Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:08:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How soon before we see Mark Karpeles in court?
Denial Phase - Won't go to court - 12 (13.6%)
Anger - Who cares? Someone shoot him - 19 (21.6%)
Bargaining - If he finds a buyer normal service can resume and no court case will transpire - 16 (18.2%)
Depression - Their all gone - 9 (10.2%)
Acceptance - He'll be arrested soon - 32 (36.4%)
Total Voters: 88

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How soon before we see Mark Karpeles in court?  (Read 2700 times)
Money Raccoon (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:33:10 AM

I'll go first and choose option 5.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DubFX

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:35:48 AM

I thin kthat he won't go to the court  Roll Eyes
Satyre_Noir

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:39:00 AM

He will be arrested soon, loosing coins because trans. malleability is good story for his mom and dad only.
WompRat

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:46:00 AM

After the Olympus scandal Japan toughened up its anti fraud laws so there is a small chance he could have broken these,  but it is highly unlikely that a prosecutor has any appetite for pursuing this given the lack of legal precedence in bitcoin.  The losses are fairly small in the grand scheme of things and International pressure is going to be pretty low.  The US authorities are probably glad the exchange has shut.  He will never go to court in my opinion even if he has broken the law which is far from certain.  

A private prosecution is always on the cards, but if they are bankrupt it seems like a large waste of money.  The administrators would probably get it dismissed before it ever reaches court.
CrashX

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 08:54:28 PM

After the Olympus scandal Japan toughened up its anti fraud laws so there is a small chance he could have broken these,  but it is highly unlikely that a prosecutor has any appetite for pursuing this given the lack of legal precedence in bitcoin.  The losses are fairly small in the grand scheme of things and International pressure is going to be pretty low.  The US authorities are probably glad the exchange has shut.  He will never go to court in my opinion even if he has broken the law which is far from certain.  

A private prosecution is always on the cards, but if they are bankrupt it seems like a large waste of money.  The administrators would probably get it dismissed before it ever reaches court.

But here is the US they don't really care about lack of legal procedures, they will accuse him of everything, including running a Ponzi Scheme, Look at Pirate 40,
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 12:08:01 AM

If he solves the mess by finding an investor nothing will happen. If not he'll be arrested.

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
TonyZX

Activity: 101

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 04:31:58 AM

I thin kthat he won't go to the court  Roll Eyes

I also think that he won't go there. I don't now how but he'll probably escape it.

Bitcoin is our past, present and future!
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 05:44:30 AM

If he solves the mess by finding an investor nothing will happen. If not he'll be arrested.

There are some investigations and law suits pending atm and I guess he will go to court for either of these irregardless if he finds a buyer or not. Finding one would only reduce the future number of law suits he will find himself in resulting from recent events, maybe even get him out of any of those but I guess he wont go unmolested by any trails from here on.
CrashX

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:13:36 AM

+1 he needs to have the books in good standing
mcleo

Activity: 77

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 06:22:32 AM

I think a) Mark has a lawyer, so he might not have to be in court for a year+ and b) even if he didn't, it could be months.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 07:37:38 AM

His lawyers will probably be in court filing for bankruptcy within a week.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
heavyb

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 07:04:40 PM

Bankruptcy protection does not protect from fraud charges. I have about 10 emails that will very clearly demonstrate that this was a case of fraud and not the BS he is saying.

Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 07:16:51 PM

Mark Karpeles at the Tokyo District Court.
exocytosis

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2014, 11:29:34 PM

I think he will most likely walk away as a free, happy man, settling down on a nice island somewhere in the Pacific, living in a castle and laughing all the way to the bank. Other key players from the Bitcoin Foundation will probably be joining him.

ijphlrnxewho
Legendary

Activity: 1582

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 08:34:56 AM

If this is a government conspiracy to try to regulate Bitcoin; you will soon find Mark Karpeles executed and it will be labeled as "suicide"
Lyomon86

Activity: 96

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:17:34 PM

I'd like to choose the option 5.  But more likely to happen that he will find a buyer normal service can resume and no court case will transpire
neutralist

Activity: 85

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 04:33:51 PM

Mark Karpeles is Jewish, probably member of the Zionist Illuminati. He will be immune to all these legal actions.
E.exchanger

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

NEED CRYPTO CODER? COIN DEVELOPER? PM US FOR HELP!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:02:09 PM

He should be in prison for life but that's certainly not the end of what people want. Everyone wants their money back which i think is never going to happen he should be forced to return money which doesn't belongs to him the money he has stolen. 
soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:43:55 PM

If the company doesn't find an investor then there's no way to recover the lost btc.  As presently I'm a loser in this, it would be nice to imagine it could be taken out of the fire even if it takes a year.  By that time most of my coins held by him would meet the requirements for long term capital investment assets twice over. (Maybe if we keep repeating loudly enough that the btc can't be recovered some ass will happily post how clever he was getting away with so many bitcoins.)
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Well hello there!

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 10:32:00 PM

The sad reality is people like Karpeles rarely go to jail.  And even if they do, it will be a proverbial slap on the wrist.  More than likely if Karpeles finds it unbearable to remain in Japan or his native homeland that he will probably end up sipping a latte on some beach in Cyprus. 

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: