Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:27:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What would the top coins be if people were sane?  (Read 742 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 09:40:42 AM
Merited by Foxpup (3)

This altcoin massacre made me ponder what the coin market cap listing should look like, if this stuff was based on real fundamental value and not pure pump-and-dump speculation. I'd put XMR and ETH at a very distant second and third to BTC, since they each provide some very real features over BTC which people are using right now to good effect (though each has problems). I haven't looked into the more recent ones much, though. Are there any others that are backed by more than empty promises?
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mdayonliner
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 420

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 10:04:37 AM
Merited by frodocooper (1)

This altcoin massacre made me ponder what the coin market cap listing should look like,
For a handsome amount of time (few minutes) I thought "massacre" itself was an altcoin LOL.

Too many crypto to get confused and now a days these ICOs are launching so many coins that I hope you will not think me a stupid to get confused with the wording  Tongue
I was even started replying the topic with the following...  Grin
I looked on CMC for massacre but I have not got any result.

Anyway, I don't believe that coin market cap always list the coins based on fundamental value. CMC and other listing sites or even most of the exchanges now a days list a coin based on hype, pump-and-dump. May be they don't bother too much coz money is coming in their pocket.

Are there any others that are backed by more than empty promises?
I wish I could however my knowledge is very limited to find some other coins that has actual value. There should be one or more I guess.
Tankdestroyer

Activity: 476
Merit: 107

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 01:53:51 PM

Anyway, I don't believe that coin market cap always list the coins based on fundamental value. CMC and other listing sites or even most of the exchanges now a days list a coin based on hype, pump-and-dump.
Are they really listing based on hype? I thought they are listing the coin's rankings based on its market cap and trading volume(take note that not all coins listed on rankings are manipulated by hype, one example of which is dogecoin which is currently on top 30).
Are there any others that are backed by more than empty promises?
I believe there are none. Most of the altcoins nowadays might have a working product but only a few people use it or none at all.
QuadeBarrier

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 07:34:03 PM

In reality the majority of the alt coins do provide something that gives it value, else they wouldn't be a top coin. You can say that some coins provide better tech than Eth, and in that sense Eth should be below them, but Eth was there first and grew its value before those other coins. The people who hold Eth aren't going to submit and say, "Here, I will dump simply so that you can take our position as number two."

A lot of coins can do what Bitcoin does and more, but again, it's all about supply and demand, and people's money.

If this were a household item, where Bitcoin is an object you own, and something better came along, then yeah, you could replace it with that something better.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 06:35:45 AM
Merited by suchmoon (7), theymos_away (1)

This altcoin massacre made me ponder what the coin market cap listing should look like, if this stuff was based on real fundamental value and not pure pump-and-dump speculation. I'd put XMR and ETH at a very distant second and third to BTC, since they each provide some very real features over BTC which people are using right now to good effect (though each has problems). I haven't looked into the more recent ones much, though. Are there any others that are backed by more than empty promises?

A coin can still succeed even if it doesn't provide a distinct benefit over another coin. Consider that there are several rental car companies even though there is little incentive to prefer one to another. For that reason, I think that you will see several classes of coins having distinct use cases and then several coins in each class -- probably a single major coin and one or two lesser coins, along with a bunch of worthless coins. So, I would add LTC, DASH, and ZCash as minor coins to the list. I might add EOS to the list simply because it has a huge following and a ton of money.

There are also a few utility tokens that are actually being used today. Binance Coin (BNB) is going to have value as long as Binance is around.

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 06:38:32 AM

The valuation of all crypto is currently grossly inflated by rampant financial speculation. For example, a few weeks ago, the price of bitcoin was increasing due to speculation that a bitcoin ETF would be approved in the near future. In other words, people were speculating that the masses would have the ability to speculate on the future price of bitcoin.

If various cryptos were valued not on speculation, but on actual volume of financial transactions, bitcoin would likely be first, followed by bitcoin cash and ether. Most other altcoins would be more or less worthless if they were valued by actual financial transactions.

Financial speculation is not all bad (although I would argue current levels are excessive and otherwise bad), as it will lead to innovation. In the future, I can see both EOS and IOTA financial transaction volume increasing, although the alleged weaknesses in cryptography in IOTA will need to be addressed (if real), and financial transactions in EOS will be very different than the financial transactions in most other coins.   
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 08:52:12 AM

Adoption is the key to survival much more than features.

A coin can still succeed even if it doesn't provide a distinct benefit over another coin. Consider that there are several rental car companies even though there is little incentive to prefer one to another.

There are a number of coins that don't really offer more than Bitcoin but they can be used and exchanged for goods and services. LTC, DOGE and BCH all pretty much serve the same purpose but they stand out from a lot of others because you can actually spend them. Even CLAM will survive as long as JustDice does. The massacre is going to hit the coins that can only be traded at an exchange and have no other function.

This massacre talk started with that Tweet from Ted Rogers saying that 90%+ listed at CoinMarketCap will disappear eventually. I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a list of 100 coins that I could exchange for goods or services.
mdayonliner
Copper Member

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 09:40:06 AM

take note that not all coins listed on rankings are manipulated by hype
Here you just confirmed your doubt  Smiley
xtraelv
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924

฿ear ride on the rainbow slide

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 11:15:56 AM

For a handsome amount of time (few minutes) I thought "massacre" itself was an altcoin LOL.

I looked on CMC for massacre but I have not got any result.

There may not be a massacre on coinmarketcap

The closest I found was mascara on coinmakeup

https://www.coinmakeup.com/en/11-mascara

How did I end up there ?   Shocked
Makkara

Activity: 1064
Merit: 166

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 11:19:23 AM

Ripple if you actually look at the facts

Hint https://medium.com/coil/codius-smart-contracts-made-from-containers-b3b16c3e3890

Tankdestroyer

Activity: 476
Merit: 107

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 09:58:36 PM

That depends on the altcoin. Smart-contract and privacy cryptocurrency have bigger user than you think.
The number of real users on smart contract and privacy focused cryptocurrencies are smaller than you think. Looking at statistics, there might be many people using those coins you are referring to but most of them use it merely for speculation. I wouldn't count those who use privacy focused cryptocurrency and erc20 tokens contract to speculate as users if I were you.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 10:21:38 PM

I would add LTC, DASH, and ZCash as minor coins to the list.

Also ETC as an alternative to ETH when the latter is "massacred" by some stupid cat game or when the Central Bank of Vitalik decides to roll the chain back.
allahabadi

Activity: 952
Merit: 166

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 05:21:42 AM

I know that it's a work in progress and not a coin till mainnet comes out; but Holo (HOT) is something I'm betting on for adoption due to it's usecase.
mdayonliner
Copper Member

We are Bitcoin!

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 08:35:55 AM

XRP does not even fit some of the criteria of cryptocurrency. Do you think it's even decentralized? 
reactorjuno

Activity: 322
Merit: 43

View Profile
August 18, 2018, 06:41:10 PM

Many will disagree but I think BCH would be ahead of BTC in the scenario described by OP. Because BCH scales on-chain, Bitcoin does as well originally but Lightning Network massively decreases the real (original) value of Bitcoin.

shanem
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 03:28:03 AM

I believe that coins like TRON and XRP will not be in the top ten of coinmarketcap if people are sane. TRON is overhyped while banks are not using XRP but just the Ripple Gateway. I don't see why XRP has such a huge market cap when there are billions of coins. BTS should be one of the top coins when they have a decentralized exchange and they have overtaken ETH in the number of daily transaction.
r1s2g3

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 07:13:15 AM

I am very new to crypto currency  and still learning about BTC. If I have to make choice I will take STEEM as second one.

My take:
1. It has blogging platform where you curate and author and can get paid. Depending upon your investment you can get curation rewards
2. Anybody can use that platform whatever the background you have . You do not need to be crypto currency expert .
3. Steem Power can be leased to earn the interest , or if curation power is used intelligently then it is further increase in your steem power.

I think Steemit can be used with ease, al tough platform is too much monetized as using bots for upvoting is permissible there.
kwarktaart

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 11:38:57 AM

XMR should be nr3
volos57

Activity: 89
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 11:58:26 AM

in my opinion the coin BNB is enough demand. it works, yet strongly attached to the exchange BINANCE but she has a future. (of course if the exchange did not stop working). and stability while demonstrating tether is great to lock in profits earned on the stock exchanges.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3209

View Profile
August 19, 2018, 05:23:01 PM

Here is a good list: Cryptocurrencies in the Top 100 With Working Products That Are In-Use
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: