Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:16:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Merged mining for Ixcoin  (Read 5356 times)
Nasakioto (OP)

Activity: 172
Merit: 283

Thomas Nasakioto

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2011, 01:35:39 AM

It appears mining on the Ixcoin blockchain has reduced significantly so I was wondering whether we should switch to merged mining like Namecoin. The hope is that more people would mine the Ixcoin chain to make it more secure. Any thoughts/advice/code/reservations appreciated.

Thomas Nasakioto - Upgrade to Ixcoin 0.3.24.3 before block 43,000
Ixcoin.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 03:19:04 AM

Finally.

steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 03:23:33 AM

I don't care about merged mining, but why not if easy.  What I would really like to see is all mining stop after block 50,000 to create the worlds 1st deflationary currency.  There is a danger if a large merged mining pool say 100 Gh decides to drop ixcoin, you might be wait 6 months to get 144 blocks.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2011, 03:47:56 AM

I don't care about merged mining, but why not if easy.  What I would really like to see is all mining stop after block 50,000 to create the worlds 1st deflationary currency.  There is a danger if a large merged mining pool say 100 Gh decides to drop ixcoin, you might be wait 6 months to get 144 blocks.

Huh Stop mining?  That would stop the currency.... and make it all worthless... I don't understand what that accomplishes?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
steelhouse

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 05:45:21 AM

Huh Stop mining?  That would stop the currency.... and make it all worthless... I don't understand what that accomplishes?

Mining offers no value to the currency.  Bitcoin at price of 5 has to come up with $1500 every hour to keep it from collapsing.  Yes, eventually it will reach 1% inflation in 15 years.  Mining makes the currency go down!  way down! 

I am running the ixcoin graphic bounty.  I would love to change the name to "The Worlds 1st Deflationary Currency" graphics ad bounty.

I think we should do anything to make the currency go up.  Maybe offer bounty for BCE to fix holes. Merged mining, end mining! or sleeping with the fed reserves daughter.

Search deflation on youtube or in the economics section.

what accomplishs this
total number of $ = M
k = constant
value of a dollar = k (M/person)
value of dollar = kM/person

If you double amount of currency, the value of the currency will halve.

Lolcust

Activity: 112
Merit: 11

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 09:56:01 AM

Mining offers no value to the currency.  Bitcoin at price of 5 has to come up with $1500 every hour to keep it from collapsing.  Yes, eventually it will reach 1% inflation in 15 years.  Mining makes the currency go down!  way down! 

Sadly, mining is also the sole act that allows transactions to become confirmed in the first place, and the sole thing that keeps one from double-spending.

In case you are concerned by  growth of the number of coins available on the market for purchase (a dubious concern, but I am quite tired of arguing over it with deflation crowd), what you should be looking into is introducing factors that increase irrevocable loss of coins, not decrease production (that would induce the overall number of coins available for purchase on the market to stabilize more quickly)

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
NMC: N6YQFkH9Gn9CTm4mpGwuLB5zLzqWTWFw67
BTC: 15F8xbgRBA1XZ4hmtdFDUasroa2A5rYg8M
GEG: gK5Lx6ypWgr69Gw9yGzE6dsA7kcuCRZRK
MaxSan

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 01:25:12 PM

I am running the ixcoin graphic bounty.  I would love to change the name to "The Worlds 1st Deflationary Currency" graphics ad bounty.

I think we should do anything to make the currency go up.  Maybe offer bounty for BCE to fix holes. Merged mining, end mining! or sleeping with the fed reserves daughter.

Search deflation on youtube or in the economics section.

what accomplishs this
total number of $ = M
k = constant
value of a dollar = k (M/person)
value of dollar = kM/person

If you double amount of currency, the value of the currency will halve.

Somebody forgot to tell namecoin that.

Sorry Mr. Express but namecoin gets more valuable as time goes on as it requires less coins to register a domain.
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 01:29:46 PM

I'd say the main driver of namecoin value would be US Gov and its ugly "intellectual property protecshun" initiatives Wink

Geist Geld, the experimental cryptocurrency, is ready for yet another SolidCoin collapse Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2011, 01:54:46 PM

Sadly, mining is also the sole act that allows transactions to become confirmed in the first place, and the sole thing that keeps one from double-spending.

In case you are concerned by  growth of the number of coins available on the market for purchase (a dubious concern, but I am quite tired of arguing over it with deflation crowd), what you should be looking into is introducing factors that increase irrevocable loss of coins, not decrease production (that would induce the overall number of coins available for purchase on the market to stabilize more quickly)

this was my point, without computers mining.... coins can't be transacted.  It's like saying let's all invest in a set number of rocks, and then send them to the moon and never trade them... they become worthless...

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Nasakioto (OP)

Thomas Nasakioto

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2011, 05:26:16 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2011, 05:37:13 PM by Nasakioto

Did you ever get a round to fixing it against The Time Travel exploit?

Can anyone point me to a fix for in the code of other alt coins where this was fixed please? Thanks.

I still think merged mining has more potential though.

Ixcoin.org
Nasakioto (OP)

Thomas Nasakioto

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2011, 05:29:07 PM

I don't care about merged mining, but why not if easy.  What I would really like to see is all mining stop after block 50,000 to create the worlds 1st deflationary currency. 

If we stop mining rewards without a large ecosystem of paid Ixcoin transactions, then there will be no incentive to mine.

There is a danger if a large merged mining pool say 100 Gh decides to drop ixcoin, you might be wait 6 months to get 144 blocks.

Possible, but I don't see a trivial way to prevent this.

Ixcoin.org
steelhouse

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 06:39:01 PM

Merged mining will probably get new users into ixc so it might increase interest and thus value.  Locust/BCEx eventually for most coins mining is going to cease anyways.  In 2015 mining is going to seize for ixcoin anyways.  And in 2030 all mining will cease for bitcoin.  We could cease mining, and only have transaction fees minus 10% which are destroyed.  Thus, you will get something for mining.  Why mine a worthless coin?  If there was a way to automatically mine when you open the client, thus people would keep the client open to get a tiny bits of coin that come from transactions.  Early versions of bitcoin had a miner built in, maybe set the default to mine automatically?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nJYN94m2pw
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 07:07:01 PM

Merged mining will probably get new users into ixc so it might increase interest and thus value.  Locust/BCEx eventually for most coins mining is going to cease anyways.  In 2015 mining is going to seize for ixcoin anyways.  And in 2030 all mining will cease for bitcoin. 

Mining will not cease.

Subsidies will.

With all due respect, learn the distinction, and then we shall proceed to discuss the optimal way to build a deflationcoin

Feed the Lolcust!
steelhouse

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 09:18:43 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2011, 10:06:51 PM by steelhouse

Merged mining will probably get new users into ixc so it might increase interest and thus value.  Locust/BCEx eventually for most coins mining is going to cease anyways.  In 2015 mining is going to seize for ixcoin anyways.  And in 2030 all mining will cease for bitcoin.  

Mining will not cease.

Subsidies will.

With all due respect, learn the distinction, and then we shall proceed to discuss the optimal way to build a deflationcoin

subsidies? the added 50 25 12.5?  It will be a decade before btc becomes useful, in the meantime your puppy will die of old age.  

So would it be ok to end the 96 subsidies and allow the miners to keep the transaction fees?
steelhouse

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 09:38:31 PM

If mining is required to protect the network, I think you should have mandatory mining in the client.
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 09:46:56 PM

If mining is required to protect the network, I think you should have mandatory mining in the client.

I don't even know where to start...

That's probably worse idea than coin taxes. There, I said it. There can be worse ideas than taxing miners in favor of third party.

Also, x-flation is irrelevant as far as utility of a cc as way of transferring value tokens is concerned

Feed the Lolcust!
steelhouse

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 10:09:10 PM

That's probably worse idea than coin taxes. There, I said it. There can be worse ideas than taxing miners in favor of third party.

Also, x-flation is irrelevant as far as utility of a cc as way of transferring value tokens is concerned

In California we pay close to a 10% sales taxes.  A crypto-currency could have a 5% sales tax (transactions) and delete 100% of them.  They could also give 75% to miners and 25% to deletion.
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2011, 10:12:22 PM

If IXCoin is back, I'll mine them again!
Lolcust

Hillariously voracious

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 10:15:24 PM

In California we pay close to a 10% sales taxes.  A crypto-currency could have a 5% sales tax (transactions) and delete 100% of them.  They could also give 75% to miners and 25% to deletion.

Dear my, you gotta be trolling.
If IXCoin is back, I'll mine them again!

MINE ALL THE COINS ! Wink

Feed the Lolcust!
steelhouse

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 10:26:18 PM
Last edit: October 20, 2011, 02:59:54 AM by steelhouse

To stop a BitCoin network you would need to break every single BitCoin node.  - quote by SD

Would merged mining stop the time travel exploit?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: