  market value down/ decrease its all altcoin will be in red..looks on coinmarketcap  this week, i hope its recover  next week

I think it's going to stay low for quite a while (a month or so), but then it'll recover...
It'll have to double before the halving anyway (ok I know we're two years away but)...
It's hard to say...maybe the major ones are (?) because for the rest of the alts (I'm referring to those not in the top 10 or even top 20) whether the btc price goes up or down, they just keep going down with the usual dead cat bounce every once in a while.

The btc price is going down, sure, but alts (major or not) are tanking a lot harder which makes it look like they're following the bitcoin price when in fact they've been going down for months now, so most of them are not exactly following the BTC price movements.

I think we also need to look at the BTC dominance to have a better understanding of what's happening. The btc dominance ass been increasing non stop for the past several months, and that's without a major spike in the BTC price (just the usual  fluctuation), while the altcoin market cap just keeps going down (from $260b to $86b in a few months), kinda reflects how everyone is dumping alts right now, makes think that most of the shitcoin projects (which represent a big % of the altcoin market) are either cashing out profits or just converting to fiat for the time being. So, all in all, I think the major alts are beginning to follow the btc price movements but whenever the btc price goes up, alts go up for a short while and I believe this is because of how the altcoin market has entered a bearish season.

That is quite true, though I expect the top 10/20 alts will continue with the same fluctuation as bitcoin and will go back up.

I'm not one of those (idiotic) people who think eth, litecoin or bitcoin cash is going to ever overtake bitcoin but I reckon their price will rebound relative to bitcoin to a high comparative rate to what they used to be just after bitcoin's $19000 peak.
The alts that aren't in the top 10/20 also deserve to be dumped hard (there are some exceptions like dogecoin which has a fairly stable price between 10-50 satoshi) but most of them are not worth knowing anymore.

It's also interesting that bitcoin's decline has paused for the moment while the other altcoins continue to fall substantially.
EXtremeAEX

Activity: 798
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 01:02:16 AM

Everything is a bit different than you imagine. The situation described by you is typical only for certain situations. Before the price of bitcoin will grow significantly and during the growth of the bitcoin price, the prices for altcoins fall, and when after the growth, the price of bitcoin stabilizes, then the altcoins begin their growth. All the rest of the time, the price of altcoins simply follows the price of bitcoin. The bitcoin grew a little bit - the altcoins grew a bit, bitcoin fell a little - the altcoins fell a little. Although there are different situations and every time we can see something new, but in general everything happens as I described.

███████
                      ████    ████
                      ███       ███
                      ███       ███
                       ████   ███
                         ███████

██████████████                ██████████████
     ███████████████████         ████████████████████
   ███████████████████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████    ██████████████████████████    █████████
███████████                                     ███████                                 
   █████████████████████████████████████████████████
        ███████████████              ███████████

██████████████                ██████████████
     ███████████████████         ████████████████████
   ███████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████                                     ███████                                 
   █████████████████████████████████████████████████
        ███████████████              ███████████
AUDITCHAIN
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

READ OUR WHITEPAPER
YouTubeRedditLinkedInInstagramMedium
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
cryptowse

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 01:20:55 AM

BTC dominance is why, litecoin hasn't had much going on and there's no reason for people to buy it when all the attention is on BTC. Altcoins don't follow BTC, they actually have been falling since last year but only respond to BTC dominance.
pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 04:59:17 AM

jackg, when was the last time that altcoins went up when BTC was  down in a bear market? Ty. All of them have fallen with BTC as far as I have seen in my short time observing the market.
Kallipso

Activity: 406
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 05:23:01 AM

Normally, when bitcoin's price goes down, the price of altcoins goes up in comparison to bitcoin for everything to "balance out" somewhat as everyone tries to convert bitcoin to the alts to maintain their value.
When bitcoin's price goes up, the price of altcoins generally seem to go down as everyone converts from those alts to bitcoin.

I'm noticing that alts like litecoin (for example) are now falling as bitcoin's price falls. Which seems quite weird, or have I missed something?
And I'm watching a completely different situation in the bear market, with the drop of bitcoin, all the alts also fall. So this dependence hinders the calm development of the alts and reaches the level of bitcoin.
tot-o

Activity: 210
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 07:33:10 AM

It's hard to say that it is real that when Bitcoin goes up, altcoin goes down, or vice versa, there are time when all of them goes up together so I think depend on the money that coming out and in in the market for certain coin.... Like for example when people only buy lite coin today then only lite coin increase its value...
saganpav

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

SPOKKZ

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 08:48:37 AM

But not all altcoins go down with bitcoin, just at this point all altcoin loses investors who do not go into bitcoin as they expect a drop in its price.

✦ ────────  SPOKKZ  ──────── ✦
A COMMUNITY-POWERED FILM & TV BLOCKCHAIN ECOSYSTEM
✦ ────────  Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝   Facebook ⬝  Linkedin ⬝  Medium   ──────── ✦ Join Pre-Sale
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 09:00:40 AM

so far what i remember from the market is that each time bitcoin goes up or down we see blood on the streets of altcoin'estan.
during times like yesterday though they start moving on their own and although bitcoin doesn't move at all the alt coins continue declining altogether. so no i don't see them aligning with bitcoin. and the more they get dumped the less any sort of alignment they might have would be.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
Milamol

Activity: 686
Merit: 11

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 09:28:02 AM

Now we observe a way out of the market. Most investors are oriented and believe in BTC. Therefore, when BTC falls, altcoins are sold; when BTC grows, sell altcoin to buy the first. This is a double blow to the altcoins. I think not all of them will be able to recover, and this is possible with a big rise of BTC.

DIAGON  e S p o r t s   ▐ ╹  Global decentralize eSports ecosystem
JAPCNSPNRU   WHITEPAPER  ]     ICO ❱ ❱  ❱ Nov. 12 th
facebook   ◥ TWITTER   ◥ reddit   ────  (❪   B U Y   ❫)  ────
Vit83

Activity: 644
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2018, 10:14:25 AM

I agree that is sad when BTC works just like indicator. You can't increase quantity of BTC when it falls like it was before. Now everything follows BTC. Hope when BTC price will fall it will be again multidirectional movements not just follow BTC.

jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 10:33:25 AM

jackg, when was the last time that altcoins went up when BTC was  down in a bear market? Ty. All of them have fallen with BTC as far as I have seen in my short time observing the market.

25th of February?

There was quite a spike then when bitcoin was still fallling.

Fiat comparisons don't work so well for what i'm doing (than comparisons to Bitcoin).

But not all altcoins go down with bitcoin, just at this point all altcoin loses investors who do not go into bitcoin as they expect a drop in its price.
Which one hasn't this time?
tomahawk9

Activity: 2086
Merit: 994

Cats on Mars

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 12:02:47 PM

-snip-
It's also interesting that bitcoin's decline has paused for the moment while the other altcoins continue to fall substantially.
Yeah, the bitcoin downtrend stopped yesterday, yet a lot altcoins were still tanking, especially those outside the top20.

Btw, notice how today a lot of altcoins are still in the red numbers (at the moment of this post) in terms of satoshi levels despite following the small increase in the BTC price, while the major ones are following the btc uptrend. It's kinda like you said, they have the same fluctuation as bitcoin, especially the major alts. It would be interesting to see if this trend continues once the bear market stops.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW
WhaleTank

Activity: 172
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2018, 02:09:22 PM

It works in another way.
When BTC down - people sell alts to move to BTC and sell BTC to USDT. The same also when BTC goes up.
WhaleTank Trade
Coinrush20

Activity: 126
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 02:17:02 PM

How about Altcoins to Fiat? If Bitcoin goes down and there is no relevant increase to to other altcoins and it seems that they follow the same flow as what Bitcoin does, May it be possible that investors are trading it to fiat directly?

KONIOS.com   |│  The World's Most Secure Cash & Crypto Platform
●   PRE-ICO  |  LIVE   ●  AIRDROP | LIVE  ●   ICO  |  July 1st   ●
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 02:25:09 PM

Yeah, the bitcoin downtrend stopped yesterday, yet a lot altcoins were still tanking, especially those outside the top20.

Btw, notice how today a lot of altcoins are still in the red numbers (at the moment of this post) in terms of satoshi levels despite following the small increase in the BTC price, while the major ones are following the btc uptrend. It's kinda like you said, they have the same fluctuation as bitcoin, especially the major alts. It would be interesting to see if this trend continues once the bear market stops.

Most of them are still actually falling, but yeah a few are rising/stagnant with Bitcoin's value now.
Only time will tell what'll happen from now on (although I expect we still have some falling to do).

How about Altcoins to Fiat? If Bitcoin goes down and there is no relevant increase to to other altcoins and it seems that they follow the same flow as what Bitcoin does, May it be possible that investors are trading it to fiat directly?

Fiat's pretty useless to me as a way of measuring, fiat is really economically dependent also (more than bitcoin is).
jzale

Activity: 504
Merit: 105

View Profile
August 15, 2018, 03:42:58 PM

I believe there are few circumstances where Altcoins align with the price trend of Bitcoin. Generally, if Bitcoin goes up all the other coins are being pulled up too and when Bitcoin goes down alts follow afterwards. Isn't it natural since the dominance of BTC is higher than the altcoins so when we purchase altcoins we mostly use BTC.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: