Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 08:01:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I can't think of what to do with my time and money  (Read 5941 times)
MrPiggles

Activity: 980
Merit: 256

Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:38:38 AM

I didn't leave that option out. That's the "miners' fees" remember? Also, once you have a couple transactions under your belt, your feedback rating would make you more trustworthy than someone with a lower feedback rating. So, the seller could opt to refuse large dollar amount sales to newbies as a condition of the auction. Another condition of the auction set by the seller could be a discount for those with a very good feedback rating. Feedback ratings are weighted with more weight given to high dollar amount sales that have closed successfully. With this discount in place, there would be a great incentive to not use throwaway profiles just to be an "asshole" as there is no financial incentive to be an "asshole" since the money goes to the miners and not the "asshole" buyer. The financial incentive is on being a good buyer to keep a high feedback rating for said discounts.

Yes but people would do it, if it goes to the miners or the sellers it doesn't go back to the buyer, so they don't  care.

You'd end up with everyone insisting on finalisation before they shipped anything to newbies and it'd be scam city.

Like silk road

▄▄████▄
          ██▀▀  ▀██▄
     ▄▄▄▄██▀      ██▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄██▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
   ██     ███▄▄▄▄██▀     ██
   ██      ▀▀▀██▀▀       ██
  ▄██                    ██▄
  ██▀       ██████       ▀██
  ██        ██  ██        ██
  ██       ███  ███       ██
 ███       ███  ███       ███
 ██▀       ███  ███       ▀██
▄██        ████████        ██▄
███                        ███
 ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
  ▀████████████████████████▀

iBid

Decentralized Auctions
on Blockchain
  ▄██

▀██
██████████████████████████████████
▄ ▄▄
██▄▀██▄
████▄▀▀██▄
██████▄ ▀███▄▄
████████▄ ▀███▀ ▄
██████████▄ ▀ ▄████▄
██████████▀ ▄ ▀███▀▀
████████▀ ▄███▄ ▀
██████▀▄████▀▀
████▀▄███▀
██▀▄█▀▀
  ▀▀
GET IN ON
Google Play
██▄
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
██▀
  ▄██

▀██
█████████████████████████████████
          ▄▄█
         ▄██▀
    ▄▄▄  ▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄███████████████
▄██████████████▀
███████████████
███████████████
▀███████████████▄
 ████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████▀
   ▀████▀▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
██▄
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
██▀

About us
Telegram
██████████████      ██████████████
███████████████    ███████████████
█████████████        █████████████
███████████            ███████████
████████████████  ████████████████
██████████              ██████████
██████████  ████  ████  ██████████
█████████    ██    ██    █████████

███ SIGN UP ███
██████████▀▀▀▀████████████████████
██████████▄▄    ▀▀▀███████████████
██████████  ▀▀ ▄▄  ▄██████████████
█████████        ▀████████████████
████████▀        █████████████████
██████▀▀▀▄▄     ██     ▀▀▀████████
██████▄     ▀▀▄▄███▄         ▀████
█████████▄▄▄   ███████▄▄       ███
███████████████████████████▄▄▄████
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████
███▀             ▀████████████████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████

All auctions start at $0
with no minimum reserve

AN  AUCTION
miragecash

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 02:37:54 PM

Yup, we have 3 votes now for my idea of a decentralized automated p2p auction site with no owner and no central server.

To MrPiggles, yes, there would be the occasional bad buyer who would opt not to press the payment release button just like there is the occasional diner who doesn't tip the waitress. However, the vast majority of diners tip the waitress. Perhaps you are reflecting on what you would do, not what most buyers would do. Also, silk road was not scam city because the system did not work. The system did work. I've never used it, but didn't Charlie Shrem said in an email of his, "Wow, silk road really does work!" The reason why it was a scam is because, again, of simple economics. If the OPERATORS of Silk Road (not the sellers) honestly continued to run the website, they would eventually get busted. This means zero profits and jail time. The US Government has UNLIMITED RESOURCES so if they want to find you, they WILL find you. Being able to print unlimited amounts of fiat is being able to have unlimited power, at least until you have runaway inflation and the whole house of cards fall down. However, faking a hacked website and taking off with everyone's coins has a 100% chance of success. Therefore, the conclusion that it is or will be a scam by the OPERATORS is a 100% certainty unless they are not motivated by economic factors.

The economic motivator for the buyer would be to release the coins to the seller after receipt of merchandise because;
1. buyer doesn't get the coins back. It goes to the miners.
2. buyer will get a discount on his next purchase if he builds up a positive feedback history.
Again, unless the buyer is not motivated by economics, then this system should work.

I would appreciate a site that functions like ebay but uses bitcoin/alts instead.

I pay 10% in fees to ebay and then another percentage through Paypal AND Paypal takes days to get funds into my account (my small amount may not be much in interest but the amounts they're holding?)

A way to put your skills to profitable use.
Trading goods for goods could be less cumbersome in relation to regulations.

Or figure out what it is that would make your everyday work a pleasure.

Wishing you much luck.

I invite you to notice that, A 21st century money of the Singularity, Bitcoin, needs a 21st century libertarian marketplace.....

P2P auctions using bitcoin. Have a blockchain record all financial transactions just like bitcoin, it is distributed so no central server nor company.
1. buyer pays and bitcoin enters into a wallet controlled by the computer program and not controlled by any person. private keys held by computer and not a person.
2. buyer's bitcoins are in escrow in the computer system.
3. seller sends stuff.
4. when buyer receives stuff, buyer hits a button to release the bitcoins to seller. buyer cannot get the bitcoins back.

If seller cheats buyer, buyer will not press button to release bitcoins to seller.

If buyer doesn't hit the button to release the bitcoins, buyer cannot get a refund so buyer cannot cheat the seller.

system is free to use. there are no auction fees.

bitcoins trapped in the system from buyers who have paid but not released the bitcoins to the seller, will be distributed to the "miners" after 30 days. The "miners" get the bitcoins for running the distributed central serverless network auction program for everyone to use for free.  Smiley

All auction items are found with a simple search engine. There are no complicated menu trees and employees. The entire system is automated. System is encrpyted just like bitcoin so miners will not be liable for any crazy stuff people put on there since they do not know what is on there.
jakedeez

Activity: 512
Merit: 250

ICO is evil

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:24:20 PM

PM sent.  You should work with the devs man.
MrPiggles

Activity: 980
Merit: 256

Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:26:47 PM

Perhaps you are reflecting on what you would do, not what most buyers would do.

Nice, I disagree so you imply I'm dishonest.

Slightest disagreement, slightly slow shipping, whatever reason, they don't release the funds, it makes zero difference to them. They're out either way.

Feedback isn't enough of an incentive to stop people doing it.

Look at eBay.

It's not anonymous, ask any seller how often they have scam attempts, feedback extortion, paypal chargebacks, now make it anonymous....

▄▄████▄
          ██▀▀  ▀██▄
     ▄▄▄▄██▀      ██▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄██▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
   ██     ███▄▄▄▄██▀     ██
   ██      ▀▀▀██▀▀       ██
  ▄██                    ██▄
  ██▀       ██████       ▀██
  ██        ██  ██        ██
  ██       ███  ███       ██
 ██▀       ███  ███       ▀██
▄██        ████████        ██▄
███                        ███
 ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
  ▀████████████████████████▀

iBid

Decentralized Auctions
on Blockchain
  ▄██

▀██
▄ ▄▄
██▄▀██▄
████▄▀▀██▄
██████▄ ▀███▄▄
████████▄ ▀███▀ ▄
██████████▄ ▀ ▄████▄
██████████▀ ▄ ▀███▀▀
████████▀ ▄███▄ ▀
██████▀▄████▀▀
████▀▄███▀
██▀▄█▀▀
  ▀▀
GET IN ON
Google Play
██▄
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
██▀
  ▄██

▀██
          ▄▄█
         ▄██▀
    ▄▄▄  ▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄███████████████
▄██████████████▀
███████████████
███████████████
▀███████████████▄
 ████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████▀
   ▀████▀▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
██▄
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
██▀

About us
Telegram
███████████████    ███████████████
█████████████        █████████████
███████████            ███████████
████████████████  ████████████████
██████████              ██████████
██████████  ████  ████  ██████████

███ SIGN UP ███
██████████▀▀▀▀████████████████████
██████████▄▄    ▀▀▀███████████████
██████████  ▀▀ ▄▄  ▄██████████████
█████████        ▀████████████████
████████▀        █████████████████
██████▀▀▀▄▄     ██     ▀▀▀████████
██████▄     ▀▀▄▄███▄         ▀████
█████████▄▄▄   ███████▄▄       ███
███████████████████████████▄▄▄████
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████████████
███▀             ▀████████████████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████

All auctions start at $0
with no minimum reserve

AN  AUCTION
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 03:34:01 PM

I am a software engineer and fairly early adopter of Bitcoin. I have also recently quit my job.

I have a fairly large amount of Bitcoin that I would like to invest into bettering the Bitcoin community.

What is a product or service the industry is lacking or that can be done better?

I would love to get it up and running.
You could write a replacement network for Bitcoin.

The existing one sucks - it's about the most inefficient design possible in terms of bandwidth usage. It wasn't such a big deal when Bitcoin was still a proof of concept but it will need to be fixed if Bitcoin is to scale at all.
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 07:11:28 AM

Do this with me ...

http://www.tigermuaythai.com
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 07:28:46 AM

team up with a local business man (maybe somebody that owns some gas stations) that has a lot of product movement and will be willing to accept bitcoin.  right now bitcoin is based on speculation, but the long term path of success or failure will depend on it being able to be safely used on a daily basis by regular people. 

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 09:55:21 AM

So you want to be part of the Bitcoin Marketplace, do you?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 11:25:10 AM

Most software engineers do have vision, they tend to be problem solvers.

Your best bet is to start using your many bitcoins on a daily basis. You will likely run into some problems in doing so. Solve those problems with software.

If you have another skill or passion, combine it with software and bitcoins.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
vnvizow

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 12:24:20 PM

Software engineer? you can help out with the site's securities (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50617.0). Well if you do indeed have a large amount of bitcoins then you can build a local exchange for bitcoins or even an international one  Smiley
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 02:51:59 PM

Bro who is the sexy fox on your avatar?

miragecash

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 05:31:10 PM

No, not implying you are dishonest. And we don't even disagree. Anything is possible. This whole bitcoin thing is an experiment just like this proposed auction/exchange software. Nobody really knows what's going to happen as we are not psychics.

I have travelled extensively and some cultures don't tip. The salary for the waiters are included in the price of the check in many cultures. I actually never tipped until I travelled to North America. Now, I tip everywhere, even in places where people generally don't tip. I just tip less in those places and more in places like North America.

You have a guess. I have a guess. Your guess is as good as mine, but it will be fun participating in this Bitcoin experiment. I wouldn't advise betting your life savings on a socioeconomic techno experiment. That would be most unwise and it probably wouldn't be much fun losing your life savings.

Don't get Goxed and have fun!
Cheers,
 Wink

Perhaps you are reflecting on what you would do, not what most buyers would do.

Nice, I disagree so you imply I'm dishonest.

Slightest disagreement, slightly slow shipping, whatever reason, they don't release the funds, it makes zero difference to them. They're out either way.

Feedback isn't enough of an incentive to stop people doing it.

Look at eBay.

It's not anonymous, ask any seller how often they have scam attempts, feedback extortion, paypal chargebacks, now make it anonymous....

pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 05:42:34 PM

Yup, we have 3 votes now for my idea of a decentralized automated p2p auction site with no owner and no central server.

Check out the algorithm used by NashX.com. . . It may work better than what you've proposed.
madzooka

Activity: 150

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 05:47:03 PM

Whatever you are going to do I wish best luck!
The thread that you've made already helps our community as it is inspire confidence in a better future thanks to people like you

Bytecoin (BCN) - true anonymity, privacy protection and only CPU-mining

Bytecoin address - 21eQrEa2wVcdnf8viyaDu78anS4aX3Kvqiyidan25UBCWRokFoTpAHk6hduLR1oBeJ7Map75dCQv4an r2meEiH4wKc1tbQh
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2014, 05:57:09 PM

Software engineer? you can help out with the site's securities (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50617.0). Well if you do indeed have a large amount of bitcoins then you can build a local exchange for bitcoins or even an international one  Smiley
Going on with an exchange will require a lot more effort then just a thought local exchange is ok but when we talk about International exchange its quite a heavy task, IMHO if anyone wants to contribute towards btc just expand it in places not yet popular, Some guy shared an idea of Installing an BTC atm in your locality that too is a Good Idea

HorseCoin

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 07:20:44 PM

i'm just like you, except i didn't quit my day job.  don't want any gaps in my resume if i DO choose to go back to work, etc..
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 07:36:57 PM

I am a software engineer and fairly early adopter of Bitcoin. I have also recently quit my job.

I have a fairly large amount of Bitcoin that I would like to invest into bettering the Bitcoin community.

What is a product or service the industry is lacking or that can be done better?

I would love to get it up and running.

The Bitcoin convention is coming up, my suggestion to you would be to attend since you have the financial means to travel to Amsterdam and the time since you quit your job.  Talk to people there and find what interests you most.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
CPHJackal

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 07:50:18 PM

I'm certainly no expert in coding, but since the system has now proven its resiliency, and it obviously has fungibility, could you not work on a way to make the system more fluid?

What I mean is, we all know the strength of the system is in its application to low cost, high traffic transactions for retailers thanks to the virtually non-existant processing costs for retailers. Yet retailers aren't yet really taking up the system in floods. So if you could work with a designer to create a card or some variety that you could load up with bitcoin and then swipe instantly to do quick transactions, that could be a great start to really pumping up the numbers of retailers joining the cause. It would have to be convenient and with low costs for the retailer.

I was, at first going to say smartphones QR codes for the transactual mechanism, but I have an iphone, so i'm shit out of luck there Smiley

Point is, if you invent the mechanism in partnership with others, it could really take off and help the bitcoin community in general. Everyone always talks about how much VISA earn, but no one thinks of how much the subcontracted manufacturer of the physical cards makes.

2 cents flipped in.
HorseCoin

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 07:57:12 PM

you could become a policeman/woman or join the army
CPHJackal

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 02, 2014, 08:00:09 PM