Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:51:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tradehill Down?  (Read 2031 times)
epetroel (OP)

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 03:03:03 PM

I seem to be getting timeouts with TradeHill.  Can anyone get in?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 03:12:08 PM

I seem to be getting timeouts with TradeHill.  Can anyone get in?

yep, me too
Manko

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 03:50:20 PM

I've got a bad feeling we are going to get some more Moonco.in situations. The Grim Reaper is weilding his nasty scythe, and it's coming down on the exchanges.

epetroel (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 03:55:42 PM

Well, the API seems to be up at least - one of my bots just made a trade there. 
Houdini

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 04:56:17 PM

Has anyone here managed to get any money out of Tradehill lately ? Are they still in business at all or have they gone bankrupt ?
I still have money in Tradehill I want to get out, but now I see their site isn't working, and they haven't posted on this forum in two weeks (and they used to regularly), and it seems most people have already left this forum as well as the bitcoin world (which leads to exchanges shutting down due to lack of traffic volume).
I'm going to send them a message now, but don't expect a reply quickly, so please someone if you have any info on the status of Tradehill tell me now, is there a way for me to still get my money out ?
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 05:25:16 PM

As a point of reference, late last night PDT I was able to make a purchase for some BTC I needed and transfer them home.  I've been taking BTC home in this way in some quantity since the weekend.  At least three times.  I try to keep as little $$$ and BTC out of my control as possible of course.  All of my requests for transfer were handled quite quickly in this last round of activity.  A few months ago Tradehill had seemed to have gone through a phase of taking a fair amount of time to ship out BTC.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 05:51:37 PM

As a point of reference, late last night PDT I was able to make a purchase for some BTC I needed and transfer them home.  I've been taking BTC home in this way in some quantity since the weekend.  At least three times.  I try to keep as little $$$ and BTC out of my control as possible of course.  All of my requests for transfer were handled quite quickly in this last round of activity.  A few months ago Tradehill had seemed to have gone through a phase of taking a fair amount of time to ship out BTC.

Just checked again from a new location, and I am back to being able to sign in.

But is it now 'under new management' after the downtime?  Maybe Mr. Are_You_A_Wizard can bless us with some entertaining hypotheses.  Or maybe Tradehill make a surprise appearance and produce a plausible explanation (e.g., 'front-end server re-booted'.)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2011, 10:04:32 PM

FYI - We are also about to make a big blog post covering quite a few recent questions. Including an outline and process for a full Audit which will show our books are straight.

Now that, if done well, would be very cool.  Especially if it set a precedent.  I'm sure that it will be ripped at by a lot of people, but it's usually fairly easy to separate the wheat from the chaff on these forums.

We have admittedly been a little quiet lately on the forums because we are trying focus on building our businesses (all of them - some that are not BTC related too). Regardless, we need better keep up on the forums as of late. Then again, no one has made any major complaints aside from a few recent delays so I suppose that's good.

I am looking forward to the post.  I'd would not mind replenishing me depleted account so as to have the option to take advantage of any opportunities which may pop up, but it's pretty easy to be paranoid about exchanges these days.  The diversification angle you allude to is particularly interesting to me.

mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 06:16:12 AM

Hmm.
"Down for maintenance"
:/
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 07:20:39 AM

Hmm.
"Down for maintenance"

Yup.  Here too.  It's been down long enough to have re-built the server (if they are set up proficiently) and depending on the nature of their problems of this morning that could be a prudent thing to do.  It's annoying that they have not put anything on their blog.

mobodick

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 07:23:01 AM

Hmm.
"Down for maintenance"

Yup.  Here too.  It's been down long enough to have re-built the server (if they are set up proficiently) and depending on the nature of their problems of this morning that could be a prudent thing to do.  It's annoying that they have not put anything on their blog.

What's even more annoying is they replaced the API ticker with the text "Down for maintenance".
It screws up my parser.
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 07:59:15 AM

Hmm.
"Down for maintenance"

What's even more annoying is they replaced the API ticker with the text "Down for maintenance".
It screws up my parser.

your parser is broken.
mobodick

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 08:19:05 AM

Hmm.
"Down for maintenance"

It screws up my parser.

your parser is broken.
Nah, the input is broken and i fail to detect it.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 02:32:55 PM

Any word on this? 
epetroel (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 03:19:53 PM

Any word on this? 

I emailed them about it, got a reply that they are working on it, but no word on an ETA yet.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 04:35:07 PM

Seems to be back.

I don't even want to log in until I can understand what caused the 12hr or so unannounced 'maintenance window'.

I would suggest to Tradehill that they provide a public and very detailed post-mortem of the events of the last couple of days.

tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2011, 07:28:44 PM

In case anyone is following only this thread in the 'trading discussion' board, Jerred did provide an update on the main board that they are under DDOS.

Adam S (TradeHill)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 08:14:07 AM

Hi,

Yes, Jered did post in the main forum on this. We did get several DDOS attacks in a row. Its now been over 48 hours without an issue/attack so it seems the perps have left.

Thank you!

Regards,
Adam
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2011, 07:26:54 PM

Yes, Jered did post in the main forum on this. We did get several DDOS attacks in a row. Its now been over 48 hours without an issue/attack so it seems the perps have left.

Kinda makes one wonder who did Tradehill piss off and how did they do it?  Or maybe the DDOS was just an artifact of a general strategy...it sounds like Mt. Gox was hammered pretty hard too.  These things are kinda fun to muse about.

Again, Tradehill, I would hope that the cost savings in DDOS mitigation investment are eventually passed down to your customers in some tangible way.  Although we don't (necessarily) lose the kinds of money you guys do we are still inconvenienced by the disruptions.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: