Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:21:54 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I can't think of what to do with my time and money  (Read 5941 times)
CryptoFuture (OP)

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

Diggit.io Admin

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 10:10:45 AM

I am a software engineer and fairly early adopter of Bitcoin. I have also recently quit my job.

I have a fairly large amount of Bitcoin that I would like to invest into bettering the Bitcoin community.

What is a product or service the industry is lacking or that can be done better?

I would love to get it up and running.

aras

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 10:13:32 AM

Send me BTC lost on Gox Smiley
One option lol
oOoOo

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 10:25:08 AM

Bail out those who lost btc on gox. That would be helpful.
bennybong

Activity: 682
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 10:32:12 AM

All my BTC were on gox. And some fiat. I quit my job too recently and was planning on starting a new life with the money. My girlfriend of 6 years left me a week before christmas and I've just been waiting for gox to sort it out. All of a sudden I'm back to square one. Am currently sleeping on floor at my brothers house. I had been living off the BTC I can access but they're all gone now.
Check my post from recent months. Things have been shit lately.

If you fancy donating anything to help me get back on my feet then feel free. I would appreciate it an awful lot.

/sobstory
CryptoFuture (OP)

Activity: 181

Diggit.io Admin

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 10:39:20 AM

One option lol

Sorry to hear about your situation, but unfortunately by "a fairly large amount" I do not mean 744,000 BTC

SecondsOld

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 10:44:48 AM

One option lol

Sorry to hear about your situation, but unfortunately by "a fairly large amount" I do not mean 744,000 BTC

lol, great response.  I don't think OP was looking to be a bailout.  Baling out members who lost money with
Gox does not help improve a product or service within the bitcoin community.  I don't have a suggestion
but I love where your head is at and appreciate your efforts.  Best of luck.
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 10:48:33 AM

you could help support the future of crypto by supporting some of the better altcoins that would work much better for small transactions

there is so many things that the comunaty needs but one of the more important ones is clearing up the scams

( To be clear I am the dev of ADT and I am not trying to get your money before people say it )

chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 10:50:25 AM

We should pool resources and open a run of the mill, super boring traditional bank in the US. I've heard from a friend in the financial industry ballpark that one can do this for roughly $5 million.

Why you ask?

Try to guess.
grifferz

Activity: 154

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:16:40 AM

You could try to set up an exchange that doesn't require access to the private keys of users' bitcoin addresses, or a decentralised exchange.

It's a shame that your post attracted so many beggars. Unfortunately this happens when you mention you are bitcoin-rich. It might be a good idea not to mention that in public as it may draw worse attention than beggars.
backtrackit

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:23:29 AM

Have some bitcoin atms put in your local area.

davidpbrown

Activity: 531
Merit: 260

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 11:32:36 AM

Enable the change.. positive contributions to press awareness and abc faqs for merchants to help them understand their options. If you have shed loads to spare, then throw to kick-starters and look to angel investing and help support the more far out riskier ventures cover whatever they are lacking.. put people together and act as catalyst.

฿://12vxXHdmurFP3tpPk7bt6YrM3XPiftA82s
ThiagoCMC
Legendary

Activity: 1204

฿itcoin: Currency of Resistance!

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:40:08 AM

I am a software engineer and fairly early adopter of Bitcoin. I have also recently quit my job.

I have a fairly large amount of Bitcoin that I would like to invest into bettering the Bitcoin community.

What is a product or service the industry is lacking or that can be done better?

Help me with my Open Source Bitcoin Exchange!

I need a coder to be able to keep it running! It is a fork of the very first version of Bitcoin-Central.net and I need to make it better, for my business to continue its operations plus, give a better open source exchange back to the community.

Take a look!

https://bitbucket.org/tmartinx/bitfication

Can you code in Ruby on Rails?!

Cheers!
Thiago
hjbuell

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Writer $0.10/word +

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 11:48:25 AM

Helping the Bitcoin community is more than just investing in Bitcoin projects. It extends to improving the adoption of Bitcoins as a form of payment, and the associated works people in those areas are able and willing to provide in exchange for payment in Bitcoins. There are many options available - but increasing the adoption of Bitcoins as a currency is one of the best methods of helping the community.

What you do, to a degree, is dependent on where you are located and the legal frameworks afforded by that location. You're in essence offering venture capital to the Bitcoin community. Protecting yourself and your assets should be your first concern, followed by investing in something you believe in and are willing to support. Trusting anyone else to manage it will almost always result in disaster.

To a degree, that means retaining operating control of both the project and your funds. Anyone who isn't willing to cede that is most likely going to screw you over. Likewise, anyone who can't provide you with a sound business plan or a currently working product is likely to fail.

Visit some of the Venture Capital forums and sites. See what people are looking for, and in turn what they're providing in return for investment versus the risk involved.

Being different is all it takes to make a difference. H. J. Buell
Writer from $0.10 per word. https://hjbuell.com
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 12:00:48 PM

A software engineer but you do not have any ideas for Bitcoin?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 12:04:48 PM

Software engineers are more or less just workers...... They're not in any position that requires vision....

TrollboxChamp

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 12:06:29 PM

Just because someone is capable of carrying out a worthwhile task doesnt mean they can easily come up with one.

Dont put someone down who is trying to better this community. Instead lift them up and help them get to a better place.

EDIT: To me OP is saying bitcoin has enriched my life now i want to enrich bitcoin!
miragecash

Activity: 168

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 12:11:12 PM

I invite you to notice that, A 21st century money of the Singularity, Bitcoin, needs a 21st century libertarian marketplace.....

P2P auctions using bitcoin. Have a blockchain record all financial transactions just like bitcoin, it is distributed so no central server nor company.
1. buyer pays and bitcoin enters into a wallet controlled by the computer program and not controlled by any person. private keys held by computer and not a person.
2. buyer's bitcoins are in escrow in the computer system.
3. seller sends stuff.
4. when buyer receives stuff, buyer hits a button to release the bitcoins to seller. buyer cannot get the bitcoins back.

If seller cheats buyer, buyer will not press button to release bitcoins to seller.

If buyer doesn't hit the button to release the bitcoins, buyer cannot get a refund so buyer cannot cheat the seller.

system is free to use. there are no auction fees.

bitcoins trapped in the system from buyers who have paid but not released the bitcoins to the seller, will be distributed to the "miners" after 30 days. The "miners" get the bitcoins for running the distributed central serverless network auction program for everyone to use for free.  Smiley

All auction items are found with a simple search engine. There are no complicated menu trees and employees. The entire system is automated. System is encrpyted just like bitcoin so miners will not be liable for any crazy stuff people put on there since they do not know what is on there.

I am a sucky computer programmer or else I would've done this already. I invite you to hire some programmers to do this.

Many thanks,
 Grin

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 12:13:54 PM

code proof of concept exchange that keeps individual balances in individual dual sig addrs on the blockchain.  seller signs txn when he puts coins on the order book.  usd held in bank of course but represented by a separate blockchain or colored coins.  PM me if you want.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 12:16:12 PM

Software engineers are more or less just workers...... They're not in any position that requires vision....

Without a vision,they usually just are at average.
Okay then let's see what the engineer can do for bitcoin.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
TheSmo

Activity: 280

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 12:20:54 PM

That would help the ppl who lost money, but how would it help the BTC community?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: