Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:28:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cryptocurrency Theft  (Read 405 times)
promise99 (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2018, 11:11:12 PM

My ETH funds were stolen and I am sure I didn't give out or handled carelessly the Mnemonic phrase, JSON file, private key nor the key store. Please I want to know ways by which a cryptocurrency wallet could be hacked.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cryptogeek101

Activity: 798
Merit: 250

homt.net

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2018, 11:29:07 PM

My ETH funds were stolen and I am sure I didn't give out or handled carelessly the Mnemonic phrase, JSON file, private key nor the key store. Please I want to know ways by which a cryptocurrency wallet could be hacked.

Cryptocurrency wallets can only be hacked when the private keys are compromised, so the best thing to do to make sure you keep your private key information well secured.

HOMT

Powered by,
TravelMug

Activity: 2632
Merit: 833

View Profile
August 16, 2018, 11:58:32 PM

Phishing. Perhaps you click something around the web or on your email (malicious links). Or a MEW phishing link. Or you download some malware on your pc. Do a full scan of your pc and remove that trojan/malware that stole your password. Just be careful next time and think before you click. Hard and very expensive lessons to learn.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

There are many ways to lose your money.

1. You could have downloaded your wallet from the wrong site.
2. You downloaded the wallet from the correct site but during that time the site was hacked and you did not verified the wallet.
3. You clicked in a phishing link or entered your sensitive data in a phishing website.
4. Your computer was compromised and a keylogger was installed.
5. Someone close to you stole your coins.

And that is only out of the top of my head.
enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 04:24:22 AM

Among is that signing in into phishing site is common which  why  its advised not to sign indirectly  when a link is received from an email. You should just visit the bookmarked pages which I  believe we always do when we keep visiting the site. If you keep  visiting  bitcointalk.org then bookmark this  forum , its easier to access and you won't commit mistake by using your login details when login into a phishing site. If you are using myetherwallet then bookmark  it.

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
poonampawan

Activity: 55
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 04:30:52 AM

There are many ways to lose your money.

1. You could have downloaded your wallet from the wrong site.
2. You downloaded the wallet from the correct site but during that time the site was hacked and you did not verified the wallet.
3. You clicked in a phishing link or entered your sensitive data in a phishing website.
4. Your computer was compromised and a keylogger was installed.
5. Someone close to you stole your coins.

And that is only out of the top of my head.

Other than all above, there are many scam airdrops are going on and they ask you to sign your wallet before you can claim your coins but the link they provide is not of myetherwallet. There is just small change in spelling or any special character is there. If you did do any airdrop like that and signed your wallet, that can also be the reason for which your private key was compromied.
askmecrypto

Activity: 406
Merit: 109

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 05:04:24 AM

A lot many answers are given up already, I have earlier written a well guide for newbies in an another topic, this may help
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4407228.msg43746101#msg43746101
Jamesdila1

Activity: 686
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 05:04:49 AM

if you used a phishing link to access mew or anyother ETH related site then it can be the reason. also dont install unknown extensions for chrome and even for mobile use avast antivirus

●   RiveMont   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  RVMT  ❱❱❱❱❱❱ 
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  DeFi token  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
Benabod

Activity: 184

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 05:21:30 AM

Getting hacked can only happen when you login to a phishing websites, some don't verify the sites can they login to and the way to prevent login to phishing sites is by not clicking directly, better bookmark all the sites you're using and secondly never ever share your private keys with anyone and crosscheck before imputing your private keys to see if the site is certified when you're using myetherwallet or better bookmark it too to prevent getting hacked
bhadz

Activity: 2422
Merit: 564

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 05:48:02 AM

What are the websites that you visited recently? My suspect is you just became careless and you logged in to a phishing link though you said that you are careful of not giving out your keys, you are still vulnerable to log in to a fake site / phishing site that you aren't aware if you are in a hurry or you just really don't care of that site you are logging in. Like what has been said, you probably downloaded something that contains malware that affected your computer that allowed the intruders to touch your files on your pc.

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████████▀█████████████▄
███████████▄▐▀▄██████████
███████▀▀███████▀▀███████
██████▀███▄▄████████████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
█████████▐█████████▐█████
██████████▀███▀███▄██████
████████████████▄▄███████
███████████▄▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████
▀█████▄▄████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
Peach
BTC bitcoin
Buy and Sell
Bitcoin P2P
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████████
██████▄
▄██
█████████████████▄
▄███████
██████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀

▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀
EUROPE | AFRICA
LATIN AMERICA
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

███████▄█
███████▀
██▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄
████████████▀
▐███████████▌
▐███████████▌
████████████▄
██████████████
███▀███▀▀███▀
Download on the
App Store
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄

▄██▄
██████▄
█████████▄
████████████▄
███████████████
████████████▀
█████████▀
██████▀
▀██▀
GET IT ON
Google Play
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
waser12

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 05:53:54 AM

Do not click on any sort of fishing links in email. It is the most spread way of hacking crypto wallets. Also be super attentive while doing with crypto.

nunibanuni

Activity: 109

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2018, 05:58:53 AM

The most probable caused is you visit a phishing site. Without your private key its not possible for anyone to hack your wallet, its either someone knew your private key or you visited a phishing site.
cola-jere

Activity: 665
Merit: 107

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 06:05:49 AM

You probably went to a phishing MEW site.
Or maybe you participated in those scam airdrops that promises to give something if you enter your private keys.

Try to get a Legit Ledger Nano for long term strorage.

Teebass001

Activity: 110
Merit: 1

Staker.network - POS Smart Contract ETH Token

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 06:07:24 AM

Eeyah! Sorry about your loss buddy. You need to be more careful next time. There are actually many ways one can get hacked. It maybe that your cloud storage, where you store your passwords, private key, mnemonics phrases, email, Evernote etc was hacked. That's why it's important you use a 2FA to secure those accounts. Stop clicking links you didn't solicit for too. If you are a bounty hunter or airdrop lover, get a separate email for those, don't mix it with emails with sensitive informations.  Make sure your Antivirus is up to date too. Stay safe Bro

STAKER.network ] ━━ [ The Next Proof-of-Stake Smart Contract Token
] ⚁ 100% 1st Year Interest [ ━━ ] ⚀ Free Airdrops [
btccashacc
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 06:20:24 AM

First of all, I'm really sorry for your lost. secondly, you have to tell us what kind of wallet you use for storing your amount? If you use MEW or any web wallet then it must be a phishing site that you've entered. Without the private key, someone can't get access to your balance, in order to protect your amount if you are using a web wallet service such a MEW or even blockchain.info you have to check the address or it's certificate before giving your personal detail to the web moreover if you want to get extra protection then you better go with hardware wallet.
kier010

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 06:44:52 AM

so what wallet are you using? if it is mew then maybe you click a phishing link. you should use metamask to access your wallet to avoid hack. if it is an exchange sites then better stop and avoid them. you can't trust an exchange sites for storing your funds.
lunaelucemauram

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 07:17:17 AM

It is moat likely that either of the two happened to you first is that you have entered the wrong site the accessed your wallet through there or the website where you have accessed your wallet has been hacked but I believe it is the former as if the site was hacked then there should already been a news that a wallet site has been hacked but as of now there isn't such news.
groko271

Activity: 790
Merit: 505

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 08:06:34 AM

usually weak security. main reasons are...

....obv a trogan virus or similar
.....a keylogger exploit  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystroke_logging
......your friend/work colleague pinched your passes (yes it happens)
.....fake ETH phishing site stealing your data (etherwallet does provide a warning on this regarding their site)
...the new c&p virus circulating the crypto world. (its unlikely this as your situations is different, however since you asked above i added this one. https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/03/new-malware-highjacks-your-windows-clipboard-to-change-crypto-addresses/

hdtqisg

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2018, 10:22:20 AM

There are many reasons for hacking:
  You exposing your wallet information (Mnemonic phrase, JSON file, private key or key store and other)
  + Using 3rd party software is not secure
  + A mistake when using your wallet.
iAMawi123

Activity: 350
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2018, 01:29:17 PM

Well, I also experienced something like that in the past. All of my funds were stolen and I was like "there's no way!" "I never entered any phishing sites and gave out my private key" and yet, I should just accept that it was compromised and start again from the scratch.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄░░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░░░░░░░░▄████████████▄░░▄████████████▄
░░░░░░░░█▄▀█████████████████████████▀▄█
░░░░░░░░███▄▀█████████████████████▀▄███
░░░░░░░░█████▄▀█████████████████▀▄█████
░░░░░░░░███████▄▄▀███████████▀▄▄███████
░░░░░░░░██████████▄▄▀█████▀▄▄██████████
░░░░░░░░█████████████▄▀█▀▄█████████████
░░░░░░░░▀▀█████████████░░████████████▀▀
░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████████░░██████████▀▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀████████░░████████▀▀