Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:49:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Delete one or more Block  (Read 217 times)
nedian (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 02:17:41 PM

Is it possible in Blockchain to remove one or more block from the networks?
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 02:32:05 PM

Is it possible in Blockchain to remove one or more block from the networks?

Yes, if two miners find a block at the same time, this could cause a network split. one of these blocks is going to be orphaned, ( the one that is the slowest to have the next block build ontop of it usually).

The block that will be orphaned could have been seen as "valid/confirmed" by a number of services, but is now "deleted" (or rather not included in) from the main chain, with all the transactions that it confirmed.

See https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/5859/what-are-orphaned-and-stale-blocks for more information on orphaned blocks.

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2018, 02:33:05 PM

In theory, if you have more than 50% of the hashrate and can keep that hashrate so you have enough time (the more blocks you want to overwrite, the more time it takes) to build your own chain which 'overwrites' the blocks, yes.
But practically this is NOT possible. That's the whole sense of an (immutable) blockchain.

These blocks also wouldn't be 'deleted'. They would represent a small fork. But nodes do still have access to these blocks. They are just no longer part of the valid chain.
The data (information) itself would still be accessible by these nodes.

Each miner who would try to do that (even if suceeded) would lose a ton of money. The network is conceived that it is more lucrative to keep the network running honestly, than to be malicious.

butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 02:34:55 PM

To put it simply:

No, if it is buried deep in the blockchain.

Yes, if it is at the top of the blockchain, or close to the top.

That's why there is the rule to wait for 6 confirmations before a payment is confirmed. There is nothing special about the number 6, but it is practically impossible to replace a block that has 6 or more blocks on top of it.
twthmoses

Activity: 301
Merit: 103

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 08:14:38 PM

To put it simply:

No, if it is buried deep in the blockchain.

Yes, if it is at the top of the blockchain, or close to the top.

That's why there is the rule to wait for 6 confirmations before a payment is confirmed. There is nothing special about the number 6, but it is practically impossible to replace a block that has 6 or more blocks on top of it.

Very interesting. The number six was simply randomly chosen? Or by six confirmations the possibility to do serious damage to the chain is now so statistical large that it becomes impossible in practice? I’m asking, because I always find a fascination on how some standards / values get chosen. Is it based on probability for a given outcome, or just really randomly chosen.
butka

Activity: 434
Merit: 246

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 08:43:03 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2018, 08:53:37 PM by butka

Very interesting. The number six was simply randomly chosen? Or by six confirmations the possibility to do serious damage to the chain is now so statistical large that it becomes impossible in practice? I’m asking, because I always find a fascination on how some standards / values get chosen. Is it based on probability for a given outcome, or just really randomly chosen.
I think 6 is just a commonly used number. There is no rule in the strict sense of the word, but the deeper you go the safer you are. The deeper you go, the more certain you are that your transaction will end up on the consensus chain.

I don't think it's possible even if it's only one block, because the blockchain in the design won't be able to break down and of course it's transparent and that's all the attraction of the blockchain
No, with one block you are not safe. At least in theory, because it can be orphaned. Not sure about 2 blocks, but even 2 blocks can sometimes be orphaned.

I agree, but it's a ridiculous for small transaction/payment since no sane people would try 51% attack. Most payment service/processor usually set a confirmation as default, while few others even accept 0-conf.
Sure, with small payments you are always safe. No one is going to perform a 51% attack to double spend small amounts. But with large transactions you should wait these 6 blocks.

suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2018, 08:43:59 PM
Merited by butka (3), ABCbits (1)

It's not officially "chosen". Anyone can choose to rely on any number of confirmations they feel comfortable with. Here are some examples of potential risks:

https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf page 8
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: