Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:53:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon2 Single Modular 55nm CGMiner or BFGMiner detection  (Read 3515 times)
aquarat (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 12:34:53 PM

Hi

I recently received a second generation (55nm) Avalon2 Single unit. Avalon sells 2U rack-mount units for 4.5BTC that have three of these "single" units inside them. When you buy the single unit on it's own you get a small interface card with it that let's you connect the machine to a PC via USB.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like support for this module exists in either the latest CGMiner or BFGMiner. CGMiner has a driver-avalon2.c file and xiangfu has been contributing to it, but it appears as though cgminer lacks the linkage from identification to driver library to actually identify the device and start mining with it.

Can anyone help with getting CGMiner to recongise this device ? The device presents as a USB serial port under Linux :

Code:
Bus 001 Device 012: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x067b Prolific Technology, Inc.
  idProduct          0x2303 PL2303 Serial Port
  bcdDevice            4.00
  iManufacturer           1 Prolific Technology Inc.
  iProduct                2 USB-Serial Controller D
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
KyrosKrane

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2014, 02:58:05 PM

Assuming you mean the standard cgminer, not a vendor-specific version, you can ask in the main cgminer support thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28402.0

Same deal for bfgminer:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=168174.0

Tips and donations: 1KyrosREGDkNLp1rMd9wfVwfkXYHTd6j5U  |  BTC P2Pool node: p2pool.kyros.info:9332
xiangfu

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 03:35:16 PM

Hi

How do you compile your cgminer? you have to add --enable-avalon2 for cgminer support Avalon2 machine. or you can use the compiled firmware for 703n or Rpi:
  http://downloads.canaan-creative.com/software/avalon2/

More documents:
  https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon2

Xiangfu

Can anyone help with getting CGMiner to recongise this device ? The device presents as a USB serial port under Linux :

aquarat (OP)

Activity: 16

View Profile
March 11, 2014, 11:00:51 PM

Thanks Xiangfu. To answer my own question, this was the process I used :

CGMiner does not detect the Avalon2 by default. CGMiner is primarily a USB-only application and while the Avalon2 singles have USB ports on them they are essentially still serial devices (just with a Prolific RS232 adapter stuck on them). For this reason CGMiner doesn't auto-detect Avalon2 units, this has two implications :

1. You always have to compile with --enable-avalon2 and something else (CGMiner just quits if I only enable Avalon2 and nothing else)
and
2. CGMiner must be given the serial device to which the AVA2 is attached : cgminer -S /dev/ttyUSB0 .

To start from scratch on your own Ubuntu/Debian system (I followed this process on both Raspbian and an x86_64 machine) :

Install dependencies as per ckolivas/cgminer git readme :
sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf automake libtool pkg-config libcurl3-dev libudev-dev libncurses5-dev

Then clone the repo :
git clone https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer.git

change into the directory :
cd cgminer

Autogen :
./autogen.sh

Then configure (with the pipe option so that everything is done in RAM) :
export CFLAGS="-pipe"
./configure --enable-avalon --enable-avalon2

Then compile :
make

You can also go "make -j 4" if you have a 4-core machine (or however many cores your machine has).

Once it's done compiling, you can optionally install it with "make install" or you can run it from the directory with "./cgminer". Either way you'll need to execute cgminer with the following arguments :

./cgminer -S /dev/ttyUSB0 --avalon2-voltage 10000 --avalon2-freq 1500 --avalon2-fan 100

The ttyUSB0 device is your first USB serial port. CGMiner seems to handle multiple -S arguments correctly (multiple singles per cgminer instance).
avalon2-voltage at 10000 is 1.0V (the max is 1.1V).
avalon2-freq is the core frequency... the default is 1500... but I've overclocked mine to 1700 with a 1.1V.
avalon2-fan is obviously the fan speed as a percentage, I just keep mine at 100%.

At a clock of 1500 and 1.0V the device at a room temperature of 24 degrees C with good airflow hits about 64 degrees C. At 1700 with a 1.1V set the device hits around 74 degrees C in the same environment. Both of these assume the fan is at 100%.

The device does not have a thermal throttle/cut-out, so it's important to watch the temperature when overclocking. Xiangfu indicated on IRC that 80 degrees C is acceptable.

You can monitor temperature by adding "--api-listen" to cgminer's arguments and compiling cgminer-api :
gcc api-example.c -Icompat/jansson-2.5 -Icompat/libusb-1.0/libusb -o cgminer-api

If you run "./cgminer-api stats" one of the fields output will be the temperature. Another useful field that's output is the hardware error %.
seminer

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 01:44:10 AM

Hi

How do you compile your cgminer? you have to add --enable-avalon2 for cgminer support Avalon2 machine. or you can use the compiled firmware for 703n or Rpi:
  http://downloads.canaan-creative.com/software/avalon2/

More documents:
  https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Avalon2

Xiangfu

Hi Xiangfu,

This is seminer. I have been trying to set up my btc mining rig for 8 days now. Here is what I am working with:

msi z77A-G45 motherboard (1 ethernet plugin)

Do I put the ethernet cable in my century link router or in my one ethernet port on my motherboard?

I do not have wireless internet on my desktop.

4 - Avalon 2 single modules (~105 Gh/s)
4-Corsair cx 430 power supply units (psu)
1 TPLINK WR703N router with power, usb, ethernet inputs... ip address sticker reads: 192.168.1.207
1 4-slot usb hub (to connect each usb cable off of the avalon 2

Linux Xubuntu 12.10
BFGMiner 3.2.0. 64bit
cgminer 4.0.0.   64 bit   (No experience with cgminer and linux terminal commands)
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr703n-v1-squashfs-factory.bin            -- What do i do with a bin file in linux terminal?

When I connect to my tplink wr 703n router via ethernet which is connected to each of my four avalon 2 modules, i can connect to 192.168.1.207. I enter root for user and 123 for password and log in successfully. When I see the OpenWrt Overview LuCI webgui home page, there are more than eight tabs of configuration settings. I do not know how to get my Avalon 2 units mining. I want to configure bfgminer for these Avalon2 modules. I know some linux terminal commands to get a gpu mining. But now I need to learn some avalon asic linux terminal commands to get them going. I can not configure the router for mining. I also need to figure out my new terminal command to start the avalon 2 mining. I created an account with btcpoolman. Do you have any advice? Thank you.

Seminer

baileys2611

Activity: 41

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 07:18:19 AM

Would be interested to hear if you have had any success with the single modular Avalon2s. I'm trying to get two running, one in Ubuntu, the other in Windows and am not have any luck at all.  Do you absolutely need to use wrt to mine with these things? Surely you can plug them in to Ubuntu and use them nativley by now.  I can see the single modulars in /dev/ttyUSB0 and 1, just can't get them recognised in CG or BFG miner...

Angry
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2014, 07:28:43 AM

Would be interested to hear if you have had any success with the single modular Avalon2s. I'm trying to get two running, one in Ubuntu, the other in Windows and am not have any luck at all.  Do you absolutely need to use wrt to mine with these things? Surely you can plug them in to Ubuntu and use them nativley by now.  I can see the single modulars in /dev/ttyUSB0 and 1, just can't get them recognised in CG or BFG miner...

Angry

See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=493358.msg6244002#msg6244002

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: